powerhead help

  • Thread starter Thread starter danp01
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

danp01

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 12, 2020
Messages
49
Reaction score
19
Location
poulsbo
What state or country do you live in
Washington
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello. I am looking to get a powerhead/wavemaker for a 40gallon cube. the local fish shop has a used older mp40 white controller for sale for $250. is this a good deal? should I look for something else? I see some nice looking pumps on amazon for a lot cheaper but I really like the look of the mp40s. what would you recommend

thanks
 
hello. I am looking to get a powerhead/wavemaker for a 40gallon cube. the local fish shop has a used older mp40 white controller for sale for $250. is this a good deal? should I look for something else? I see some nice looking pumps on amazon for a lot cheaper but I really like the look of the mp40s. what would you recommend

thanks
Hi there.

You could find a used newer MP10 quietdrive for that price and that would be more geared for a 40 cube.
The mp40 IMO is overkill and the white controller is quite old.
They likely just want to make the sale and liquidate some old equipment.
 
thank you
 
I have 2mp40's on my 40 gallon frag tank. They work well
 
i have 2 nero 3's. never missed a beat. significantly cheaper than 2 mp10's..you could also try out the cheap jebao wavepumps
 
Yeah, unless you are very interested in the dry/wet side aspect of the MP series, they’re a complete waste of money. The AI Nero series are very quiet, powerful and much cheaper. I have two Nero 5s on my 4 ft 100 gallon tank. I’m sure 1 or more Nero 3s would be perfect. You could get those on R2R used as well if you’re patient.
 
Tunze 6040 best nano pump/wavemaker for the money. I have two that I bought 6 or 7 years ago and they’re still going strong. Very versatile with flow direction and placement, plus you have the option to control them via 0-10v with an apex or hydros (or other controller). I like vortechs, but they are a one trick pony and don’t allow you to change the flow direction. Nero’s seem nice, but I’ve never used them. I had Jebao’s before the Tunze’s and they were okay for the money, but had some problems. I think they improved them now, but I had no reason to buy them again after getting the 6040’s.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 5.6%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 11.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new