powerful enough for a 5 gallon SPS dominant with a few Acros?

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like a lot of times people make the mistake of equating affordable as lower quality...it was a great light for 3 years for me until the accident which was my fault

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll likely never buy into the Radions and top dollar lights. I just don't feel like there's much to be gained personally but money to be lost... unless of course you really need that coverage but even then a few less expensive lights would probably work as well or better

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Gtinnel does those look like good pieces to venture into the Acro world to you? Everyone recommends a green goblin so I picked it and the Bonsai and Milli appear to be pretty well encrusted. That's important to me since you can never be sure whether or not they were wild or maricultures so at least encrusting over the base indicates that they've been in captivity for a little while at least.

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even on a 15g tank the V3 seems like probably overkill.
On a 15 it will be dialed way down. Especially in a mixed reef 15. But, two wafers are better than one. I'm tired of shadowing on little tanks. The k7pro won't fix it entirely, but it will make.a huge difference vs a prime HD16.

For reference I also have a rebreeders photon 24+ on a 25 gallon lagoon. The difference in all over vs spot lighting is immeasurable. Growth patterns, colors, growth speed, all of it increases when your lighting isn't center focused.

Also, I don't have to drive the chips very hard Vs the prime that I am pushing as hard as they can go. If there is an opportunity to over buy lighting for a reasonable price, do it.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a 15 it will be dialed way down. Especially in a mixed reef 15. But, two wafers are better than one. I'm tired of shadowing on little tanks. The k7pro won't fix it entirely, but it will make.a huge difference vs a prime HD16.

For reference I also have a rebreeders photon 24+ on a 25 gallon lagoon. The difference in all over vs spot lighting is immeasurable. Growth patterns, colors, growth speed, all of it increases when your lighting isn't center focused.

Also, I don't have to drive the chips very hard Vs the prime that I am pushing as hard as they can go. If there is an opportunity to over buy lighting for a reasonable price, do it.
If everyone wasn't already saying the 60 is far more than enough, I would because the price isn't too far apart actually but I am trying to save a little money at the moment and actually just scaled down without plans to scale back up too soon so for now I think the 60 will do...otherwise I'd be with you 100%

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Gtinnel does those look like good pieces to venture into the Acro world to you? Everyone recommends a green goblin so I picked it and the Bonsai and Milli appear to be pretty well encrusted. That's important to me since you can never be sure whether or not they were wild or maricultures so at least encrusting over the base indicates that they've been in captivity for a little while at least.
I don’t know that you want my opinion with sps, since I have had mixed success. Overall I believe the Anacropora and Bonsai are generally hardier for sps corals. The milli being the more delicate of the 3.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know that you want my opinion with sps, since I have had mixed success. Overall I believe the Anacropora and Bonsai are generally hardier corals. The milli being the more delicate of the 3.
I understand... everyone has VERY mixed opinions it seems...some people were absolutely recommending them while others were advising to to pick differently. I was thinking that maybe it would be a good idea to try 3 different species mostly...they're not pricey btw (not that that means I don't care how they do or anything though).

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm tired of shadowing on little tanks.
I understand that completely. That’s why I have 6 of them over a 6 foot tank. That tank is one of the cheap rimmed tanks with center braces so I ended up getting some awful shadowing from the braces. I found that putting 6 lights on my tank fixed the problem.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand that completely. That’s why I have 6 of them over a 6 foot tank. That tank is one of the cheap rimmed tanks with center braces so I ended up getting some awful shadowing from the braces. I found that putting 6 lights on my tank fixed the problem.
I'm absolutely hoping for success but not fooling myself into believing it'll just happen no matter what...I've always been a really big Scoly fan personally as well a certain other LPS and NPS...I've kept digis and Psammacora but not these finicky guys yet

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd love one of the big strawberry shortcake frags my guy has! They're beautiful and pretty sizeable I'd say! I don't want to start with a notoriously delicate piece though.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's calling this a blueberry shortcake...he has strawberries too...
Screenshot_2023-11-14-12-54-33-350_jp.naver.line.android.jpg

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, either tomorrow or Saturday I'm getting my Acros! I had to delay because of an issue with my light and the new one should arrive tomorrow. Luckily those 3 pieces are still available! I think I might get a couple pieces of that ocean live rock straight from Indonesia I posted about trying to help you guys get some a week or so ago just to add more area for the frags...well, its also pretty incredible on its own...can't lie about that!

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The guy sold them before I got there...I'll buy from the other good shop....I know this is a Psammacora instead of an acro and I was planning to kinda try to gain experience with acros but are these very common because I haven't seen many at all? I really don't care if it being an uncommon piece makes me evil to the core in the eyes of the many saints on the internet, I'd prefer to stock to only 3 acros unless this piece is uncommon.
Screenshot_2023-11-18-14-02-41-081_jp.naver.line.android.jpg

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@A Young Reefer I'm about to add these pieces to my 5 gallon. I'm getting a couple acros to try too. Look how beautiful the selection of mini Scolys that they had yesterday are...I decided to get 3 but there's one more I really like...
Screenshot_2023-11-17-21-42-29-238_jp.naver.line.android.jpg Screenshot_2023-11-17-21-42-34-700_jp.naver.line.android.jpg 1700235349345.jpg 1700234654149.jpg 1700234639878.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-11-17-21-42-38-254_jp.naver.line.android.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-11-17-21-42-38-254_jp.naver.line.android.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 12
OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ones in individual pics at the bottom are the ones I chose...the guy gave me an additional discount on a very cheap price!
It was his brother who doesn't like me who wrote 800 which would have been a steal in most parts of the world...the brother who likes me said don't worry about that I'll give you a special price.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 34 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 12 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 27 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.8%
Back