Pretty bad bacterial bloom after adding first fish

pfcreed

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think I added some stuff to fast. So i set the tank up at the end of September. I saw my cycle through and did a 50 percent water change. Total water volume of the tank is 56 gallon. Everything was still good to go. I added a small clean up crew for some green hair algae outbreak. I added 10 blue leg crabs. 12 snails and 2 scarlet crabs. I waited a week and everything was still stable. I added 2 clowns and a lawn mower blenny (this was yesterday) The same day I got them I fed them. This morning good lord the tank was pretty cloudy. I turned on the lights and the cloudiness got worse doubly so. I'm running an aq70 for filtration so i removed the sponges and put them inside of a small breeder box in the tank. I added carbon to a filter bag and put that in the filter. I also added an air stone in case of oxygen deprivation. I've noticed that the clowns were swimming frantically but have calmed down alot after adding the air stone. I tested the water and I have less then .25 ppm ammonia using an api test kit. I turned off my power heads. Any advise on what I can do next.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bacterial bloom may or may not have anything to do with the fish.

A UV or large WCs may clear up the bloom. I would shut lights off, until cleared up.

Trace amounts of ammonia are still toxic to fish if they are exposed to it for any length of time.

Tank may not have been completely cycled if you are registering ammonia.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Feed lightly and for the first at least 8 weeks do small water changes weekly. Clean up crew- go with at least 3 turbo snails, 2 nassarius, 2 astrea , 2 margarita and a sand sifting to start with. Your needs may increase based on your tank load.
STEP UP ON FILTRATION. Assuming your tank is not reef ready, seek this site or any for a hang on back fuge./filter which allows you to filter/ skim and polish water all in one.
Brands would be: Reef Octopus HOB, CPR Back pack and similar.

OP
OP
P

pfcreed

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The water cleared up alot I turned off the air stone and I fed very little. I have a old hob overflow I'm cleaning out right now. And a mag 9 so I'll probably end up adding a sump. Only reason I didnt before was because how loud the overflow was and its prone to failing as they all are. I'll see how it looks in the morning.

Joe Batt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae blooms are part of a new tank, the uglies as its called sometimes. It may not not be the last, but it sounds like you were doing the right things. It will all calm down after around 6 months when all the natural bacteria in the tank reach a balance with each other.

OP
OP
P

pfcreed

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things are still a little cloudy but everyone is doing fine. My lawnmower blenny is munching down the hair algae. I dusted off an old overflow and soaked it in some vinegar water and I tossed my skimmer in n there. So i gotta figure that all out now.

Joe Batt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a horrible algae bloom on my current tank when I started it. It looked like pea soup and lasted around 3 weeks!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back