Prazi resistant flukes experience thread

Have you encountered Prazi resistant flukes and did you succeed in eradicating them?

• Nope, never

Votes: 20 48.8%
  • Yes and hyposalinity worked

Votes: 4 9.8%
  • Yes and fenbendazole worked

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Yes and formalin worked

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes and something else worked

Votes: 3 7.3%
  • Yes, but I was never able to eradicate them

Votes: 13 31.7%

• Total voters

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So - 30 days copper power >1.75 confirmed daily (Hanna), Immediately followed with 14 days in Hypo 1.009 confirmed daily w/ MKE meter and hand held to deal with prazi resistant flukes. Moved gem tang to New (fishless run in) DT along with another damsel that has been through same cycle- 1 day later Gem has a “twitch” only on top fin (not head twitch like flukes) and a white spot appeared on his right side fin. Incredible. Parameters all good on new tank. Stress spot? Damsel is fine right now.

What does the spot look like? Could it be lympho?(fingers crossed)

ckalupa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0F249561-658B-43EA-95CA-25C83CB1A8A1.jpeg

TheRealDmorty217

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So - 30 days copper power >1.75 confirmed daily (Hanna), Immediately followed with 14 days in Hypo 1.009 confirmed daily w/ MKE meter and hand held to deal with prazi resistant flukes. Moved gem tang to New (fishless run in) DT along with another damsel that has been through same cycle- 1 day later Gem has a “twitch” only on top fin (not head twitch like flukes) and a white spot appeared on his right side fin. Incredible. Parameters all good on new tank. Stress spot? Damsel is fine right now.
I would just keep a eye on the Gem. One spot or even a few doesn’t necessarily mean disease. If the fish has ich you will know it, same with flukes

ckalupa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya. That’s what I am doing. He is giving me the defensive twitch every time he sees me now. Guess he is Pretty tired of getting dips and baths. It’s cute to watch him trying to be a tough guy though then swim off into a cave and hide for a bit. But he knows when it is nori time!

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya. That’s what I am doing. He is giving me the defensive twitch every time he sees me now. Guess he is Pretty tired of getting dips and baths. It’s cute to watch him trying to be a tough guy though then swim off into a cave and hide for a bit. But he knows when it is nori time!

How is the spot doing?

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small. Seems like it’s fading. Not getting bigger nor multiplying so that’s good! Possible Lympho just due to stress. Dunno. Assuming all is well till indications go otherwise.

Update on my Wrasses, they are on day 9 of copper now and all flashing has stopped. I did lose one and that’s what confirmed a velvet diagnosis. The crazy thing is they carried it for 3 weeks through a failed copper and fluke treatment before one succumbed to it. The remaining two will transfer to a sterile tank Sunday for observation.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small. Seems like it’s fading. Not getting bigger nor multiplying so that’s good! Possible Lympho just due to stress. Dunno. Assuming all is well till indications go otherwise.
@ckalupa Did the hypo cure your flukes?

ckalupa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@dwest yes. Everyone in the tank is doing well. The gem tang has moved into his new display tank and continues to do well. One white spot appeared shortly after moving him in but it went away within a couple of days appears more like lympho .
All the other inhabitants of the tank that were also in treatment are looking great and will be moving back into the day tank as a fallow period ends this week.

Hedgedrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone had experience using febendazole in qt tank like prazi instead of dip ?? Besides cloudy ? Biofilter. ?? Effectiveness ?

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone had experience using febendazole in qt tank like prazi instead of dip ?? Besides cloudy ? Biofilter. ?? Effectiveness ?

I have been using fenbendazole in this manner during my last 2 batches. Aside from the cloudy water I have seen no issues. Biofilter appears to remain viable and flukes appear to be eliminated.

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had prazi resisting flukes in my display. After multiple prazi doses, 4-5 days apart the flukes remained.

what worked for me was 3 doses exactly three days apart. You can’t leave any window for hatchlings to make it through.

it’s worth trying. Worked for me.

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What dose you using. ? Same as prazi dose??

I've been using the same dosage as the bath, 95 mg/ gal. I am going to try 2.5mg/ gal next time I encounter flukes to see if its enough. Noga lists that for prolonged immersion.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 42 58.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 20 27.8%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.9%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.8%
Back