Powering DOS with only Aquabus

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a little confused. When I first set up my DOS, I plugged in 120v wall power, and the aquabus cable. Three weeks later, I’m realizing that the power adapter became unplugged, but dosing has continued with just the aquabus cable plugged in. What’s the deal? Why do I even need the power brick? Thanks!

OP
OP
Adamantium

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might just be imagining it, but after plugging the power adapter back in just now, it sounds a little less… whiny and high pitched. Maybe it was working on just a trickle of power and that was impacting the pump?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might just be imagining it, but after plugging the power adapter back in just now, it sounds a little less… whiny and high pitched. Maybe it was working on just a trickle of power and that was impacting the pump?
I really couldn't say, to be honest. Mine runs via 1LINK because that flimsy 24v power adapter was always coming out and causing the DOS to go offline.

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Apex logs continue AS IF it's working. I've tried and tested it after similar issues with mine a few years ago. Track your liquid levels and I'm positive you'll be able to confirm. Oh, I swapped to 1-link when I had a power supply go bad and really like the reduced clutter.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have proof that it was dosing when the power adapter was unplugged? For example, did you visually observe the pumps rotating? Or are you just looking at the graphs? The graphs will update with or without the power adapter because it doesn’t know if the pumps are physically running.

See my DOS Tutorial for more details:

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have proof that it was dosing when the power adapter was unplugged? For example, did you visually observe the pumps rotating? Or are you just looking at the graphs? The graphs will update with or without the power adapter because it doesn’t know if the pumps are physically running.
I've always been of the opinion that the continued graphing is a serious weakness of the DOS system.

OP
OP
Adamantium

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

See my DOS Tutorial for more details:
Yes. I saw it dripping out of the dosing lines. It's on the back of my display, so it was easy to catch.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. I saw it dripping out of the dosing lines. It's on the back of my display, so it was easy to catch.
Please unplug the power adapter and then see if the DOS operates. It should not, because the motors operate on 24v, but AquaBus only supplies 12v to operate the circuit board.

@_AV Can you confirm if the DOS motors are even wired to a circuit that the 12v AquaBus could possibly power?

OP
OP
Adamantium

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please unplug the power adapter and then see if the DOS operates. It should not, because the motors operate on 24v, but AquaBus only supplies 12v to operate the circuit board.

@_AV Can you confirm if the DOS motors are even wired to a circuit that the 12v AquaBus could possibly power?
You know what, I'm sorry, I think that's definitely the case. The lights were on, so I assumed it was powered, but I probably just nudged the power adapter out recently. It comes out at the drop of a hat, apparently. I just unplugged it and tried to run it to no avail.

Sorry, all.

_AV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right. DOS won't run pumps off of the 12v aquabus cable. The power for the pumps comes only from the 24v PSU. However, the aquabus port is wired to power the controller and the status LEDs on DOS. Those will light up and function without the 24v PSU, but the pumps won't spin.

Last edited:

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 171 67.6%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back