preliminary questions for ray build/depth impacts on stocking

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So,

Just want to get some questions answered before I make a full on build thread. Filtration will be beefy and will be addressed in eventual build thread.

Tank is 8'x4'x1'. Planning on a breeding pair of California rays and probably some type cat shark.

My main questions are other fish I could add. It'll be open top so no wrasses, has sharks and rays so no triggers or angels.

I really would just like some acanthurus tangs and probably a cephalopholis grouper of sorts. I would absolutely love a vlamingii or another type of naso. My main question:

Would the tank only being a foot deep hinder my fish choices?

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got no advice, but excited for your build thread sounds awesome. I can have my ray tank vicariously through your thread.

OP
OP
D

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got no advice, but excited for your build thread sounds awesome. I can have my ray tank vicariously through your thread.
any fish you'd want to see? i can give you naming rights lol

PBar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I have a similar style tank.
I regret only one thing: my tank is a bit narrow. As a result, it scares the fishes easily if you approach fast.
However, this won’t be an issue for you!

My advice is build the tank with at least 40 cm (1,3 foot, I think…) and keep the water level at 30 cm (1 foot) and the extra 10 cm (0.3) at least for “water” protection spill so you can use strong flow.

In terms of fishes, I’m currently with two yellow tangs and a fox face. No problem at all.
The tank looks huge, with a considerable small water volume.

I used to have, until a couple days ago, also two blue tangs… but unfortunately I had to remove them.
Mostly because they were growing exponentially… and messing everyday with my acroporas.

I don’t know, but yellow tangs are very gentle between the acros… blue tangs…what a mess!

I have the opinion that high tank have a nice look, but you “lose” a lot of water space that fish don’t use that much. Long shallow tanks gives way more swim space with less volume…

Answering your question, I don’t see any immediate issue linked to the height… however, good to remind that I’m with bare-bottom.

Next to that, I’m thinking about Naso… if you are considering to keep a full grow adult, maybe I would go a bit higher just to make sure he is comfortable, particularly if you use sand.

Cheers!

OP
OP
D

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I have a similar style tank.
I regret only one thing: my tank is a bit narrow. As a result, it scares the fishes easily if you approach fast.
However, this won’t be an issue for you!

My advice is build the tank with at least 40 cm (1,3 foot, I think…) and keep the water level at 30 cm (1 foot) and the extra 10 cm (0.3) at least for “water” protection spill so you can use strong flow.

In terms of fishes, I’m currently with two yellow tangs and a fox face. No problem at all.
The tank looks huge, with a considerable small water volume.

I used to have, until a couple days ago, also two blue tangs… but unfortunately I had to remove them.
Mostly because they were growing exponentially… and messing everyday with my acroporas.

I don’t know, but yellow tangs are very gentle between the acros… blue tangs…what a mess!

I have the opinion that high tank have a nice look, but you “lose” a lot of water space that fish don’t use that much. Long shallow tanks gives way more swim space with less volume…

Answering your question, I don’t see any immediate issue linked to the height… however, good to remind that I’m with bare-bottom.

Next to that, I’m thinking about Naso… if you are considering to keep a full grow adult, maybe I would go a bit higher just to make sure he is comfortable, particularly if you use sand.

Cheers!
I wont have any coral and was sorta leaning towards bare bottom so I can just blast water across the tank. Now after your points I'm pretty much sold on it!

PBar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! Good lucky and I’m anxious to see the tank.
Cheers!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 37.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 26.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 8 17.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 8 17.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back