Praziquantel

lonewonderer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Humble fish. Here are some pictures of that the french angel and the har tusk have. Please let me know what to do. Need expert help

IMG_7572.JPG

IMG_7573.JPG

IMG_7574.JPG

IMG_7576.JPG

IMG_7577.JPG

IMG_7578.JPG

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

57hornet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I am very sad and discouraged. One of my two Cardinals stopped eating and has died. My remaining Percula still won't eat and swims around with its mouth open. The remaining Cardinal seems to be ok and the Coral Beauty is very active. I am treating the remaining three with CP and hoping for the best. It seems like I am doing something wrong, but I really have no idea what it is.

lonewonderer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish Sir I went the other way. I know this is bad but I have decided to do it. I dosed my DT with copper safe and prazipro. After so much headache i went for it. Now the MV, Ich and bacterial infection is gone. I called fritz aquatic and the owner of my LFS and they both said the same thing. It is safe BUT you have to use Fritz zyme 9 because the bacteria strain is cultured specifically for copper safe. That's what they told me. Anyway, the fishes are doing much much better no more scratching, dashing, shaking heads etc. and they eat a lot like never before. again thank you so much humblefish for a lot of clarifications that you told me. you are the best!

Thomashtom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prazipro (praziquantel): Treats flukes, black ich, and some internal parasites (worms).

How To Treat - In either a quarantine or display tank, dose Prazipro at the rate of 1 teaspoon per 20 gallons of water. DO NOT OVERDOSE (especially with wrasses), try not to mix with other medications (for various reasons), and provide additional gas exchange while treating with Prazi. Wait about a week, do a 20-25% water change and then repeat dosage. The reason for the second dose is to eradicate the “next generation” of worms before they can lay eggs of their own. Because while Prazi does kill worms, it doesn’t eliminate any eggs they might leave behind.

If you are treating a known prazi sensitive species (ex. wrasse), you can run carbon or perform a water change 24 hours after dosing in order to limit exposure time. While praziquantel does remain active in the water column for up to 72 hours, only 24 hours are needed for it to eradicate external worms. Don't forget to still do the second round though!

Prazipro is generally considered reef safe, although it may kill any tube worms/feathers dusters you have. It may also eradicate bristle worms. If you have mass quantities of these, the resulting die-off can lead to an ammonia spike. After treatment is done, activated carbon may be used to remove any residuals (if you need to use a different medication next). If using a protein skimmer post-treatment, be advised that it will “over skim” for at least a couple of weeks.

Pros - Reef safe, effective dewormer that is relatively gentle on most fish.

Cons/Side Effects - Mild appetite suppression, moderate oxygen depletion, wrasses are sensitive to overdosing.

Edit: You can use this treatment calendar to determine when is the best time to add the second dose of Prazipro: http://www.marineparasites.com/paratreatmentcal.html
Hi Humblefish, what is dosage for praziquantel powder? Thanks

Brisay01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prazipro (praziquantel): Treats flukes, black ich, and some internal parasites (worms).

How To Treat - In either a quarantine or display tank, dose Prazipro at the rate of 1 teaspoon per 20 gallons of water. DO NOT OVERDOSE (especially with wrasses), try not to mix with other medications (for various reasons), and provide additional gas exchange while treating with Prazi. Wait about a week, do a 20-25% water change and then repeat dosage. The reason for the second dose is to eradicate the “next generation” of worms before they can lay eggs of their own. Because while Prazi does kill worms, it doesn’t eliminate any eggs they might leave behind.

If you are treating a known prazi sensitive species (ex. wrasse), you can run carbon or perform a water change 24 hours after dosing in order to limit exposure time. While praziquantel does remain active in the water column for up to 72 hours, only 24 hours are needed for it to eradicate external worms. Don't forget to still do the second round though!

