Praziquantel

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not speaking from experience, just based on stuff I've read, including the first post of this thread.

Yes but he only said that they are sensitive to overdosing of prazi not prazi itself and if you are worried about overdosing prazi just use GC it has prazi at the correct dose.

Josh Kraft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes but he only said that they are sensitive to overdosing of prazi not prazi itself and if you are worried about overdosing prazi just use GC it has prazi at the correct dose.

It also says this

If you are treating a known prazi sensitive species (ex. wrasse), you can run carbon or perform a water change 24 hours after dosing in order to limit exposure time. While praziquantel does remain active in the water column for up to 72 hours, only 24 hours are needed for it to eradicate external worms. Don't forget to still do the second round though!

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not going to take away from anything humblefish said cause he’s the big dog but I never had a problem with prazi and wrasses once prazi is used the correct way. Right now I have a leopard going through the second round of it I’m qt.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
? Where are people finding this info on prazi being bad for wrasses. I never had a problem with wrasses and prazi not even the slightest

What kind of wrasses have you treated? There is a lot of anecdotal evidence that wrasses can be sensitive to ALL MEDS - including Prazipro. Flasher/Fairy Wrasses seem to be the most delicate.

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of wrasses have you treated? There is a lot of anecdotal evidence that wrasses can be sensitive to ALL MEDS - including Prazipro. Flasher/Fairy Wrasses seem to be the most delicate.

All my wrasses go through prazi from fairy’s to leopards and never had a problem that was caused by prazi.

matmatoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We use praziquantel in our commercial import facility on our fish, that arrive direct from exporters overseas, and we LOVE IT. Fish come out of QT much more healthy than those who haven't been treated with prazi, and we also run copper while medicating prazi.

Would't ever import without it.

Pickleowl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would GC be safer to use than Prazi? I read do not overdose Prazi alot but never on GC.. Is Prazi more effective hence better than GC?

Also, I'm admittedly a chicken now to dose anything after reading stories of apparently healthy fish dying after Prazi (although there are more success stories).. I read as much as I could on QT and meds and have prepared and planned to do Humble's plan A QT,, have 2 clowns in QT now waiting to dose Prazi and am a nervous Nellie now for some reason..

With 2 clowns showing no signs of flukes, would a fresh water dip be better to see if they have flukes at all? And if no flukes seen after dip, then safe to say they have none and move to CP with no Prazi or could they still be on the fish after the dip even with none present in water after the dip? Not sure I made sense on that example..

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like GC as it contains both praziquantel and metro. Where as the praziquantel works great on the external parasites like flukes; the metro works great on internal parasites like worms. Win-win. And the dose of praziquantel in GC is a bit lower at 2.0 mg/L. So it's easier on sensitive fish. Highly recommend. It's a powder. Use a brine shrimp net. Place the net halfway into the water. Dump in the GC. Massage the net, expressing the GC into the water column. Wait 5-7 days. Do a 25% wc and redone the GC. Easy.

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would GC be safer to use than Prazi? I read do not overdose Prazi alot but never on GC.. Is Prazi more effective hence better than GC?

GC contains a lower (but still effective) concentration of praziquantel ... 2.0 mg/L vs. 2.5 mg/L. GC also doesn't contain Oxybispropanol (or any solubilizing agent) which can interact negatively with other meds by causing a bacterial bloom. So, those two considerations make it safer to use than Prazipro.

However, EVERYTHING has good & bad to it. The downside to using GC is if you were to encounter a prazi resistant strain of flukes then Prazipro would be more likely to overcome it than GC.

With 2 clowns showing no signs of flukes, would a fresh water dip be better to see if they have flukes at all? And if no flukes seen after dip, then safe to say they have none and move to CP with no Prazi or could they still be on the fish after the dip even with none present in water after the dip? Not sure I made sense on that example..

A 5 min FW dip is a great diagnostic tool to determine whether or not a fish has flukes. If you are more comfortable doing that than using prazi, go for it. :) Most people find doing a FW dip to be nerve-racking. ;Sour

Pickleowl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 5 min FW dip is a great diagnostic tool to determine whether or not a fish has flukes. If you are more comfortable doing that than using prazi, go for it. :) Most people find doing a FW dip to be nerve-racking. ;Sour

My chicken butt finds them both nerve racking when I have 2 little cute clowns looking at me..
Not sure if I'll do the dip or Prazi but,,
If no sign of flukes in freshwater dip, is it safe to say no flukes and move on to CP?

Pickleowl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just not sure if I have heard if a FW dip is an absolute for no flukes if you see no flukes,, if some could reside in the gills like ich/velvet and you wouldn't know it.. Seems I've heard a dip will kill alot of the flukes but not all but at least you know you have flukes after the dip but have never heard the reverse by saying if you see no flukes then there are definitely no flukes..

puffy127

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you guys have references for it only taking 24 hours to eradicate external worms? How about references for how long it stays in the water column? I'd like to read more about it. Thanks.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

puffy127

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

puffy127

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...While praziquantel does remain active in the water column for up to 72 hours, only 24 hours are needed for it to eradicate external worms...

Still can't find any further information on this. Also what about how long is needed to eradicate internal parasites?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 51 52.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.2%
Back