Powerhead and lighting budget recommendations for a 48x24x16 80gallon?

Dominic M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting to get things together for a tank upgrade in which I will be moving into a 48x24x16 80-gallon aquarium from a standard 29-gallon. On the 29-gallon currently, I have the flow from my Fluval 307 and an 800gph Hydor Koralia powerhead. Then for lighting, I'm using a black box (Viparspectra 165watt) which seems to be growing corals pretty well. I know I will need to add a lot more flow and maybe another light or new lighting if I want to keep SPS when moving to the 80-gallon so I'm looking for recommendations on the budget end of things. I was looking at the SICCE Voyager powerheads like the 3600gph one and for lighting, I was thinking about either getting another Viparspectra 165watt or switching to a couple of used AI Prime 16HDs which are fairly affordable on eBay. Let me know any of your thoughts... thanks

OP
OP
D

Dominic M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do another viparspectra and two jebao mows for flow all that would be around 250.
What flow rate should I want for the jebaos, over 3000gph for the one pointed across the 4ft of the aquarium or no?

OP
OP
D

Dominic M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use mow 16s on that they’re 115 each so more than i remember but still affordable.
It does come with a controller as well so I will definitely consider it. The Viparspectra also went up in price recently ($160 now on Amazon) and I received an offer for an AI Prime HD on eBay for $110, would that change your recommendation at all or should I just stick with the Vipars?

OutColdCRNA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Tideline AIO that’s almost the same dimensions as your new tank. Currently have two Noo-Psyche over it. A third will be coming tomorrow. But for flow I have two MLW 20’s and two MLW 10’s from jebao. The 20’s are on the sides and the 10’s are in the back wall.

OP
OP
D

Dominic M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at Jeabo ow-series. I run 2 ow-40 and 2 Tunze 6095 in my 80g. I like the controller on the Jebao better.
If I did not have the 6095's I would run 4 ow-40's. Start with 2 and add more if needed.
Looks good, any recommendation on which area of the aquarium should position them like one on each end or one on the end and one on the back?

OP
OP
D

Dominic M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also found these Noosycheree K7 mini lights that seem to kick off a lot of par and could be good if I used a few of them. Thoughts?

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good, any recommendation on which area of the aquarium should position them like one on each end or one on the end and one on the back?
I run 2 on each end. I run wave 1 and else mode for randon flow.
My 80g with 30g system.
20230511_092350.jpg

OP
OP
D

Dominic M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't used the minis but you are correct. There's only 3 channels instead of the 8.
@tbrown3589 if I’m not mistaken has used the minis. I only have experience with the k7 pros. If I’m not mistaken the led layout is a bit different with the mini.
I have no experience with noo-psyche as I just heard of them today, but are the lights good quality in general? Run quiet, cool, good for sps stuff like that?

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have no experience with noo-psyche as I just heard of them today, but are the lights good quality in general? Run quiet, cool, good for sps stuff like that?
I run 4 on my 125 gallon. I grow Acros with them.
IMG_20230528_151435004.jpg

OutColdCRNA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love them! From the price point to the color spectrum and power I don’t know that I would run any other light over my current tank. Two over my 48” tank and I’m growing my acros. Only adding a third to cut down on shading.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a noopsyche k7 v3 this weekend. I have read alot of good reviews so I picked one up to try. $219 with hanging arm shipped from China.
I run 4 xr15 gen 5 blues and 9 16hds across 3 systems.
Im looking forwar to see what these can do. If they are what people have said then I will pick up a few more.
Leds are exciting for me as I have been leds only for about a year and a half. Halide and T5 guy from way back.

OP
OP
D

Dominic M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a noopsyche k7 v3 this weekend. I have read alot of good reviews so I picked one up to try. $219 with hanging arm shipped from China.
Im looking forwar to see what these can do. If they are what people have said then I will pick up a few more.
Leds are exciting for me as I have been leds only for about a year and a half. Halide and T5 guy from way back.
Let me know how it goes if you can

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I ran MH on my tank back 15 years ago or so. After moving and a tank crash I tore everything down. When I rebooted and decide to get salty again I started a 75 with a Noopsyche K7 Pro II 90 watt and had really good results. I upgraded in July to a 125 and run two of the K7 V3 140 watts (one on each end), and a K7 V3 75 watt and K7 Pro II 90 watt in the middle.

Because I run egg crate for the lid, there's some shadowing to be expected but I love the color and it keeps my corals healthy and growing.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 49 29.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 45 27.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 56 34.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.9%
Back