OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you dose with prazipro and then do copper in qt tank if shouldn't mix?

Do water changes/run carbon (or a Poly Filter pad is an even better option) to remove copper or prazi beforehand. Technically speaking though, you can mix the two but not without these two risk factors to consider:
  1. The presence of copper reduces prazi's overall effectiveness (but not enough to make a difference IME)
  2. Mixing copper + prazi can lead to a bacterial bloom (cloudy water) which starves O2 out of the water. Doesn't happen every time, but when it does it's more of a problem than #1.
Each instance, the treated fish did not live longer than 14 months after treatment. No visible signs of any disease upon death. Possible coincidence, but curious nonetheless.

You're not the only one. Myself and others have noticed most fish we've had to use formalin on don't live beyond 18-24 months. My pet theory is the fish develops cancer over an internal organ. I wish I had dissected some of them in an effort to provide evidence to support this theory. Bad timing, as now I am very reluctant to use formalin on any fish (especially since discovering acriflavine as a formalin alternative.)

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mixing copper + prazi can lead to a bacterial bloom (cloudy water) which starves O2 out of the water. Doesn't happen every time, but when it does it's more of a problem than #1.

We use Copper at the LFS I work at and I run Prazipro through that system every monday (we get new fish in every week). We have only experienced one bacterial bloom and luckily didn't lose any fish because of it. We have so much oxygen being pumped into the water through our filtration that it didn't seem to make a difference to the fish....just management who spent an hour texting me about this "problem" on my day off. lol

Tautog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great info Humblefish, so if fins are healing themselves, my water quality is good. I seem to always questioning if everything is OK. Most results occur over time, so I'm always wondering.

TheRealDmorty217

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for post 21. I have read accounts of Formalin exposed fish not living nearly their expected life, even after only one dip of 45 mins or less. Was hoping this wasn't the norm since all fish i currently have, have been formalin dipped

cymonous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently treating my fish in Quarantine with Melafix, but was told my fish may have black Ich. Can I mix prazipro and Melafix? Or do I need to do a large water change before changing meds?

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for post 21. I have read accounts of Formalin exposed fish not living nearly their expected life, even after only one dip of 45 mins or less. Was hoping this wasn't the norm since all fish i currently have, have been formalin dipped

I would appreciate you keeping tabs on those fish and their lifespan. Would help confirm/dispute the "18-24 month" formalin theory.

I'm currently treating my fish in Quarantine with Melafix, but was told my fish may have black Ich. Can I mix prazipro and Melafix? Or do I need to do a large water change before changing meds?
Cannot say for sure, as I have never mixed the two. However, being Melafix is just an herbal remedy it is probably safe to combine them.

tcoyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the post Humblefish. I started Prazi on my fairy wrasse on Saturday and he seems to be going great. Eating like a pig still and very active. I only dosed 1tsp for my 29 gallon (25 total water volume). But I wanted to make sure I did not overdose.

TheRealDmorty217

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would appreciate you keeping tabs on those fish and their lifespan. Would help confirm/dispute the "18-24 month" formalin theory.

I sure will. I plan on not formalin dipping any more fish by the way. All fish I currently have except for 3 have been exposed to formalin, so I hope that this 18-24 month lifespan isn't accurate...

dochow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Per instructions for prazipro from Humblefish, I am looking for a little clarification.

If you do a 25% water change 5-7 days after the first dose and then re-dose again, do you dose the full tank volume or just the 25% water you removed?

If you dose the full tank volume again, wouldn't that essentially bring the levels of praziquantel well above the recommended dosage? Or, does praziquantel break down on its own to less active compounds over the first 5-7 days and therefore you need to re-dose the entire tank volume?

Thank you, Nate

Duke4Life

Just a crazy eel guy, LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Per instructions for prazipro from Humblefish, I am looking for a little clarification.

If you do a 25% water change 5-7 days after the first dose and then re-dose again, do you dose the full tank volume or just the 25% water you removed?

If you dose the full tank volume again, wouldn't that essentially bring the levels of praziquantel well above the recommended dosage? Or, does praziquantel break down on its own to less active compounds over the first 5-7 days and therefore you need to re-dose the entire tank volume?

