Praziquantel

Fishnut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That appears to be brown stringy poop. If it's not white in color it may very well just be an irritated digestive system. What do you feed?
I feed: LRS fish and reef frenzy, fresh clam, pe mysis, nori, Hikari mega angel, and marine A , New Life Spectrum marine formula and some PE Flake. The poop was white and stringy and after two weeks of treatment with Metro it turned into tan in color stringy as in the photo. Most of the poop is encapsulated. The fish has put on weight and acts normal but until it is able to have a normal poop it will not make it to the display tank. Any help on treating this fish would be greatly appreciated.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This Sticky (Original Post) has been edited with new info. Reflecting up to date procedures and currently available products etc.

LeprechaunReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So from the original post, I'm gathering you can soak prazi into pellets much the same way you can soak metro - so long as you use focus to bind. My question is, I've got liquid prazi, powdered focus and good pellets to use for this (have already had success binding metro with focus the same way). When you soak 1/8 tsp prazi into pellets using focus, what dosing instructions do you follow when feeding your fish these pellets for the medication to be effective. I'm currently planning to do Prazi while also feeding the metro soaked pellets, but need to know how frequently to do it.

Thomashtom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t know exactly how much prazi but tried it many times but fish got the most part won’t eat it supposedly from the taste of the prazipro. I even added garlic extreme!!!

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The directions for Prazipro say to stop UV during treatment. Can the UV be used to eliminate residual Prazi after treatment is complete as activated carbon would? Thanks!

mjt82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question: When soaking food in GC (per Humblefish's recipe mentioned in the first post) is the Focus absolutely necessary? I have some Focus on order, but hoped to begin treatment with GC as soon as possible. Should I wait on it to come in before I begin treating my fish? The fish in question is a copperband butterfly that I've had for about 9 months, eats like a horse but is looking thin.

Second question: Since I'm really only concerned that one of my fish may have an internal parasite infestation - Should I be concerned that the rest of my fish will consume the GC-treated food? Is it OK for the general population whilst I'm treated the one affected fish?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as it is eating, go ahead and just dose into the water of the QT. Dose, Then wait 5-7 days. Do a 25% water change. Do second dose. Then wait 5-7 days. Do a 25% water change. Then observe for 10-14 days. Sometimes a second regimen is needed.

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any potential issues that can occur from dosing Vibrant (cultured bacteria blend & amoino acids) while treating Prazipro in the display?

Thank you!

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any potential issues that can occur from dosing Vibrant (cultured bacteria blend & amoino acids) while treating Prazipro in the display?

Thank you!
I would advise against it, each product has its own risks and could potentially have negative effects. I've used both, but not together, and my main concern would be with corals; prazi reduces oxygen in the water and can cause stress to corals but they usually bounce back ok, vibrant can impact the zooxanthellae in coral and also cause stress

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm 4 days in on the first dose in the display. Did a water change today to prepare for dose #2.

I did see a new fluke that did not die from the original dose on one of my fish yesterday. I assume this was in the egg during the first dose. It is no longer on the fish today.

Seeing as this fluke could be completing its life cycle, should this change when I dose the second dose of prazi in my display?

Questions below to ensure these flukes are eradicated:
Does this unkilled fluke change the timeline on the second dose?
Should I wait till 7 days after the original dose for dose 2? Or should I apply the second dose tomorrow, 5 days after the original?
And should I apply a third dose to ensure any remaining flukes are gone?

Thank you so much!

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm 4 days in on the first dose in the display. Did a water change today to prepare for dose #2.

I did see a new fluke that did not die from the original dose on one of my fish yesterday. I assume this was in the egg during the first dose. It is no longer on the fish today.

Seeing as this fluke could be completing its life cycle, should this change when I dose the second dose of prazi in my display?

Questions below to ensure these flukes are eradicated:
Does this unkilled fluke change the timeline on the second dose?
Should I wait till 7 days after the original dose for dose 2? Or should I apply the second dose tomorrow, 5 days after the original?
And should I apply a third dose to ensure any remaining flukes are gone?

Thank you so much!
It was most likely a hatchling, 5 to 7 days is the recommended time line between doses so tomorrow should be fine. It would be advisable to do a freshwater dip 5 to 7 days after the second dose, if you find flukes again then you've got a prazi resistant strain and another treatment would be needed (fenbendazole or hyposalinity)

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Kyle Bruin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. Just so I can square that in my brain. I know the major benefit of food soaking the GC is that it is more reef safe that way. But feeding them that medication every day for 2-3 weeks vs emptying a packet once a week for two weeks seem like very different dosages. I would think the food method is giving the fish far more medicine. Is that true? Why would dosing the water once kill them vs just eating the food once? At least for prazi. Even dosing metroplex into the water is every 48. I would have thought the water method would have to be done more frequently than if they inject it directly.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. Just so I can square that in my brain. I know the major benefit of food soaking the GC is that it is more reef safe that way. But feeding them that medication every day for 2-3 weeks vs emptying a packet once a week for two weeks seem like very different dosages. I would think the food method is giving the fish far more medicine. Is that true? Why would dosing the water once kill them vs just eating the food once? At least for prazi. Even dosing metroplex into the water is every 48. I would have thought the water method would have to be done more frequently than if they inject it directly.
The two different methods of delivery treat for different ailments.

