Prazi as a Dip?

LJLKRL05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can Prazi be used as a dip?
Or maybe short term exposure in one small tank and then move the fish into another tank without dosing a second time?

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ChadLo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or maybe short term exposure in one small tank and then move the fish into another tank without dosing a second time?
I guess a big question is what are you trying to accomplish? Are you talking about adding a new fish and then sending to qt? Or do you have a sick fish you are trying to treat?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes, but two things:
  1. The bath should last 3-4 hours to be sure you got them all.
  2. The fish should be placed in a new QT post bath, to prevent reinfection.
^^ The above will need to be repeated in 5-7 days to eliminate any hatchlings.

After the second bath, a 5 min FW dip can be given to ensure all flukes are gone: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/freshwater-dip.248898/

The reason for the FW dip is to check for prazi resistant flukes. In 2013 research done, as reported in Aquaculture Volumes 404-405, Prazipro was shown to only be 82% effective against Neobenedenia girallae.

lagatbezan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe that Prazi will start to work within the first hour to get most flukes to die but in order for it to be fully effective (the ones that are deeply embedded in the fish) you would need a min of 24 hours in it from what I understand. also repeat treatments 5-7 days apart are needed.
Edit: looks like @Humblefish beat me to the response so I would listen to him instead of me :)

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, but two things:
  1. The bath should last 3-4 hours to be sure you got them all.
  2. The fish should be placed in a new QT post bath, to prevent reinfection.
^^ The above will need to be repeated in 5-7 days to eliminate any hatchlings.

After the second bath, a 5 min FW dip can be given to ensure all flukes are gone: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/freshwater-dip.248898/

The reason for the FW dip is to check for prazi resistant flukes. In 2013 research done, as reported in Aquaculture Volumes 404-405, Prazipro was shown to only be 82% effective against Neobenedenia girallae.
What he said— better to treat in the tank, unless you just need immediate relief and don’t want to dose it in quarantine which is rare IMO — we did it recently on a Red Sea regal angelfish that was eating well (hard to get), and was even doing so in fully therapeutic copper... rather than adding another possible appetite suppressor to the tank and potentially harming the other wrasse and inhabitants also under full Copper (wrasse can be copper sensitive as well), we opted for one prazi bath for immediate relief with full intentions of treating everyone in 15 days when the copper was removed with prazi in the QT. No other fish showed symptoms so that was the judgment call I made.

Last edited:

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back