prazipro only worked the first day and then not anymore!! are they really flukes?

Antoniocastro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I started a prazipro treatment for my fish in quarantine (Aquiles tang). Yesterday it has been in quarantine for a week and yesterday morning it started with these symptoms. I noticed that it was scratching, it looks pale and it swims against the flow of the wavemaker. , (but it has nothing on the skin, I mean no trace of ich or velvet on any day it has shown it). Yesterday I dosed the Prazipro and after 2 or 3 hours there was improvement, he stopped scratching and the color went pale, and he stayed that way for the whole day yesterday, but today in the morning he had the same symptoms again, it's to say he was swimming against the flow he was pale and scratching again.
I really don't know what happened to the prazipro and what is its initial action time? And if it keeps working for how long? Or does it degrade very quickly? I don't know if the fish really has flukes or or can it do a different parasite? like velvet or ich although it does not have any signs on its skin.

I appreciate your comments
thank you

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pictures and video under white light are really needed to access your situation.

You mentioned the fish is in QT. I assume it was observational only and you did not dose copper?

Prazi does degrade relatively fast, but unless you have used it in the same QT and water previously, 24 hours is unlikely the case.

How rapidly is the fish breathing? Sometimes we are able to count breathes in the video to estimate.

How often is the fish flashing?

The possibility of either ich or velvet is something we need to consider.

OP
OP
A

Antoniocastro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mentioned the fish is in QT. I assume it was observational only and you did not dose copper?

Prazi does degrade relatively fast, but unless you have used it in the same QT and water previously, 24 hours is unlikely the case.

How rapidly is the fish breathing? Sometimes we are able to count breathes in the video to estimate.

How often is the fish flashing?

The possibility of either ich or velvet is something we need to consider.
No cooper just prazipro yesterday !

The Prazipro went straight into the water the water had only been primed on Thursday, no other medication. just some bacteria added on monday or tuesday (biospira)

It's impossible to count the number of breaths, I'll just tell you that when I get close to the tank, it turns pale and waits for food...

not flashing very often, but is constantly in the flow of water and is pale!!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello,
I started a prazipro treatment for my fish in quarantine (Aquiles tang). Yesterday it has been in quarantine for a week and yesterday morning it started with these symptoms. I noticed that it was scratching, it looks pale and it swims against the flow of the wavemaker. , (but it has nothing on the skin, I mean no trace of ich or velvet on any day it has shown it). Yesterday I dosed the Prazipro and after 2 or 3 hours there was improvement, he stopped scratching and the color went pale, and he stayed that way for the whole day yesterday, but today in the morning he had the same symptoms again, it's to say he was swimming against the flow he was pale and scratching again.
I really don't know what happened to the prazipro and what is its initial action time? And if it keeps working for how long? Or does it degrade very quickly? I don't know if the fish really has flukes or or can it do a different parasite? like velvet or ich although it does not have any signs on its skin.

thank you
Reason being - Prazi Pro which is prazequantel has not fully taken effect which is the 3rd day but is a 2 1/2 week treatment protocol. The initial dose likely gave it temporary relief but has not fully gone to work. Typical is to dose once for an 8 day period. On day 9, do a good water change and dose again for an 8 day period.
Carbon MUST be removed and add an air stone for increased oxygen as Prazi reduces oxygen and appetitie slightly

OP
OP
A

Antoniocastro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reason being - Prazi Pro which is prazequantel has not fully taken effect which is the 3rd day but is a 2 1/2 week treatment protocol. The initial dose likely gave it temporary relief but has not fully gone to work. Typical is to dose once for an 8 day period. On day 9, do a good water change and dose again for an 8 day period.
Carbon MUST be removed and add an air stone for increased oxygen as Prazi reduces oxygen and appetitie slightly
I added the prazipro yesterday around three in the afternoon, it hasn't even been in the water for 24 hours

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I added the prazipro yesterday around three in the afternoon, it hasn't even been in the water for 24 hours
Exactly , so it truly has not taken full effect- you just put it in. Rarely does medication take effect day one

OP
OP
A

Antoniocastro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly , so it truly has not taken full effect- you just put it in. Rarely does medication take effect day one
Curiously, the fish yesterday after a few hours of treatment showed improvement, changed its behavior and returned to its color!

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Curiously, the fish yesterday after a few hours of treatment showed improvement, changed its behavior and returned to its color!
As stated, the initial dose may have offered temporary relief but you are in no way going to cure any specimen in 3 hours of disease

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

thank you

Typically, you do not see an improvement from Prazipro until after a day or two. In fact, with heavy flukes infestations, the fish can actually look worse (or even die) as the flukes drop off, causing them to bleed out. Additionally, the flukes dropping off cause the fish to squirm and even flash more, especially in the first three hours after dosing.

I wonder if the improvement you saw is based on something else, something not identified? Did you increase the aeration? That is supposed to be done in conjunction with Prazipro treatments, and that could have offered the fish some relief.

My worry here is that the symptoms you describe are not specific to flukes, and could be velvet (swimming into the wavemaker). People think that velvet shows as small spots on the fish, but that is actually more for freshwater velvet, a different disease. Sometimes, with marine velvet, the parasites are hidden in the gills.

Jay

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

FYI,

Praziquantel works by causing flukes to go into convulsions at which point they fall off of the fish. They then die because of no food source. However, fluke eggs may remain on the fish or in the tank. The eggs are not affected by the prazi. Once they hatch, the flukes attach to the fish. Hence, the need to redose at 8 days to remove the newly hatched flukes from the fish before they have time to lay more eggs.

OP
OP
A

Antoniocastro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typically, you do not see an improvement from Prazipro until after a day or two. In fact, with heavy flukes infestations, the fish can actually look worse (or even die) as the flukes drop off, causing them to bleed out. Additionally, the flukes dropping off cause the fish to squirm and even flash more, especially in the first three hours after dosing.

I wonder if the improvement you saw is based on something else, something not identified? Did you increase the aeration? That is supposed to be done in conjunction with Prazipro treatments, and that could have offered the fish some relief.

My worry here is that the symptoms you describe are not specific to flukes, and could be velvet (swimming into the wavemaker). People think that velvet shows as small spots on the fish, but that is actually more for freshwater velvet, a different disease. Sometimes, with marine velvet, the parasites are hidden in the gills.
I have rarely come across velvet in my life many times the ick but almost never the velvet so it is difficult for me to identify it.
the fish does not show any signs on the skin no points nor a layer of something just what I told you , turns pale and swims against the flow of the current!
Aeration remained the same. Before treatment I have power heads yes head breaking the surface of the water and air stones..

OP
OP
A

Antoniocastro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Praziquantel works by causing flukes to go into convulsions at which point they fall off of the fish. They then die because of no food source. However, fluke eggs may remain on the fish or in the tank. The eggs are not affected by the prazi. Once they hatch, the flukes attach to the fish. Hence, the need to redose at 8 days to remove the newly hatched flukes from the fish before they have time to lay more eggs.
I agree with you. But they comment on this, it seems to me that it may be another type of parasite like Velvet

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with you. But they comment on this, it seems to me that it may be another type of parasite like Velvet
I think that is all of our concern. Video / photos may still prove beneficial in diagnosis.

OP
OP
A

Antoniocastro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, it seems that the fish is better, the same as yesterday; he regained his color and is no longer swimming in front of the power head! The same thing is happening that happened yesterday afternoon. What really worries me is that the fish swims in front of the wave maker because I read in several articles that it is a symptom of Velvet so I don't know whether to wait longer to see what happens or act once and for all with copper because I know that Velvet is a quick disease!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back