Powerhead with Apex

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently run two gyres on my 6' 125g tank, but I am wanting to add a few extra powerheads. I like that the Wav pumps only connect with a 1link cable to my Apex, but their reputation is less than ideal. I'm also considering the Sicce Xstream SDC, since they're contrable with IOTA but it worries me that with a simple software update one manufacturer can make it to where they no longer work together. I'm also not sure if they have enough flow since the Sicce are only half the max output of the Wavs, but I've always heard that the Wavs 4000 gph is way too much.

Also, if I go with Wav is it worth it to get the 1link module too? I have 2 1link ports open on my EB832. Other than the Wavs what requires the use of a 1link? I know dos and trident can use it but don't have to. I'm not sure about the CORS, is there anything else I'm forgetting that uses 1link?

The last option is that I just get 1 MP40 and don't worry about apex control. I can just let it do basic on/off with the outlet on the EB.

dank reefer

IG: dankreefer_IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Cor pumps do not require 1link
I have ran 2 WAV pumps for 2 years (bought them used and have no idea how long the previous owner ran them for) and I have not had an issue with them at all. The only thing I do not like about the WAV pumps is that they stick to far out and without printing some extra parts, the max angle they can be set too is pretty weak in my opinion.

Having the 1link module will come in handy if you have more devices that require it, and it will also save you from having to have another power adapter to deal with.

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Cor pumps do not require 1link
I have ran 2 WAV pumps for 2 years (bought them used and have no idea how long the previous owner ran them for) and I have not had an issue with them at all. The only thing I do not like about the WAV pumps is that they stick to far out and without printing some extra parts, the max angle they can be set too is pretty weak in my opinion.

Having the 1link module will come in handy if you have more devices that require it, and it will also save you from having to have another power adapter to deal with.
What size tank do you have them on, I'm a little worried now that the minimum flow of 2700gph may be too much.

I had considered using the 1link module to control some devices in a different room of my house where my mixing station is. I'd like to move my top off and my 2 part dosing into that room. If I have the 1link module I'd only have to run a single aquabus cable to the other room.

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank do you have them on, I'm a little worried now that the minimum flow of 2700gph may be too much.

I had considered using the 1link module to control some devices in a different room of my house where my mixing station is. I'd like to move my top off and my 2 part dosing into that room. If I have the 1link module I'd only have to run a single aquabus cable to the other room.
For what it's worth, I run the Xstream SDC's in my 32.5 gallon tank and let them max out at 45%, with the return pump going at 528GPH and the powerheads going at ~1021 GPH (I have them in Antisync so when one goes the other doesn't) that's 50x flow. The good thing here is, if they ever do remove the IOTA stuff and it no longer works on Fusion, the Sicce app to control them is free and easy to use.

dank reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Had them on a 90g standard tank 4ft long. 2 WAV's and had a IceCap 3k in it as well. Then removed the 3k and added 2 MP40's. It was a SPS dominated tank.

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what it's worth, I run the Xstream SDC's in my 32.5 gallon tank and let them max out at 45%, with the return pump going at 528GPH and the powerheads going at ~1021 GPH (I have them in Antisync so when one goes the other doesn't) that's 50x flow. The good thing here is, if they ever do remove the IOTA stuff and it no longer works on Fusion, the Sicce app to control them is free and easy to use.
If half flow in a 32 is okay then I likely would want more in a 125. Thanks for posting that's very helpful.

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If half flow in a 32 is okay then I likely would want more in a 125. Thanks for posting that's very helpful.
Yes, but remember, that's running them in antisync, so it's like only having 1 pump at a time. If both were running at the same time, it's double my figure, and at 100% it's 4x my figure.

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, but remember, that's running them in antisync, so it's like only having 1 pump at 1/2. If both were full and running at the same time, it's double.
Yes but most likely I would run them that way as well.

Wouldn't both at full speed and running at the same time be quadruple?

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No it shoudnt be, but then again it will all depend on what types of corals you'll be keeping.
It's a mixed tank, but I'm slowly going to SPS dominant. That's the reason I'm looking to upgrade. My corals on the ends get enough flow but it's not so great in the middle. Currently I have to keep most of my acros on the ends of the tank and as I add more they're getting closer to the middle of the tank.

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a mixed tank, but I'm slowly going to SPS dominant. That's the reason I'm looking to upgrade. My corals on the ends get enough flow but it's not so great in the middle. Currently I have to keep most of my acros on the ends of the tank and as I add more they're getting closer to the middle of the tank.
Another thing to possibly consider is that BRS bought EcoTech, and I *think* EcoTech is also the owner of AI. That means there may be Nero integration in the future, but, that's totally speculation, so...

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another thing to possibly consider is that BRS bought EcoTech, and I *think* EcoTech is also the owner of AI. That means there may be Nero integration in the future, but, that's totally speculation, so...
You are correct there was a merger years ago between the two. I didn't look at the Nero 5 until just now and honestly it's a higher flow rate than I realized. I would consider them, but I'm really wanting control through apex and I don't want to buy it in hopes that they make them compatible.

I do agree though that making the AI controlled from Apex is very possible to happen.

dank reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS did not buy Ecotech.

Bertram, who owns BRS, Bought Ecotech, and Neptune Systems

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS did not buy Ecotech.

Bertram, who owns BRS, Bought Ecotech, and Neptune Systems
While I know that is correct I can understand why someone would phrase it as BRS bought them, since that is how it is said on every forum.

Plus being under the same parent firm is still a connection between the companies that likely could lead them to want to integrate devices from the sister companies. So his point is still valid.

dank reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A connection between all 3 companies is correct, but the fact is that BRS does not own Ecotech. Misinformation always causes chaos, so lets try and put the correct information out there.

Not saying @JNalley is at fault

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A connection between all 3 companies is correct, but the fact is that BRS does not own Ecotech. Misinformation always causes chaos, so lets try and put the correct information out there.

Not saying @JNalley is at fault
If you're trying to make it to where everyone says it the correct way that is a huge uphill battle.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 41 85.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.3%
Back