Prazi resistant flukes experience thread

Have you encountered Prazi resistant flukes and did you succeed in eradicating them?

• Nope, never

Votes: 20 48.8%
  • Yes and hyposalinity worked

Votes: 4 9.8%
  • Yes and fenbendazole worked

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Yes and formalin worked

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes and something else worked

Votes: 3 7.3%
  • Yes, but I was never able to eradicate them

Votes: 13 31.7%

• Total voters

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used clout that is made by fritz but recently discontinued and I have also tripled the recommended dosage of praziquantel for treatments every 5-6 days for 4 weeks with success, never doing a water change in between treatments for whatever that’s worth.

Man, I have had the opposite effect. I've had fish start dying on me if treatment gets to a full dose!

Maybe I should have started with a FW bath or something first to knock off a lot of the ones in the gills.

TheRealDmorty217

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, I have had the opposite effect. I've had fish start dying on me if treatment gets to a full dose!

Maybe I should have started with a FW bath or something first to knock off a lot of the ones in the gills.

I formalin bath all new arrivals to do just that. Praziquantel takes O2 out of the water so I add as much aeration to the water as I can. Most fish die because of lack of O2

Starblenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finished doing 3 rounds of API General Cure for my wrasse and I've noticed the fish is still trying to scratch his gills, though he doesn't do it as much as before...

I'm hoping it's not a prazi resistant strain of gill flukes and fish is at the healing stage. Still, I'm glad that there's another way to beat flukes. I really don't wanna go formalin route... I know it's effective but I'm not too comfortable using it's formaldehyde and I remember using formaldehyde during my college biology days as a way to preserve dead stuff.

TheRealDmorty217

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finished doing 3 rounds of API General Cure for my wrasse and I've noticed the fish is still trying to scratch his gills, though he doesn't do it as much as before...

I'm hoping it's not a prazi resistant strain of gill flukes and fish is at the healing stage. Still, I'm glad that there's another way to beat flukes. I really don't wanna go formalin route... I know it's effective but I'm not too comfortable using it's formaldehyde and I remember using formaldehyde during my college biology days as a way to preserve dead stuff.

I personally think formalin is less stressful on fish than a freshwater bath is. The key is to aerate the bath with a air stone and keep a close eye on the fish. 50-60min bath is all you need to tell if the fish still has flukes or not. Obviously cut the bath short of the fish starts acting stressed or laying on its side.

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

it's a difficult line to walk, but I've lost too many fish to the slow death of asphyxiation by gill damage to not be aggressive if I see a fish showing symptoms

OP
OP
Pbh-reef

Pbh-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally think formalin is less stressful on fish than a freshwater bath is. The key is to aerate the bath with a air stone and keep a close eye on the fish. 50-60min bath is all you need to tell if the fish still has flukes or not. Obviously cut the bath short of the fish starts acting stressed or laying on its side.

what formalin product do you use? could you share a link?

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is the wrasse today?

OP
OP
Pbh-reef

Pbh-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is the wrasse today?

Thanks for asking. I took your advice and started hatching baby brine shrimp, which the wrasse is eating. I use my oven light to give them heat/light. The wrasse eats from the water column, and off the glass. I hope to start introducing frozen brine/mysis, etc soon alongside the bbs. Since the wrasse was eating frozen brine in the LFS I hope it will go back to the soon. I've noticed a lot less gill twitching and breathing at the surface as well. We'll see, it has been a hard road with this fish!

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for asking. I took your advice and started hatching baby brine shrimp, which the wrasse is eating. I use my oven light to give them heat/light. The wrasse eats from the water column, and off the glass. I hope to start introducing frozen brine/mysis, etc soon alongside the bbs. Since the wrasse was eating frozen brine in the LFS I hope it will go back to the soon. I've noticed a lot less gill twitching and breathing at the surface as well. We'll see, it has been a hard road with this fish!

Good news!

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Formalin is nasty stuff. I had a beautiful pair of clowns go blind after a formalin treatment that went awry...be careful-do not over expose and heavily aerate...

TheRealDmorty217

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what formalin product do you use? could you share a link?

I can give you specifics this weekend when I get back in the country but I believe it is MS Formalin... basically and formalin that is 37% formaldehyde will work. It is definitely nasty stuff and caution should be used. Never use it on a fish with open wounds

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RE: Fenbednazole...Dr David Fishman of fishman chemical recommended I use 1 gm/day for 7-10 days on a 30 gal tank...
Don't know how that compares to Noga's recommended treatment or pbhreef's doseage or goldeneyeret...maybe they could chime in...but i tried it and it worked on one stubborn case of flukes...definitely stresses the fish out, though...

ckalupa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Pbh-reef how are the fish doing now that a couple weeks have passed? I have done two more rounds with GC and yet tonight I dipped the Gem tang and off came three white sesame seed shaped flukes so definitely dealing with prazi resistant flukes here. Fembenzadole the only option I believe. Or hypo but I would just prefer the med approach now. Second dose was per the calculator on the rounds and included one in between just for luck. No deal. Will add that I held off on this because I am so close to completing the 30 days of copper safe treatment.

OP
OP
Pbh-reef

Pbh-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i cannot 100% confirm no flukes but the wrasse is back to eating worms and baby brine shrimp (no frozen yet but I’m
Not trying aggressively). I also have noticed no twitching or gill spasms or breathing air at the surface. Recovery happened after one treatment of fendo, mirroring @GoldeneyeRet s experience.

I have placed the fish in the DT and will Update this thread as time passes. But the treatment seems to have worked. Thank you @Humblefish and @GoldeneyeRet for your help!

ckalupa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! Thanks. Guess I know how my weekend is going to be spent! I dipped the purple tang the other day and got nothing (same QT) but I am sending everything through the next step as the copper ends.

Suspect I will use this as a planned step on all new acquisitions going forward. Won’t chance a contamination of my DT.

ckalupa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RE: Fenbednazole...Dr David Fishman of fishman chemical recommended I use 1 gm/day for 7-10 days on a 30 gal tank...
Don't know how that compares to Noga's recommended treatment or pbhreef's doseage or goldeneyeret...maybe they could chime in...but i tried it and it worked on one stubborn case of flukes...definitely stresses the fish out, though...

@Hot2na the dosage I read elsewhere on here was 95mg per gallon. That would be more than what you had heard. Would be interesting to see if that lower dose was sufficient?

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to hear the fish is doing well!

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Hot2na the dosage I read elsewhere on here was 95mg per gallon. That would be more than what you had heard. Would be interesting to see if that lower dose was sufficient?
95mg/gal for how long ? and is that a dry measurement? ...I have pure FB powder...

ckalupa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The program cited on other thread called for a 12 hour bath and most prazi death of flukes were observed in the first Hour.

Assume the fembenzadole is powder form. The stuff I got from revival.com are powder packs containing 275mg per pack of fembenzadole.

OP
OP
Pbh-reef

Pbh-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well everyone I have sad news - the little possum wrasse died this morning. I noticed her becoming sluggish a few days ago. I did a FW dip last night and flukes came off and it died over night.

I’m not sure if a second fenbendazole bath (as Humblefish recommends) would have helped or if some flukes survived the first bath. This is my very first time ever QTing a fish so user error is very possible. I’m sad for the little wrasse, she was very lovable and I tried my best. I hope others on this thread have happier experiences!

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 51 40.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 27.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back