Powerhead Placement in a Waterbox Cube 20

Veteran Mike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I am starting a new reef tank. I want to place a powerhead for water flow for a mixed reef tank. I have a return pump that provides water flow at the outflow of the filter back, and provides turbulence at the water surface for oxygenation. I bought a AI Nero 3 for additional water flow over the live rock and sand. The aquascape is pretty vanilla, with a mound of live rock in the center of the cube reaching about halfway up.

With all this in mind, where would you recommend I place the Nero 3 (which tank wall), how high up on the wall, and which direction for the water flow. Also, would you recommend a 2nd Nero 3 to ensure no dead spots?

Thanks much!

Mike

vabben

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my MP10 placement on mine.

Attachments

• 50C43401-4002-4902-BF12-41F3BBCCF230.jpeg
    50C43401-4002-4902-BF12-41F3BBCCF230.jpeg
    226.2 KB · Views: 590

Gedxin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also have my Nero 3 about 3/4 way up, in the middleish, but on the right side. Photos in my build thread too.

rhpmiller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Quick question: I have a 20g nano cube, with a return pump from the back and top right that's aimed at the surface, for some surface disruption. This causes the flow to hit the front glass at the front top and push flow to the bottom front.

I plan on having a softie/LPS reef, do you think I need a powerhead? If so, maybe one at the bottom right, near the back of the tank and cutting across the back side, to have some different angles?

Essentially i'm struggling to understand the difference in flow strengths (gallons per hour or tank turnover doesn't really mean a ton to me). Should I just place corals and see how they do, and adjust from there?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back