Preliminary Tank Design

scriptmonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy. I am looking to start a new build and I am shooting for something in the 120-150 Gal range. I am shooting for a Mixed reef setup.

So far I sort of know the following:
  • It will have 2 dedicated GFCI circuits.
  • Will be have an Apex controller with dual power strips.
  • Will be capable of AWC.
  • Will have a mixing station.
  • Sump will be a Triton capable. (Leaning trigger Triton 44 v2)
  • Lights will be Orphek atlantik v4
  • Skimmer is a Nyos Quantum 160
I need to do a couple of things like figure how to get a large stand downstairs or build one. The tank I like is ~135 gal 60"x25"x21" which I will need to bring in a half window in my basement which I will need to replace.

So the unknown:
  • Heaters...was thinking Eheim Jager like I currently have...may need to upgrade to larger size. Have 2x 150w now.
  • Fuge light.
  • For AWC not sure it I would use DOS or optical and/or float switches and a pump.)
  • Wave pumps (have 2 Gyre 230's with advanced controller not sure I am going to stick with them), would like them to be controlled by tank controller so that will be phased in I think. We will see.
  • Return pump(s).
So been kicking around ideas for return pumps. I currently run a Current eFlux in my 75 gal and have a Reef Octopus Varios 8 as a backup (Seems bass ackward I know). I bought the Varios knowing eventually I would get a controller and would swap out.

What I would like to do is run 2 pumps for redundancy, one attached to each of the two returns. Was thinking picking up another Varios 8 and making a pair or been reading about the Cor15 and 20 and some of the cool features. So what am I missing, two pumps bad idea, excessive, doomed for failure?

Any constructive feedback would be appreciated.

Tom

Last edited:

SomethingfishyPKNY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy. I am looking to start a new build and I am shooting for something in the 120-150 Gal range. I am shooting for a Mixed reef setup.

• Will be have a controller with a controlled power bar going to each circuit. (Leaning Apex)
  • Two heaters, one to each power strip.
  • Will be capable of AWC. (Not sure it I would use DOS or optical and/or float switches and a pump.)
I need to do a couple of things like figure how to get a large stand downstairs or build one. The tank I like is ~135 gal 60"x25"x21" which I will need to bring in a half window in my basement which I will need to replace.

So the unknown:
  • Skimmer(leaning Nyos Quantum 160)
  • Wave pumps (have 2 Gyre 230's with advanced controller not sure I am going to stick with them), would like them to be controlled by tank controller so that will be phased in I think. We will see.
  • Return pump(s).
So been kicking around ideas for return pumps. I currently run a Current eFlux in my 75 gal and have a Reef Octopus Varios 8 as a backup (Seems bass ackward I know). I bought the Varios knowing eventually I would get a controller and would swap out.

What I would like to do is run 2 pumps for redundancy, one attached to each of the two returns. Was thinking picking up another Varios 8 and making a pair or been reading about the Cor15 and 20 and some of the cool features. So what am I missing, two pumps bad idea, excessive, doomed for failure?

Tom
Sounds great. I have have cor20s and loved them on my tank when the sump was directly under it. Recently we moved it downstairs to our new fish room and was dissatisfied that it couldn't handle the 12' lift. So my only a advise is that

CJS80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good. I was thinking of going Triton when I set up my tank, but since getting Apex and setting up AWC i'm going to use a calcium reactor. I run 2 Varios pumps on my tank, and love them they are quiet. I have a Varios-6 on one return with the UV, and an Varios-8 on the other with manifold. Like SomethingfishyPKNY said all Dc pumps have low head pressure unless you go expensive Abyzz or Royal Exclusive.

SomethingfishyPKNY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good. I was thinking of going Triton when I set up my tank, but since getting Apex and setting up AWC i'm going to use a calcium reactor. I run 2 Varios pumps on my tank, and love them they are quiet. I have a Varios-6 on one return with the UV, and an Varios-8 on the other with manifold. Like SomethingfishyPKNY said all Dc pumps have low head pressure unless you go expensive Abyzz or Royal Exclusive.
I have a varios I picked up on my mixing station and I know what you mean by quiet lol. I have to put my hand on the plumbing to see if it's running. Great pump

OP
OP
scriptmonkey

scriptmonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Way I look at it with a Triton sump is I can always convert it to something else but I cannot take a prefab sump and make it Triton without a struggle. I comprised on my first build, I am not going too on this if it cost a bit more for a Triton and I never use the fudge, so be it. But I will not wonder what if .

Now you have given me more about the Varios, I like quiet. Functions Apex without issue?

CJS80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use the Varios with the Apex through the 0-10v port, I bought the cable but never hooked it up. The box works fine for me, I just check/ have alarm on the Neptune flow meters I have on each line.

OP
OP
scriptmonkey

scriptmonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use the Varios with the Apex through the 0-10v port, I bought the cable but never hooked it up. The box works fine for me, I just check/ have alarm on the Neptune flow meters I have on each line.

Will have to add the cable to my list, forgot all about those.

OP
OP
scriptmonkey

scriptmonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So getting closer. Built a cardboard monstrosity that mocked what I believe would be the stand size,( confirming with the company I am talking too) and was able to get Mount Recyclemore down my crappy stairs. Now to find someone in MD that can disassemble and reassemble my window in my office or can replace it. I could fit it down the stairs but I would have to put it on end and that is a big no no I am told.

SomethingfishyPKNY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

• Will be have a controller with a controlled power bar going to each circuit. (Leaning Apex)
  • Two heaters, one to each power strip.
  • Will be capable of AWC. (Not sure it I would use DOS or optical and/or float switches and a pump.)

So the unknown:
  • Skimmer(leaning Nyos Quantum 160)
  • Return pump(s).

Tom
I had 2 cor 20s on my 525xl love the pumps but don't handle head pressure well at all at least at 10' I was very disappointed. So I just bought the red dragon speedy 3 230watt hp. I'm going to swap them out next week and I'll have both cors for sale if your interested and aren't pumping upstairs from your basement lol

OP
OP
scriptmonkey

scriptmonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had 2 cor 20s on my 525xl love the pumps but don't handle head pressure well at all at least at 10' I was very disappointed. So I just bought the red dragon speedy 3 230watt hp. I'm going to swap them out next week and I'll have both cors for sale if your interested and aren't pumping upstairs from your basement lol
Tempting! Was going to use my Varios 8, but...PM when you have them out and we can talk.

OP
OP
scriptmonkey

scriptmonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So nailed down a few things.
1. Skimmer is set, picked up a Nyos Quantum 160.
2. Picked an APEX so that is going to be fun.

Also solicited quotes for the tank..
Contacted:
  • Crystal Design Aquariums - responded,
  • working on design
  • Coast to Coast - responded
  • Crystal Reef Aquatic - responded working on design.
  • Miracles - responded
  • TankMeUsa- waiting for a response, 15 days to quote responses on submission.
To be completely honest, I feel it is between CDA and CRA at this point.

Also I think to avoid my stair gauntlet I am going to go 80/20 Aluminum type extensions.

Now if I only could get someone on the books for taking a window out and back in or unassembled and reassembling and leaving frame in.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 14 14.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 45 45.0%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 35 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back