Predatory fish for 29 gallon tank

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What smaller predatory or aggressive fish would work in a 29 gallon tank and preferably eat pellets and can be fed once a day?

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Off the top of my head, anything that fits that bill will very quickly outgrow a 29 gallon tank.
Things that fit the bill for a VERY short period of time would be triggers and groupers.
Both can and will grow quickly and need to be re-homed sooner than you would probably like.
I might suggesting a different group of fish, or.. a bigger tank.

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t think it eats pellets but you could get away with a dwarf lion for a while in that size tank.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your interest in the term "predatory", just trying to get an idea of what you are really interested in. Sometimes using terms like a "predator tank" can be misleading, and even confusing. Most fish are predators, it's what they do in the wild, a true "predator tank" would be one where you are feeding live prey. Certain fish may hold a label as a predator; like lions, anglers, scorpionfish, even triggers. But when you put them in a glass cage and feed them pellets or from a stick, they really aren't predators anymore.

If I'm understand what you are looking for, yes I would agree a Valentini Puffer would work.

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also no fish should just be fed pellets , they need a variety of foods

OP
OP
A

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish similar to freshwater cichlids and similar fish are prefered because I have always kept those type of fish

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish similar to freshwater cichlids and similar fish are prefered because I have always kept those type of fish
Damsels are very similar to cichlids in being brightly colored, territorial, and hardy.

OP
OP
A

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many damsels can I keep in a 29 gallon tank and how should I introduce them like all at once or spread out over time plus how many? I know damsels are reef safe can I keep a damsel only tank with a couple of easier corals?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many damsels can I keep in a 29 gallon tank and how should I introduce them like all at once or spread out over time plus how many? I know damsels are reef safe can I keep a damsel only tank with a couple of easier corals?
If you went with smaller, peaceful species such as kupang, talbots, springeri, and rolland you could probably do 5. Add the all simultaneously. You could definitely do a damsel only tank with easy corals.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A flame hawkfish is one of my favorite aggressive fish for a small tank. They don't have a swim bladder so they are not active swimmers, they perch most of the time.. They are very nice looking and can be sneaky deadly. The problem with aggressive fish in a small tank, is just that, a small tank. Maybe a small puffer, a hawkfish, and damsel or two. the color combo would be awesome; be careful not to over stock. The puffer would likely nip on the corals, some say they are reef safe, i say not. Of the small puffers, I would say the toby leopard or the valentini would be best for your size tank, the blue spotted is a popular small puffer that would likely be too large for your tank.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 143 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back