Prazi resistant flukes experience thread

Have you encountered Prazi resistant flukes and did you succeed in eradicating them?

• Nope, never

Votes: 20 48.8%
  • Yes and hyposalinity worked

Votes: 4 9.8%
  • Yes and fenbendazole worked

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Yes and formalin worked

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes and something else worked

Votes: 3 7.3%
  • Yes, but I was never able to eradicate them

Votes: 13 31.7%

• Total voters

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry to hear you lost it. You did all you could.

ckalupa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s sad news, @Pbh-reef

Did you notice any of the fluke symptoms prior to the fish dying? Flashing, head shakes, scratching?

So now I am re-thinking what I should try? I have some time for my fallow period to end so I am thinking I will do the fembenzadole and then Return them to a sterilized QT and go to 1.009 hypo. Maybe a double punch will work? Or do hypo first and dip to see what happens in killing them off?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pbh-reef

Pbh-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s sad news, @Pbh-reef

Did you notice any of the fluke symptoms prior to the fish dying? Flashing, head shakes, scratching?

So now I am re-thinking what I should try? I have some time for my fallow period to end so I am thinking I will do the fembenzadole and then Return them to a sterilized QT and go to 1.009 hypo. Maybe a double punch will work? Or do hypo first and dip to see what happens in killing them off?

I would try the fenbendazole first - do a bath and then a second bath about a week later followed by a second transfer to a sterile tank. I wouldn’t take my experience as too much of a lesson - I have never quarantined a fish before this and have a very limited space in my apartment to
Do it properly.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish - can copper power continue with hyposalinity?

In theory, yes; however I've never actually combined the two.

One potential problem I foresee is the presence of copper throwing off your pH reading. You probably want to use a meter instead of a liquid test kit.

ckalupa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @Humblefish . I use Hanna. I have sufficient time to re do a copper cycle while waiting on my fallow period so I will do the hypo (taking out the copper with Cuprisorb now) and then decide if a bath of Fembenzadole or what ever the next steps are. Tired of these flukes! Staying ahead of them but not ridding the fish of them.

My refratometer and my MILWAUKEE read within .002 on salinity so I will use .009 on the higher reading (hand held refractometer).

Flukes be gone!

Clownfish2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not sure if my fish in QT have prazi resistant flukes or ich. I have tried 2 rounds of prazipro. I have tried 35 days of cupramine at 0.5 concentration level using a Hanna. I also tried chloroquine phosphate but had to stop due to fish being lethargic and not eating. Both the clownfish and the sailfin tang would have a random white spot and or blemish that would appear and then disappear off and on.

I ended up removing all medicine and simply observe the tank for 30 days. Both fish are energetic and eat. No spots whatsoever! However, both will yawn and twitch and act like they are running away from something.

I’ve decided to try hyposalinity at 1.009 for at least 30 days. Do you think I am dealing with flukes or ich?

ckalupa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Freshwater Dip one. That’s how I keep finding them. Think I get past with Prazi and or general cure- multiple times. Then see the dreaded head twitch. Dip and sure enough. Flukes.

Last edited:

ckalupa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am at 1.009 Milwaukee and 1.010 hand held right now. The flukes should be getting tortured per the article that listed 1.014 as the “dead zone”

I am not concerned about ich eradication steps- most of these fish have been in copper power for 30 days. Just the flukes. Will deal with the ich prevention later!

Fishing doing good so far and demanding food!

ckalupa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also- started feeding mysis and lifeline cubes with focus and fembenzadole earlier this week. Gonna chase those buggers from inside and out! Fish don’t seem to mind that med on the food.

ckalupa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So first day of hypo behind us. All the fish back at full color and out swimming around. Purple and gem tang had faded colors and would hide more. I suspect the gem tang brought this strain of flukes with him. Gem doing occasional scratching on the pvc pipes but only on his underside, not scratching his sides/gills. All are eating well

ckalupa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Second day at 1.009- all fish still doing great. Gem tang stopped that scratching on his bottom side last evening. Very hopeful this is the ticket for the prazi- resistant flukes! Colors and appetites are very strong. Copper is at .64 with two Cuprisorb sacks running since Saturday.

Starblenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just received some Fenbendzole and I'm going to try it out on my four-lined wrasse. I'm planning on doing two 12h baths with it (first bath soon, second bath at day 5). Will update this thread to see how it goes.

ckalupa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am at day 7 of hypo holding at 1.009. Everyone swimming around fine. Have not seen any of those opaque spots anywhere on any fish. Noticed a little twitch on the Gem Tang today- different than before and very minor. Will keep observing. Plan to do another freshwater dip on him next week after day 14 to see if the flukes are gone? Still feeding with focus and fembenzadole.

Starblenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: I did a 12hour fenbendazole bath on my four-lined wrasse doing a 25mg/L dosage and so far so good. I transferred him to a sterile QT and will do another bath in about 5-6 days from now.

Right now, my fish hasn't shown any signs of him trying to scratch his gills or yawning. I see some tiny, flat, and black-colored stuff in the bottom my bath bucket. I wonder if those were the gill flukes or random detritus.

ckalupa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update for my situation of prazi resistant flukes: Just completed two weeks of hyposalinity at 1.009. Female swallowtail seems to have some swim bladder issues (possibly unrelated) and keeps burping out air bubbles. Slight effect on her buoyancy but that lasted only about 36 hours at the end of the cycle. Randomly dipped one fish and it was clear of flukes! Raising salinity back up now. Will dip another that was known affected in a day or so to be sure. Looks like it worked though. Just grabbed what was easy to catch.

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not yet begin that. I did a second dose cycle on the general cure for now and are completing a copper power preventative treatment. Will assess again as the next week goes as the copper cycle winds down? They all stopped showing symptoms of flukes so maybe that second treatment worked? i lowered salinity to 1.020 along with this GC treatment though. Possibly something that helped attack the flukes? I did it within the copper cycle with no issues (lots of air and agitation though and check daily with Hanna).

The male swallowtail angel’s eye cleared up (separate post) completely. Metro component likely did that trick.

Which fenbendazole did you get and how were you going to dose it? I have 3 wrasses that Prazi is doing nothing for (confirmed flukes w FW dip)

@Pbh-reef

ckalupa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not use the fembenzadole as a bath- did feed it with focus . I went with hypo.

But I bought mine at revival animal health. It’s a dog de-wormer

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 66 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back