Precipitate in mixing water

BRS

Kingkold020

View Badges
Reaction score
I started my reef around 7 months ago back in November. I have had the same bucket of reef crystals the whole time. My problem is that now after mixing for a couple of hours the water will begin to have these white floaties. I currently don’t have a picture but I can mix up some water if needed.

Anyone know what the problem is? My power head and bucket are always clean. The bucket is usually fully closed as well. Should I just get a new type of salt mix. What do you guys recommend and how would I go about acclimating my tank to a new salt mix?

Zoanthids

lapin

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I have always found IO salts to have floaties as well as leaving a film in the mixing container.

bearpeidog

View Badges
Reaction score
Instant ocean uses some sort of clay to prevent clumping or so I’ve heard. I switched after researching why. I now use Red Sea and dont see as much gunk. The red sea buckets are a lot less durable then the IO.

KrisReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
To "acclimate" the tank to a new salt mix you will/may need to adjust parameters if the two mix up at highly different foundational (dKh, calcium) levels- especially if you are going to be doing a large water change with the new salt,

Or do small water changes (1 gallon/50) with the new salt to "drip acclimate" the display to the new parameters.

Goal, don't cause an alk swing or other parameter spike/swing changing formulas.

My wife is yelling at me while I type so hopefully this will make more sense than she is.

Kris

Reef Chasers Aquaculture
BRS

Have you ever grown your own live aquarium food?

• YES and it was a success (tell us in the thread)

Votes: 35 25.7%
  • YES but I couldn't sustain it long term

Votes: 19 14.0%
  • NO, I tried but couldn't

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • NO, I have never tried

Votes: 76 55.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 1 0.7%
Vivid