Precautions when buying a used tank?

Austin Lee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Going to be buying a 25 gallon innovative marine AIO lagoon tank this evening when I get off of work. The last used tank I bought had a ton of problems (though I never found out if it was because the tank was used).

That being said, are there any precautions I should take when I buy this tank as far as cleaning? I haven't seen the tank in person, but from photos it looks pretty clean. That being said, who knows what bacteria will be in it from their livestock.

What do you do when you buy a used tank?

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if concerned about water leak, can always ask seller to put water in tank before u buy. I always bought used tanks w no regrets. Just give it a bleach & vinegar bath to disinfect it and tank will be like brand new. 1-2 cups of bleach (in ur case 1 cup should be plenty) with tank full of water and let it run for 24 hrs, drain and rinse/wipe down and let it dry. The bleach will evaporate and tank will be ready to go. U can use vinegar if there are coraline algae or mineral deposits built up on tank, otherwise vinegar is not necessary.

I buy mostly used equipment (pump, powerhead, heater etc) and prior to using any of them I always give it a bleach bath to disinfect.

OP
OP
Austin Lee

Austin Lee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if concerned about water leak, can always ask seller to put water in tank before u buy. I always bought used tanks w no regrets. Just give it a bleach & vinegar bath to disinfect it and tank will be like brand new. 1-2 cups of bleach (in ur case 1 cup should be plenty) with tank full of water and let it run for 24 hrs, drain and rinse/wipe down and let it dry. The bleach will evaporate and tank will be ready to go. U can use vinegar if there are coraline algae or mineral deposits built up on tank, otherwise vinegar is not necessary.

I buy mostly used equipment (pump, powerhead, heater etc) and prior to using any of them I always give it a bleach bath to disinfect.

Awesome, thank you! I have a couple of questions about that:

1. Should I do this on my patio? Will the bleach make my house smell like bleach?
2. The tank will be dry while I am setting it up for about 1-2 months probably. Will that be enough time for any remaining bleach particles to be gone? Don't want them to mess up my bacteria cycle.

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1. Should I do this on my patio? Will the bleach make my house smell like bleach?
I gave bleach bath while tank was in dining room and it was ok, family didn't complain about smell. It's so diluted, 1cup to 25 gal. Fill tank w water first before putting bleach in to minimize smell.

2. The tank will be dry while I am setting it up for about 1-2 months probably. Will that be enough time for any remaining bleach particles to be gone? Don't want them to mess up my bacteria cycle.
oh yeah, only need few days for bleach to have safely evaporated.
GL

scott4077

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

yes and yes

OP
OP
Austin Lee

Austin Lee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gave bleach bath while tank was in dining room and it was ok, family didn't complain about smell. It's so diluted, 1cup to 25 gal. Fill tank w water first before putting bleach in to minimize smell.

oh yeah, only need few days for bleach to have safely evaporated.
GL

Love it, thanks for the tips!

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 48 55.2%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 26 29.9%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back