powerful enough for a 5 gallon SPS dominant with a few Acros?

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the circuit board of my light got friend last week or so so I need a new light for my 5 gallon which i d
like to make SPS dominant and absolutely include a few Acros in. Will 60 watts be strong enough for a 5 gallon with acros? I know very little when it comes to lighting!
Screenshot_2023-11-14-10-02-35-075_com.shopee.th.jpg

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Noopsyche k7 mini on a 15g tank and it is bright enough for anything. It will easily be enough light for your tank.
The only downside of the Noopsyche lights is that the app and Wi-Fi connectivity aren’t the best.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has 3 channels and each of them can be set individually. Plus you can set schedules to ramp them up and down.
Great!...btw, the shop I generally buy from got some well encrusted pieces in stock now... better than before! Bonsai, beautiful milli frag, and a green goblin! Of course I'm not holding my breath since Acros have never been easy for me but the prices are great for nicely encrusted pieces.
Screenshot_2023-11-14-11-35-49-980_jp.naver.line.android.jpg Screenshot_2023-11-14-11-31-43-935_jp.naver.line.android.jpg Screenshot_2023-11-14-11-31-08-215_jp.naver.line.android.jpg

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want an idea of the par here is a video that a forum member made on a 15g tank. It should still give you an idea of the par you can expect.

Bookmarked. I've been kicking around the idea of one of these on the IM 15 that I just set up

Edit: I'm looking at the K7 pro V3. Still good info and thank you.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
140 watts is just a little unnecessary now that I scaled down haha... without a par meter (can't find one anywhere here) I'd never really know how intense the light was and obviously I don't need that for a 5 gallon under any circumstances!

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bookmarked. I've been kicking around the idea of one of these on the IM 15 that I just set up

Edit: I'm looking at the K7 pro V3. Still good info and thank you.
Yeah I have 6 of the K7 Pro V3 lights above my 125g tank. Honestly the lights are great and I don’t think you can beat them for the price. I’ve heard mixed reviews about their support, although I’ve never had any issues personally. Most of the issues came from people buying the lights from discount sites like Ali express instead of Noopsyches website.

They originally used a controller which everyone complained about so NooPsyche listened and add Wi-Fi connectivity and an app, and honestly I dislike the app more than the old controller. Once you get them setup they’re a good light though.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I have 6 of the K7 Pro V3 lights above my 125g tank. Honestly the lights are great and I don’t think you can beat them for the price. I’ve heard mixed reviews about their support, although I’ve never had any issues personally. Most of the issues came from people buying the lights from discount sites like Ali express instead of Noopsyches website.

They originally used a controller which everyone complained about so NooPsyche listened and add Wi-Fi connectivity and an app, and honestly I dislike the app more than the old controller. Once you get them setup they’re a good light though.
I liked it a lot...the 2nd generation remote looked like a joke but the 3rd generation was ok

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
140 watts is just a little unnecessary now that I scaled down haha... without a par meter (can't find one anywhere here) I'd never really know how intense the light was and obviously I don't need that for a 5 gallon under any circumstances!
Even on a 15g tank the V3 seems like probably overkill.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I liked it a lot...the 2nd generation remote looked like a joke but the 3rd generation was ok
It feels really cheap but it gets the job done. Honestly once I got the hang of the controller I prefer it. Although the app does give more control.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If par meters werent practically impossible to find without buying I would've enjoyed it more though...I really was always slightly uncertain about how much light the more sensitive corals were receiving. It isn't a cheap light either...well built imo.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It feels really cheap but it gets the job done. Honestly once I got the hang of the controller I prefer it. Although the app does give more control.
I'd prefer the app as well but the remote was ok...I never used it much anyway

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd prefer the app as well but the remote was ok...I never used it much anyway
That’s why I don’t mind the short comings of the app or controller. I’m one of the people that once I set the light up I never change anything ever again.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.2%
Back