Predatory Tank

Luke 13y8127

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 30, 2020
Messages
13
Reaction score
1
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could I fit a zebra dwarf lionfish, snowflake eel, valentini puffer, and swallowtail hawkfish with a good clean up crew in a 55 gallon?
 
I mean you could, but its pushing it. You're gonna need some strong filtration.
 
I have 8 fish a dwarf golden morey, a snowflake eel in a 60 with no issues. It's all about export/ what filtering can handle.

Will probably have to re home morey in a few years if he fattens up

IMG_2009.jpg
 
I have 8 fish a dwarf golden morey, a snowflake eel in a 60 with no issues. It's all about export/ what filtering can handle.

Will probably have to re home morey in a few years if he fattens up

IMG_2009.jpg
Cool Tank
 
I would say yes, that sounds like a cool tank. Don't count on much of a cuc, other than maybe an urchin. Lions will eat shrimp, the valentini and hawkfish will eat mostly anything, and the snowflake is a pebble toothed eel whose primary diet is crustaceans. In most cases a cuc is overated and unnecessary, I run many tanks without a cuc. Your filtration could include a refugium/algae reactor or even planting macro algae in the display, and obviously a good skimmer.
 
I would say yes, that sounds like a cool tank. Don't count on much of a cuc, other than maybe an urchin. Lions will eat shrimp, the valentini and hawkfish will eat mostly anything, and the snowflake is a pebble toothed eel whose primary diet is crustaceans. In most cases a cuc is overated and unnecessary, I run many tanks without a cuc. Your filtration could include a refugium/algae reactor or even planting macro algae in the display, and obviously a good skimmer.
I was going to do an urchin, fighting conch, and try my luck with a cheaper snail.
 
I was going to do an urchin, fighting conch, and try my luck with a cheaper snail.

I doubt a conch will make it with those guys. While you may find one individual predator in one tank don;t eat the cuc; nature is nature and I would not count on it. Snails and hermits are cheap and can be benificial for your preds to hunt and snack. Try to sneak them in from time to time so they will last, these guys are very observant and will investigate what ever to put in the tank.
 
Make sure your water keeping habits are good along with a good filtration. If you haven't setup your rockscape (or tank is still cycling), make sure you got little to no dead flow areas and able to fit your water change tube into most of the spots to clean substrate. A store or people of local forums will likely take the eel when it gets bigger, and is a good idea to start associating yourself with locals!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 3 33.3%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new