Used through food treats for internal pathogens such as worms and parasites that are in the intestinal tract.

Used through dosing the water column you are treating for external worms such as flukes. It can also be beneficial for treatment of uronema or brook since the medication contains metronidazole. You would have to dose additional metro between the GC doses to be more effective.

Kyle Bruin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The two different methods of delivery treat for different ailments.

Used through food treats for internal pathogens such as worms and parasites that are in the intestinal tract.

Used through dosing the water column you are treating for external worms such as flukes. It can also be beneficial for treatment of uronema or brook since the medication contains metronidazole. You would have to dose additional metro between the GC doses to be more effective.
Gotcha, I just reread the OP for this thread (as well as Humblefish's Internal Pathogens and Flukes posts and see the distinction now. Thanks!

skijumpersc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 70 gallon tank with a 20 gallon sump that i'm afraid I'm going to have to dose with prazipro. I found what appears to be a skin fluke on my yellow watchman goby. I'm trying to catch him to do a dip and confirm, but since my reef has been contaminated I think I'm going to treat with prazipro just to be safe.

I've been reading through a bunch of threads on this and I think I have the method figured out.

1: large water change prior to treatment. 20-25%?
2: turn off carbon reactor
3:remove skimmer cup, but let skimmer run to aerate tank
4:power head or return pump at surface for more aeration
5:dose
6: 20-25% water change 7 days after dosing
8: second dose 8 days later based on marine parasite calculator
9: water change and media back online after 24-48 hours

The problem is I'm leaving for several days two days after the second dose if I do the first dose tomorrow. I'll probably have to do my water change after the second dose 24 hrs apart. That should be a sufficient time for the second dose to take effect.

Does this plan look right?

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 70 gallon tank with a 20 gallon sump that i'm afraid I'm going to have to dose with prazipro. I found what appears to be a skin fluke on my yellow watchman goby. I'm trying to catch him to do a dip and confirm, but since my reef has been contaminated I think I'm going to treat with prazipro just to be safe.

I've been reading through a bunch of threads on this and I think I have the method figured out.

1: large water change prior to treatment. 20-25%?
2: turn off carbon reactor
3:remove skimmer cup, but let skimmer run to aerate tank
4:power head or return pump at surface for more aeration
5:dose
6: 20-25% water change 7 days after dosing
8: second dose 8 days later based on marine parasite calculator
9: water change and media back online after 24-48 hours

The problem is I'm leaving for several days two days after the second dose if I do the first dose tomorrow. I'll probably have to do my water change after the second dose 24 hrs apart. That should be a sufficient time for the second dose to take effect.

Does this plan look right?
You are fine to do the water change in between doses anytime 24hrs after dose 1 up to any time right before 2nd dose.

No need for water change before dose 1 or after dose 2, just the single change in between.

All of your other items you listed are correct. You can skim between doses after 24hrs if you so desire. Skimmer will go crazy for a few days though and probably need adjustment. Also watch for foam in sump when letting skimmer run without cup which is necessary for oxygenation IMO.

skijumpersc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are fine to do the water change in between doses anytime 24hrs after dose 1 up to any time right before 2nd dose.

No need for water change before dose 1 or after dose 2, just the single change in between.

All of your other items you listed are correct. You can skim between doses after 24hrs if you so desire. Skimmer will go crazy for a few days though and probably need adjustment. Also watch for foam in sump when letting skimmer run without cup which is necessary for oxygenation IMO.
ok cool. Is it dumb to do this without getting a 100% id on the flukes? I've got a fish trap in right now, but if he doesn't fall for that Im not getting him without tearing the tank apart completely. He's acting normal and has a good appetite still and none of the other fish seem effected yet

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok cool. Is it dumb to do this without getting a 100% id on the flukes? I've got a fish trap in right now, but if he doesn't fall for that Im not getting him without tearing the tank apart completely. He's acting normal and has a good appetite still and none of the other fish seem effected yet
I wouldn’t do it unless I was pretty sure that flukes were present. Although prazi is a reef safe medication and I have never had issues with it at all in a DT.

skijumpersc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t do it unless I was pretty sure that flukes were present. Although prazi is a reef safe medication and I have never had issues with it at all in a DT.
It looks a lot like this
1569383373577.png

its probably 1/8" long and attached at one end. Its about the same color as well.

skijumpersc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So the last thing I’m trying to figure out is my dose. I measured my water volume based on the water height and the inner width and length of the tank and sump and got 68 gallons. The problem is I’m going to have to estimate the volume displaced by my live rock and pumps.

Am I better off estimating on the high side or low side? If I estimate the live rock to be more than it is I risk not dosing strong enough. If i go the other way I risk an overdose. In your experience which possible outcome is more costly/ likely?

From what I understand the necessary dosage is 20g/ml and the dosage prazipro recommends is actually 25g/ml. If this is the case I should err on the low side as i should still have a sufficient dose

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.7%
Back