powerhead help

danp01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello. I am looking to get a powerhead/wavemaker for a 40gallon cube. the local fish shop has a used older mp40 white controller for sale for $250. is this a good deal? should I look for something else? I see some nice looking pumps on amazon for a lot cheaper but I really like the look of the mp40s. what would you recommend

thanks

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello. I am looking to get a powerhead/wavemaker for a 40gallon cube. the local fish shop has a used older mp40 white controller for sale for $250. is this a good deal? should I look for something else? I see some nice looking pumps on amazon for a lot cheaper but I really like the look of the mp40s. what would you recommend

thanks
Hi there.

You could find a used newer MP10 quietdrive for that price and that would be more geared for a 40 cube.
The mp40 IMO is overkill and the white controller is quite old.
They likely just want to make the sale and liquidate some old equipment.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
i have 2 nero 3's. never missed a beat. significantly cheaper than 2 mp10's..you could also try out the cheap jebao wavepumps

ekandler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, unless you are very interested in the dry/wet side aspect of the MP series, they’re a complete waste of money. The AI Nero series are very quiet, powerful and much cheaper. I have two Nero 5s on my 4 ft 100 gallon tank. I’m sure 1 or more Nero 3s would be perfect. You could get those on R2R used as well if you’re patient.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Tunze 6040 best nano pump/wavemaker for the money. I have two that I bought 6 or 7 years ago and they’re still going strong. Very versatile with flow direction and placement, plus you have the option to control them via 0-10v with an apex or hydros (or other controller). I like vortechs, but they are a one trick pony and don’t allow you to change the flow direction. Nero’s seem nice, but I’ve never used them. I had Jebao’s before the Tunze’s and they were okay for the money, but had some problems. I think they improved them now, but I had no reason to buy them again after getting the 6040’s.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.2%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 108 80.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.5%
Back