Precipitate in mixing water

Kingkold020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my reef around 7 months ago back in November. I have had the same bucket of reef crystals the whole time. My problem is that now after mixing for a couple of hours the water will begin to have these white floaties. I currently don’t have a picture but I can mix up some water if needed.

Anyone know what the problem is? My power head and bucket are always clean. The bucket is usually fully closed as well. Should I just get a new type of salt mix. What do you guys recommend and how would I go about acclimating my tank to a new salt mix?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always found IO salts to have floaties as well as leaving a film in the mixing container.

bearpeidog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instant ocean uses some sort of clay to prevent clumping or so I’ve heard. I switched after researching why. I now use Red Sea and dont see as much gunk. The red sea buckets are a lot less durable then the IO.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To "acclimate" the tank to a new salt mix you will/may need to adjust parameters if the two mix up at highly different foundational (dKh, calcium) levels- especially if you are going to be doing a large water change with the new salt,

Or do small water changes (1 gallon/50) with the new salt to "drip acclimate" the display to the new parameters.

Goal, don't cause an alk swing or other parameter spike/swing changing formulas.

My wife is yelling at me while I type so hopefully this will make more sense than she is.

Kris

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back