Presumably this is an animal. Whitish blob on live rock.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
IMG_0779.jpg
IMG_0780.jpg

About an inch and a half across, came in on some Gulf live rock in November. It hasn't changed since then, and doesn't visibly respond to light, touch, or food. It's very dense and hard to the touch, enough that it makes a 'thunk' sound if tapped with something, but isn't quite as hard as something like a marble. It seems to be pretty resistant to algae growth, and is smoother than any coral I'm aware of. There's a structure of some sort inside it, though I don't know if that's gill/digestive type filaments or a hard skeleton.
Tunicate? Sponge? Saltwater fungus? I'm really thrown by the lack of any visible vents, holes, or other ways for it to breathe or filter-feed. Planning to look at it tonight after lights out and see if it's changed in the dark- maybe it opens up to breathe at night.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0779.jpg
IMG_0780.jpg

About an inch and a half across, came in on some Gulf live rock in November. It hasn't changed since then, and doesn't visibly respond to light, touch, or food. It's very dense and hard to the touch, enough that it makes a 'thunk' sound if tapped with something, but isn't quite as hard as something like a marble. It seems to be pretty resistant to algae growth, and is smoother than any coral I'm aware of. There's a structure of some sort inside it, though I don't know if that's gill/digestive type filaments or a hard skeleton.
Tunicate? Sponge? Saltwater fungus? I'm really thrown by the lack of any visible vents, holes, or other ways for it to breathe or filter-feed. Planning to look at it tonight after lights out and see if it's changed in the dark- maybe it opens up to breathe at night.
No idea but following!

V A R I A N T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it’s bubble anthelia. It’s gonna pop, release anthelia spores and take over your tank!

I have no idea but am also intrigued!

TnFishwater98

Drink more fishwater there! And I still want more!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got a big one. Figured it was a sponge . I’ll get a pic
* Lights aren’t bright enough yet

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tired

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There are an enormous number of species of tunicate/sea squirt, in an absurd number of shapes and sizes. Some are solitary, some are colonial. I have probably half a dozen different shapes of them on this rock. One thing that they consistently have in common is easily visible intake/outtake tubes, and they'll also generally react to touch by scrunching up.

Chicken liver sponge looks fairly similar, particularly in texture. "Odd, hard sponge in this general group of sponges" seems like a reasonable ID for now.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure. Possibly a Galeommatid (family Galeommatidae; "Naked") clam? Some of them (like Chlamydoconcha orcutti) look relatively similar to this when retracted - and that would explain the hard texture - but typically (from what I've seen) they also have one visible "tube"/hole sticking out.

TnFishwater98

Drink more fishwater there! And I still want more!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is one that came on some Gulf Live Rock about 3 years ago. It wasn’t this big when I first got the LR. Didn’t even notice it. One day just looked under the LR and saw this white blob. It’s doesn’t get alot of light. Im still thinking Chicken Liver Sponge. But not 100%. There are way more knowledgeable reefers on here that could verify.
FCB527D5-0189-48AF-A55C-5215B9C4EA1E.jpeg
B35632B7-5C1B-401D-B02C-71CF170F75CE.jpeg
99EE5ACA-DCA0-4C4E-B674-3A6E6DAE3212.jpeg
C28FD265-D12E-4DA8-A316-C15D21AA191C.jpeg

OP
OP
Tired

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm not sure. Possibly a Galeommatid (family Galeommatidae; "Naked") clam? Some of them (like Chlamydoconcha orcutti) look relatively similar to this when retracted - and that would explain the hard texture - but typically (from what I've seen) they also have one visible "tube"/hole sticking out.
Too non-reactive and tubeless to be one of these, but what a cool animal.

Looks like "sea pork" to me. Which is an ascidian (tunicates and sea squirts). They come in many colors also.

If you Google Image search: "Florida sea pork" You'll see a few that look like it.

Edit to add: https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/what-is-sea-pork-blob.amp
I've seen this article, and there are definitely some similarities. The article doesn't mention density, though, and I imagine a lot of those blobs would look different in the water. Tunicate was my first thought for this, but tunicates generally seem to have some sort of visible breathing tube.

Here is one that came on some Gulf Live Rock about 3 years ago. It wasn’t this big when I first got the LR. Didn’t even notice it. One day just looked under the LR and saw this white blob. It’s doesn’t get alot of light. Im still thinking Chicken Liver Sponge. But not 100%. There are way more knowledgeable reefers on here that could verify.
What does it feel like if you tap it? Definitely looks like roughly the same thing, and I've settled on "something like a chicken liver sponge" as an ID for my own particular lump.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back