Powers out. Advice please!

akabryanhall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone in the neighborhood has power except 5 houses. Guess who's one of them. Got a automated response saying 11:30, then 11:50 then 4:00. I bet they sent the technicians home figuring most people would be asleep anyway. I'm ******. Also freaking out because I have 4 tanks without flow and ac. Any tips?
My line of reasoning is if a fish or coral can ship over night in a little baggy, they should be ok in a tank full of water right? That is if the temp remains ok..

scooterc268

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should be ok.. If you can, find u a 24hr wal-mart, in the fishing isle look for battery operated bait boxes, D batteries. Hook it up to your tank and there you go. If not satire the water up. But bait boxes always help

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

k2parkstar

Z&P Snob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the water starts getting warm take stuff from the freezer put it in a couple ziplock bags and float it. It'll help cool the water. That is if it's hot where you are.

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone in the neighborhood has power except 5 houses. Guess who's one of them. Got a automated response saying 11:30, then 11:50 then 4:00. I bet they sent the technicians home figuring most people would be asleep anyway. I'm ******. Also freaking out because I have 4 tanks without flow and ac. Any tips?
My line of reasoning is if a fish or coral can ship over night in a little baggy, they should be ok in a tank full of water right? That is if the temp remains ok..

Do you keep any battery air pumps on hand? If so, use them. Depending on the amount of livestock and their size, a tank can quickly be depleted of oxygen.

Steven R

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man do as much as you can I just lost two tanks almost three to debbie and a power outage reset failure. Wall mart has the batterie operated air pumps. You might want to go get a small generator since you have four systems and run a extension cord and power strip. Good luck hpefully your outcome is better then mine.

OP
OP
akabryanhall

akabryanhall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx for the advice guys. I'm in Florida but its 80 outside. Humidity makes it feel like its 98. I have 6 clowns in a 60g system, a pair in a 50 cube and 2 small tang, 2 clowns, 2 cardinals in a 90.
I don't have any battery powered air pumps. That will need to change tomorrow. Best thing I can do I guess is stay up and keep stirring.

lps1212

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck with this situation I've had my pumps off over night before with no issues to fish but than again my ac was on so temp stayed t a steady 77 in tank that would be my biggest concern is temp

Mike&Terry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3% hydrogen peroxide can be used in an emergency situation to add oxygen. I don't remember the exact dosage and instructions, but you can google and find it.

dirtysumpguy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This can't help you now, but those large UPS for computers that you can buy at places like costco or sams club or best buy, etc, can provide power for a power head for at least 10 hours (I know from personal experience - it powered my MP40 for just over 10 hours with the mp40 set at 75% power). At the time I had a smaller tank and it did fine with no intervention or stirring at all (not that I can guarantee it will work for you...)

dirtysumpguy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I meant to say:

At the time I had AN ADDITIONAL smaller tank and it did fine with no intervention or stirring at all (not that I can guarantee it will work for you...)

akma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
**** i feel your pain. I lost power for a week durin the winter. In the morning get battery operated pumps when you get a chance. For now try to move the tank oxygen around by getting a cup and continuosly pour tank water in and out. Should get you threw the night. My temp dropped to 65 degrees but i covered the tank with a blanket. If you are able to get a backup generator for your pumps and a fan to cool it down and keep flow going.

OP
OP
akabryanhall

akabryanhall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
U guys rock! I just walked outside with a cooler beer and saw these guys working on it. I feel bad for the ugly things I thought and said about the power company. 2 bad transformers. Be up by 3 hopefully.
My temps are staying at 79 so I feel much better. Not gonna get hotter.
Thanks again!

Steelerfan747

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should be ok.. If you can, find u a 24hr wal-mart, in the fishing isle look for battery operated bait boxes, D batteries. Hook it up to your tank and there you go. If not satire the water up. But bait boxes always help

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

+1, I had my power go out a few weeks ago and it was out for almost 24 hours. I did not have an air pump and kept expecting the power to come back on. Luckily I kept pouring water back and forth from my tank with a cup and everything but a shrimp survived but I would definitely get an air pump if it ever happens again

Mike&Terry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
U guys rock! I just walked outside with a cooler beer and saw these guys working on it. I feel bad for the ugly things I thought and said about the power company. 2 bad transformers. Be up by 3 hopefully.
My temps are staying at 79 so I feel much better. Not gonna get hotter.
Thanks again!

That is GOOD news!

Loki

My skimmate doesn't stink
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome. Keep us updated. I would say you should be fine with the minimal fish in the systems. Hopefully you don't work tomorrow :)

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 70 44.3%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 74 46.8%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 8.9%
Back