Pressure on False Claim Products

jft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This reef keeping and aquarium industry is Overhyped on MOST products and Gullible and often unsuspecting people have to often find out the Hard way when the products Fail due to Wild exhorbitant Claims. Been Keeping all Aquatic and reef setups since the 1980 s so I have seen more than my share of BS Products. You really need KNOWLEDGE and Not waste of Money Products, IMO.

Reefer Matt

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being technically correct isn't enough. The elements of deceptive advertising include analyzing both whether the statements were deceptive or had the potential to deceive the average consumer.

I don't trust Seachem at all. Their marketing claims are ridiculous and every time one of their products is subject to any sort of scientific test it fails.
Yeah, unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a central organization that represents reefers. The industry is well represented with marketing to sell their products though. But as long as we keep buying the products, they will keep making them.

Last edited:

Nonya

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use their Reef Trace. My corals seem to love it. Of course, that's not proof, just anecdotal.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems that unless every additive/supplement is independently analyzed, how are we to trust they provide even close to what they state?

You could come at the question a different way. Start my assuming no additive is needed to maintain an aquarium. For anything you want to add, no matter the reason, ask “how solid is the evidence that it is needed”. Based on what we know today, this list is fairly short:

Food for the creatures you keep
Minerals for some creatures, e.g., Ca++
Some trace elements

The actual list might be a little longer :)

Nonya

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could come at the question a different way. Start my assuming no additive is needed to maintain an aquarium. For anything you want to add, no matter the reason, ask “how solid is the evidence that it is needed”. Based on what we know today, this list is fairly short:

Food for the creatures you keep
Minerals for some creatures, e.g., Ca++
Some trace elements

The actual list might be a little longer :)
I haven't done water changes in 5 years. I add trace elements, Ca, Alk and Mg according to Randy's recipe regularly and send a water sample in every 6 months to see how I'm doing on the traces.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't done water changes in 5 years. I add trace elements, Ca, Alk and Mg according to Randy's recipe regularly and send a water sample in every 6 months to see how I'm doing on the traces.
Sounds like you haven’t succumbed to the additive temptation.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, Seachem has stooped to a new low in misinformation and ignorance. Here is their response:

Support FD
(Seachem Laboratories)
Dec 6, 2023, 17:41 AST
Hello! Thank you for the email.

The hydroxide blend in Balance will bind up acid sources in the tank, thus raising the pH. It also interacts with the carbonate and converts it to bicarbonate. Ultimately, it does not raise alkalinity, but rather is re-organizing the balance of the existing buffers".

Best regards,
FD
Maybe they use ChatGPT to answer customer questions?

Widdlyscudds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious has anyone actually tested this product? Used it and tested for ph and alkalinity?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious has anyone actually tested this product? Used it and tested for ph and alkalinity?
The point is, if it contains the ingredients it claims to, their claims are chemically impossible.

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seachem response
Fauci GIF by BabylonBee

Widdlyscudds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The point is, if it contains the ingredients it claims to, their claims are chemically impossible.
Yeah I get that, but I'm curious if they suck at making accurate labels or suck at making products. or both. If someone had used this particular product it would be fairly trivial to say what it is or isn't doing regardless of the label on it.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to get too sidetracked, but what was the Prime issue?

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added this detailed accounting of the Aquavitro/Seachem product defense in this thread in the main forum so that a larger audience can appreciate it:

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I do not recall whether I have seen folks report on the use it. I fully expect it has in it what Aquavitro and Brightwell state since those ingredients are quite inexpensive, but I do not know that with any certainty.

They cannot, however, do what they claim. Regardless of anything that might be in the bottle, it cannot do what they claim (raise pH and not alk). No chemical or mix of chemicals in a bottle can do that. The fact that they both tell us what is in it, just makes it easier to prove the impossibility.

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe they use ChatGPT to answer customer questions?

lol

You know, that would not surprise me. Maybe someone with current access to Chat GPT can ask it if hydroxide boosts alkalinity in seawater.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 63 32.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 51 26.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 40 20.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 39 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back