Preparing for clownfish breeding

Schteeve

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey guys!
I bought a pair of clownfish who were already paired up together, even got the same hammer coral they were hosting when i picked them up to keep them happy.
when i added them to my tank they seemed happy straight away, and took straight to their hammer as if nothing changed.

just recently, however, i have noticed that underneath the rock that the hammer is sitting on they have moved away the sand and made themselves a little hidey-hole.
are they possibly getting ready to breed? if so what steps should i take to ensure they are successful and the fry don't get washed away and/or eaten?

I realize its almost impossible to save ALL the fry but surely theres some steps i could take to assist

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hey guys!
I bought a pair of clownfish who were already paired up together, even got the same hammer coral they were hosting when i picked them up to keep them happy.
when i added them to my tank they seemed happy straight away, and took straight to their hammer as if nothing changed.

just recently, however, i have noticed that underneath the rock that the hammer is sitting on they have moved away the sand and made themselves a little hidey-hole.
are they possibly getting ready to breed? if so what steps should i take to ensure they are successful and the fry don't get washed away and/or eaten?

I realize its almost impossible to save ALL the fry but surely theres some steps i could take to assist

it is hard to give specifics without knowing more about your tank, but many clownfish breeders have separate breeding tanks so that they can move the eggs to a hatching tank about a day before the eggs hatch. Then you will need to have a plan for food and grow out as well as a plan for what to do with all of the new clowns (if the process gets that far). Even if you can get the eggs/fry out of your display tank that is only a small part of a much bigger journey. One place to start is to do a search for “Pickles Guide to Breeding Clowns”. Good luck with whatever youdecide!

The Aquatic Arsenal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best advice I can you is to read this Pickels guide to breeding clownfish

ztorrico

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a couple breeding clownfish in my display tank... I had to get my hands on a VOSSEN TRAP.... That was the only way I was able to get them out of my display tank. It works really really good! But takes a few weeks to get because they are made to order.

Gunnyreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the Vossen Trap at first but found it much more efficient to set up a specific system to dedicated clownfish breeding. I didn't like watching my cleaner shrimp devour countless larva as they made their way into the trap. He would sit just below the light and snag them as they were entering.

ztorrico

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the Vossen Trap at first but found it much more efficient to set up a specific system to dedicated clownfish breeding. I didn't like watching my cleaner shrimp devour countless larva as they made their way into the trap. He would sit just below the light and snag them as they were entering.

Hahaha!!! That's crazy!! Yeah I would def prefer an isolated system for them but they laid on an immovable rock in my main display so the vossen was my only shot. But ended up working pretty well.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 30 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back