Powerhead placement issues

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got my Xenia a few weeks ago and it’s not pulsing. It’s most likely because I have too much flow hitting it even though it’s in the lowest flow area of my tank. Where would y’all suggest I place my powerhead to create a low flow spot for my Xenia?
image.jpg

image.jpg

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know that that should technically be the lowest flow area since it’s underneath the powerhead, but it’d probably do better if it were sort of shielded by a rock (like more in the front of the tank right in front of the rock work). Of course, you then run the chance of it growing onto the main structure, but if you keep an eye on it and detach any growths as soon as the touch the rock work, you should be able to manage it. But so long as it’s open and feathery looking and not being battered by the current, it should pulse. I know mine always stops pulsing for a couple days whenever I move it (I have a 28 nanocube, which is similar to the biocube, and I’ve had to move it a few times to find a spot where it wasn’t getting battered). I’ve also heard that iodine and magnesium supplements can help an non-pulsing Xenia start pulsing, but I don’t know how much truth there is to that. Also, there are Xenia species that don’t pulse (did you see it pulsing at the lfs or wherever you got it from?).

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know that that should technically be the lowest flow area since it’s underneath the powerhead, but it’d probably do better if it were sort of shielded by a rock (like more in the front of the tank right in front of the rock work). Of course, you then run the chance of it growing onto the main structure, but if you keep an eye on it and detach any growths as soon as the touch the rock work, you should be able to manage it. But so long as it’s open and feathery looking and not being battered by the current, it should pulse. I know mine always stops pulsing for a couple days whenever I move it (I have a 28 nanocube, which is similar to the biocube, and I’ve had to move it a few times to find a spot where it wasn’t getting battered). I’ve also heard that iodine and magnesium supplements can help an non-pulsing Xenia start pulsing, but I don’t know how much truth there is to that. Also, there are Xenia species that don’t pulse (did you see it pulsing at the lfs or wherever you got it from?).
Sadly, I didn’t see it when they cut it. But yes the LFS

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 34.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 24.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 17.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 23.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back