Thank you, Nate
Redose total water volume again. By what I've gathered is it somehow breaks down unlike copper that is used. I've not had a problem with this.

TheRealDmorty217

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thank you, Nate

When I called Hikari I was told essentially the med is inactive after 3 days and was advised that if you have resistant flukes to redose after 3 days. For clarification Hikari doesn't have any technical support and you only talk with a salesman who isn't educated like you would expect from tech support.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Redose total water volume again. By what I've gathered is it somehow breaks down unlike copper that is used. I've not had a problem with this.

When I called Hikari I was told essentially the med is inactive after 3 days and was advised that if you have resistant flukes to redose after 3 days. For clarification Hikari doesn't have any technical support and you only talk with a salesman who isn't educated like you would expect from tech support.

Good advice above. Prazi is only active in the water for 48 hours and does it's job in the first 24 of those hours. You do the water change to pull out the dead ones (or more accurately any ammonia from their deaths), the redose the entire amount to catch the hatchlings from the eggs the first batch laid.

Blitzie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to revive an old thread but question is very related.
The instructions say to shut skimmer off and remove carbon.

Do you do that for 48 hours?

TheRealDmorty217

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to revive an old thread but question is very related.
The instructions say to shut skimmer off and remove carbon.

Do you do that for 48 hours?

72hrs is what most do but like mentioned above the praziquantel will do what it's suppose to (cause the flukes to spasm off) in the first 24hrs so with that being said you would be fine to resume skimming after 48hrs.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added this in:
If you are treating a known prazi sensitive species (ex. wrasse), you can run carbon or perform a water change 24 hours after dosing in order to limit exposure time. While praziquantel does remain active in the water column for up to 72 hours, only 24 hours are needed for it to eradicate external worms. Don't forget to still do the second round though!

Cflip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm going to QT for 76 days because is going fallow. I have a fairy wrasse and a flame hawk.. I'm planning on a FW dip followed by? Prazipro dip or the whole 10 gallon tank? I will also be doing a coppersafe treatment later just to cover all bases. I've lost too many fish now.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm going to QT for 76 days because is going fallow. I have a fairy wrasse and a flame hawk.. I'm planning on a FW dip followed by? Prazipro dip or the whole 10 gallon tank? I will also be doing a coppersafe treatment later just to cover all bases. I've lost too many fish now.

You treat the entire QT when using Prazipro. Wait about a week, do a 20-25% water change and then dose Prazipro again. 24 hours after that your fish should be worm free.

Elegance Coral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Quick cure/ malachite green and formalin, has been my go to prophylactic medication for more than two decades. I have had no problems with fish dying before their time. I have treated young clowns, then watched them grow up and spawn for many years to fallow. I have treated many different species over the years and have seen no evidence to suggest their lives were cut short due to the medication.
I don't completely fallow the directions though. I treat for 24 hours, fallowed by a 100% water change and cleaning of the tank. The fish is observed in clean water with no meds for 24 hours, then meds are added and treated for another 24 hours. This is fallowed by another 100% water change, and the fish is observed until I feel it's healthy enough to be introduced to an established system.
This is my procedure for fish with no signs of parasites, or illness. If there is a problem, then naturally, that problem is addressed. Like, if ich is observed, I typically add fresh water dips to the process. Mainly just to give the fish some relief. Signs of flukes/black ich/internal parasites, are treated with prozi.
Some fish are just short lived if they're medicated or not. With many wrasses, anthias, and dart fish, you're doing good if you get five years out of them. Other fish are much longer lived. Like clowns and tangs that can easily live for several decades.
I'm not suggesting anyone adopt my method. There are many methods out there that work. I just don't agree with the idea that formalin reduces the life expectancy of fish that are treated with it. I've seen no evidence of this.
HTH
Peace
EC

Cflip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You treat the entire QT when using Prazipro. Wait about a week, do a 20-25% water change and then dose Prazipro again. 24 hours after that your fish should be worm free.

Even if this is just a preventative? Not sure if either one has any problems just playing it safe.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 40 58.8%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 18 26.5%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 7.4%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back