Powerhead placement and flow ideas?

Lylelovett

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 5, 2018
Messages
439
Reaction score
224
What state or country do you live in
Arizona
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I have a 5x2x2 mixed reef. I've got 10 fish and 7 corals; a range of softies, LPS, and one SPS. So just starting out really. :)

My tank has been up and running for 4 months and I'm now working on dialing in my flow and powerhead placement.

I have 2 Tunze 6105s, currently placed at each end of the tank facing each other roughly. They have been running at about 50% constant speed since the tank has been up. As I'm reading posts about powerhead placement and flow I see some people alternate flow direction on a schedule, some random, some slow it down at night,etc.

I'm just looking for some beginning guidance on what I might want to start with. I like the idea of alternating, but there are SOO many ways to do it. Do I alternate completely on and off? Do I run one at 100% and the other 0%, then switch? Do I do a 100/0, 75/25, 50/50, 25/75/, 0/100? Do I try to mimic tidal currents? :) So many options...

What's a good way to look at it/start?

Or is the way I have it with a constant flow from each just fine?

I have them connected/controllable by a GHL Profilux 4.

Thanks in advance!
 
Alternating flow is a start. Random, chaotic flow is best.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 12 26.7%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 16 35.6%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 5 11.1%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 6.7%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 5 11.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 6.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new