Powered By Reef Breeders Tank Build!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Afishionado

Richard @ Afishionado Channel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Logan! Nice thread. Looks like it's coming along nicely! I cant wait to see the progress down the road. :)

OP
OP
Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update 8/1/2018

First fish and Corals are in! I stopped by OSA www.OSAcorals.com and picked up some softies to get me started, a Superman mushroom, some kind of other red and green shroom, and some purple and neon green/orange clove polyps. My lights only run for 10 hours a day, so I am waiting for them to come on this afternoon. Corals are already starting to open under the moonlights.

I also added my first fish, a Chalk Basslet. He is currently still in hiding, in one of the many caves in the aquascape, I will keep an eye out for him over the next couple of days.

Pics coming soon! I want to let the lights fire up a bit, I don't have them come on until 1pm EST.

OP
OP
Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_4982.JPG

Not a great picture but I got the Chalk Basslet, the 2 shrooms, and the clove polyps in one shot. Everything is still opening/coloring up.

Also- I manually removed the rest of the algae from my sandbed this morning. Since the snails picked it off the rocks, it hasn't returned. I am running some GFO as well to manage phosphates- and that seems to have done the trick. Now I can see little tiny splotches of coraline algae popping up on the rockwork. I'm excited for how this is going to develop in the next month or so!

Next week- provided everything is doing well, I am going to add my first sps frags. My plan originally was to do a lot of encrusting sps. I think I will start with meteor shower cyphastrea, or a cooler color if I can find one :)

OP
OP
Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! It's been too long since I did an update. The tank has slowly but surely been looking like a reef tank. This Thursday I added some new frags and art thanks to the guys at @credabelcorallabs! Shoutout to Justin and Michael- they are very knowledgeable and dedicated reef keepers- in addition to being scientists and artists. It's awesome to have a place like this in New London, which is a pretty short drive from RI.

IMG_5074.JPG

@CredabelCoralLabs very own blend of amino acids:

IMG_5072.JPG

I also have an awesome print from Rachel Fogle @ReefWeeds ready to be hung- I need a frame first but it will go up soon :)

As equipment goes I finally added a protein skimmer, the Coral Box D300+, and it is starting to collect some skimmate now that I have a total of 4 fish to produce some waste.

I also changed up my lighting schedule. Until now, I ran all channels at 20% for a total of 10 hours sunrise to sunset. I now extended that to a total of 12 hours so that I can have more viewing time, as I get home at odd hours and need to feed the fish with the lights still on. I also adjusted the color ratio, and I am now running the following: Ch1: 10%, CH2: 10%, CH3: 30% CH4: 20% CH5: 30% CH6 30%. That gives me a crisp 18K look, it's nice and blue and makes the colors pop and the tank look amazing, without going overboard on the blue end.

IMG_5069.JPG

IMG_5073.JPG

I measured Ca and Alk, and got a Ca of 420ppm, and an Alk of 7. I will test again in a few days, if the values are reduced it's time to install the Coral Box WiFi Dosing pump to keep up with the demand between water changes.

IMG_5070.JPG

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Logan, I've been so busy with my tank, and other hobbies I haven't been to this forum in too long! Nice build, of course I like it, it's fairly similar to mine in size (your 90g to my 50g) and hardware (Reef Breeders V2 leds, Coral Box skimmer and DC6000 return). I have to say the leds and the skimmer are great! And today I'm ordering a new wavemaker (I have a question for you about it, but I'll start a new thread).

I'm just getting ready to do my final rockscape so I can try to get all my frags in the tank! Currently half are in the tank and half are in the refugium! So I'm doing a massive rock slope with room for way more frags.

Last edited:
Back