Powerheads stirring up sand!

BewareOfButtlice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i went out and purchased two new powerheads for the tank for better circulation... well i mounted them on both sides of my 72 gallon bow front tank. I've been messing around with their placement and cant seem to find a spot where they dont either suck sand up from beneath the PH or make sand in the middle of the tank start stirring up.

Ive tried pointing them both at the surface or moving them closer to the surface and aiming them at each other but nothing seems to work. Do i have too strong of PH? The box said 45-70 gal tanks. Purchased two Hydor Koralia Evo 1050

Any tips?

8694213988_fd28147860_b.jpg

They did fine in this location for a bit but then slowly started moving sand like crazy.

Hugo’s_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try getting the smart wave so they turn on at different times...it's only like 40 used I think ...I have the same pumps in my 60g and they are fine not much sand movement almost none .

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

ReeferBob

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this is a new tank your sand is going to blow around a bit until it settles down with the proliferation of bacteria. Give it time. The wave-controllers are nice.

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, new sand will blow real easy. If it is blowing around real bad then it might be to much, but probably just young sand. Point one at the surface so it is rooster tailing, that will also help keep stuff off the top.

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

OP
OP
B

BewareOfButtlice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmm alright i wont worry about it too much just yet then. The sand and live rock ive got was previously used but sat for a while with fresh water when i had to move my tank because of structural reasons... Ill look into a wave controller as well. Thanks!

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once the sand starts getting coated with colonizing bacteria it will stay put much better. I have 330 lbs of Southdown sugar sized sand in a 100G system 5-6" deep with two Evlutions 1400's and a WaterBlaster HY-5000 return pump running full blast through an Oceans Motions Squirt two way via Loc Lines and my sand stays in place.

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+ 1 om what has been said . Also i would get a controller. You can get coralife wavemaker cheap.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back