Prazipro is generally considered reef safe, although it may kill any tube worms/feathers dusters you have. It may also eradicate bristle worms. If you have mass quantities of these, the resulting die-off can lead to an ammonia spike. After treatment is done, activated carbon may be used to remove any residuals (if you need to use a different medication next). If using a protein skimmer post-treatment, be advised that it will “over skim” for at least a couple of weeks.

Pros - Reef safe, effective dewormer that is relatively gentle on most fish.

Cons/Side Effects - Mild appetite suppression, moderate oxygen depletion, wrasses are sensitive to overdosing.

Edit: You can use this treatment calendar to determine when is the best time to add the second dose of Prazipro: http://www.marineparasites.com/paratreatmentcal.html
Thank you for this extremely detailed and useful article . One question, after waiting a week , then redosing, do I have to wait an additional 7 Days after the second dose before doing a water change or adding carbon back or can I after 3 Days ? Thanks in advance .

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for this extremely detailed and useful article . One question, after waiting a week , then redosing, do I have to wait an additional 7 Days after the second dose before doing a water change or adding carbon back or can I after 3 Days ? Thanks in advance .
You can do a water change 24-48 hours later because that’s how long it lasts in the water column. After the first few hours the flukes it can kill are all dead, generally. To be safe, I’d add all the media and do a water change after 48 hours, although 24 would be fine almost always.

Brisay01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can do a water change 24-48 hours later because that’s how long it lasts in the water column. After the first few hours the flukes it can kill are all dead, generally. To be safe, I’d add all the media and do a water change after 48 hours, although 24 would be fine almost always.
. Ok will do . Thank you for the quick response .

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok..need some input. I just treated my DT which right now is angels and wrasses basically. all is going well. and was going well. i decided to do a prazi treatment to the entire DT as one of my wrasses was looking pale and so was the female scribble. when i say pale i mean.. loss of color. No signs or visable signs of ick or flukes any of the 25 plus fish in the DT. But again, they the female scribble and wrasse were pale in color. Wrasse might be pale due to being picked on and hiding. He is only out during feeding. but eats like a pig.. all fish eat like pigs in the DT. But since they were pale i thought way not do a prazzi treatment.. so i did a treatment.

I see this am the female scribble is breathing heavy and kinda just hanging out next to some rocks. she seems like she wants to scratch but doesnt. before the prazi treatment all fish good. no signs of ick ect. all fish eating well.. i mean like following from one end of the tank to the other when they see me come into the room.. the female scribble although showing this issues is still eating as always. Today is day 3 after the treatment started and I am changing out 240 gallons.. which is like 30 percent of the water.

so have we seen this type of reaction when doing a prazi treatment to a tank. If there were a number of flukes in the gills that are now dead,, would this account for the behaviour above. ??

On a side note.. this tank went through a fallow treatment for about a year to clean it of ick which killed off a bunch of fish and did some other harm which i posted in another thread.. so i dont think this is ick. at least I am hoping it is not. given what i went through to get ride of it in the DT.

another question. i assume this is not velvet given the lack of color for over several months already.. Velvet kills fast so i can not see this being velvet. again, this issue started when i added the prazi...like a few hours later i noticed.

thanks

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@chicago When a fish has flukes and prazi is dosed into the water, the most common observation is the fish will begin twitching vigorously. This is because all the flukes spasming on the fish simultaneously causes great discomfort. But it usually passes in an hour or so. Lethargy and appetite suppression are two common side effects of prazi, and these can last for several days.

Unfortunately, paleness in fish can be a symptom of many different ailments - worms, parasites, infection, etc. Or sometimes paleness is simply due to stress.

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for confirming my thoughts. Colors onnhe rloiking good and the good news is the gangs have no signs of ick. Sonia am keeping my fingers crossed that her positive colors and twitching are killing of gill flukes. I never saw flukes on any of the Fish outsides.

I can one other observation that might be helpful to other reefers. I have used general cure in the past which has metro and prazi. I do not think it works as well as prazi on that use. The straight prazi Caused water to foam and more micro bubbles from skimmer thus confirming its solubility into the water Colum as compared to general cure which was Much much less

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back