OP
B

biggjoe8

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All is going good with fish in qt. They have been in qt for 7 weeks. Dispaly tank has been running at 86 degrees for 6 weeks. I will be lowering the temp before adding the fish back tomorrow. Can i lower it all at once or do I need to do it over the course of the day?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All is going good with fish in qt. They have been in qt for 7 weeks. Dispaly tank has been running at 86 degrees for 6 weeks. I will be lowering the temp before adding the fish back tomorrow. Can i lower it all at once or do I need to do it over the course of the day?

I would lower it over a few hours, but it may take that long for the tank temperature to drop on its own.

What was the display tank going fallow for? Six weeks is a bit below the 45 day minimum for marine ich. You would be safer giving it another week.

Jay

OP
OP
B

biggjoe8

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would lower it over a few hours, but it may take that long for the tank temperature to drop on its own.

What was the display tank going fallow for? Six weeks is a bit below the 45 day minimum for marine ich. You would be safer giving it another week.

Jay
I was running the display tank at 86 degrees. I read that the higher temp would get rid of ich quicker. The thread actually said it would do it in 2 weeks but since i was treating fish with copper and prazipro i went 6 weeks.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was running the display tank at 86 degrees. I read that the higher temp would get rid of ich quicker. The thread actually said it would do it in 2 weeks but since i was treating fish with copper and prazipro i went 6 weeks.

I'm not sure why anyone would advocated for a two week fallow period. Even 45 days is a bit dicey. It used to be "common knowledge" that 76 days was needed. The trouble is that number came from over extrapolation of an old paper on the subject. At 81 degrees, 45 days almost always works. Here is some discussion I started on that topic:

Jay

OP
OP
B

biggjoe8

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure why anyone would advocated for a two week fallow period. Even 45 days is a bit dicey. It used to be "common knowledge" that 76 days was needed. The trouble is that number came from over extrapolation of an old paper on the subject. At 81 degrees, 45 days almost always works. Here is some discussion I started on that topic:

Jay
The 2 week fallow period was suggested because of the higher temp. There was a couple of studies done that suggest high temps will kill ich quicker.6 weeks at 80.6. 2 weeks at 86 or above. I ran my display tank at 86 degrees for 6 weeks. Feel pretty confident that this method will work.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 2 week fallow period was suggested because of the higher temp. There was a couple of studies done that suggest high temps will kill ich quicker.6 weeks at 80.6. 2 weeks at 86 or above. I ran my display tank at 86 degrees for 6 weeks. Feel pretty confident that this method will work.
There haven’t been any formal studies that I’ve seen. Two weeks is just too short. I used to burn ich out in 21 days at 86 back in the early 1980’s, but I stopped suggesting that since it is so rough on inverts. Running fallow also needs cover velvet and flukes, so 45 days absolute minimum to cover all bases.
Jay

OP
OP
B

biggjoe8

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There haven’t been any formal studies that I’ve seen. Two weeks is just too short. I used to burn ich out in 21 days at 86 back in the early 1980’s, but I stopped suggesting that since it is so rough on inverts. Running fallow also needs cover velvet and flukes, so 45 days absolute minimum to cover all bases.
Jay
Yeah I thought 2 weeks was a little short also. All of my inverts are doing fine after 6 weeks at 86. Dropped the fish in about an hour ago so we wil know if I was successfull with this process.

OP
OP
B

biggjoe8

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE: Added all fish to dt 7 days ago. All are healthy and eating fine. No signs of ich. I know it has only been a week but feel pretty confident the high temp killed all the ich. We shall see.

OP
OP
B

biggjoe8

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update. Fish have been back in dt for 4 weeks. None of them are showing any signs of ich. It has been a long process since royal gramma first showed signs of ich on June 24th. Pretty confident the method I used worked in getting rid of ich. We shall see in the days ahead. So far pretty happy with out come.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 87 79.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.6%
Back