Praziquantel

Cflip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is going to be harder than I thought. I feel like I'm torturing them with fresh water dips then chemicals and a crappy tank!! Plus an empty tank for 76 days! Not fun.

Cflip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do I keep adding dr tims with every water change?

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even if this is just a preventative? Not sure if either one has any problems just playing it safe.

Prazipro is such a (relative) gentle medication that I recommend it as a prophylaxis for all new fish.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you ever used Fritz Clout for flukes before? I without a doubt have prazi resistant flukes and even doubling the recommended dose doesn't seem to help

I've always used formalin for prazi resistant flukes.

Clout contains 190mg/tab of Metronidazole and 7.8mg/tab of Trichlorfon. Metro treats internal parasites, but trichlorfon failed to eradicate at least one species of Monogeneans in this study: https://eafp.org/download/2012-volume32/issue_3/103-Toksen.pdf

I know one public aquarium that used De-Los (Dylox 80) to treat prazi resistant flukes and it worked! However, there was also a high mortality rate in the batch of fish they treated due to the harshness of that chemical. :(

There are some other alternative treatments discussed here, including fenbendazole which I feel is likely to eradicate intestinal worms and possibly some Monogeneans: https://digital.library.adelaide.edu.au/dspace/bitstream/2440/60980/8/02whole.pdf

TheRealDmorty217

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Humble. When formalin dipping do you dip every 3 days or every 6-7 days? Also do you dip for 3 weeks straight, I have read conflicting reports that fluke eggs can lay dormant 20 days or more?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Humble. When formalin dipping do you dip every 3 days or every 6-7 days? Also do you dip for 3 weeks straight, I have read conflicting reports that fluke eggs can lay dormant 20 days or more?

Dip twice 5-7 days apart just like you would do with prazi treatment. Start with that and if the fish needs a third, you can do that.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dip twice 5-7 days apart just like you would do with prazi treatment. Start with that and if the fish needs a third, you can do that.

+1 Just be sure to transfer the fish into a sterile QT (to prevent reinfection) following each formalin bath. Think of it like doing a TTM.

This treatment calendar tells you exactly when you need to do the second round: http://marineparasites.com/paratreatmentcal.html

TheRealDmorty217

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 Just be sure to transfer the fish into a sterile QT (to prevent reinfection) following each formalin bath. Think of it like doing a TTM.

This treatment calendar tells you exactly when you need to do the second round: http://marineparasites.com/paratreatmentcal.html

I use that same website but I haven't been able to rid the fish of flukes completely by using it. I will dip like I would if I was dosing praziquantel and transfer to sterile tanks after. Thank you Humble and Meredith

BMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What will Prazi do to snails and clams or (mollusks) ? My live rock has a ton of life on it. Will Prazi kill everything off ? That's not my goal !

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What will Prazi do to snails and clams or (mollusks) ? My live rock has a ton of life on it. Will Prazi kill everything off ? That's not my goal !

No. I answered this in the other thread where you asked, but I'll answer it here too for the other readers. Prazi can effect feather dusters and bristleworms, but that seems to not happen often. It is just something to be aware of.

BMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tonight I dosed 1 teaspoon of PraziPro to my 29 gallon JBJ. The directions say 1 tsp / 20 gallons of water. I figured with all the live rock and sand I probably am close to 20 gallons of actual water volume.

All looks normal except the hammer and frog spawn closed right up. Hope they will be okay.

BMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
12 hours after dosing PraziPro and I still see the fish rubbing on sand.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
12 hours after dosing PraziPro and I still see the fish rubbing on sand.
It can take 24 hours exposure to prazi to see it's full effect. Some of the fish will continue to scratch even after the parasites are gone. After all, the bites will itch some as they heal.

BMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just dosed the 2nd treatment. 7 days have passed since the first one. Midas Blenny is still scratching. Clowns seemed to have stopped or I haven't witnessed it anyway.

BMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I take that back. I just witnessed it ! Ugh....

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 39.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 50 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back