Pretty sure one or more of my fish has parasites.

greetl01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know 1 of my clownfish most likely has it bc I saw white poop falling out his butt. I keep seeing stringy poop floating around and I'm not for certain it's all from him. I haven't seen much other proof that it's parasites. He is eating well, and I haven't seen scratching, but he has been lounging in the substrate. Not even sure if that's an indication though bc he's been doing it a while and he perks up when I walk past or feed the tank. What really makes me think he is sick tho is, and hear me out, the other fish seem concerned. I know that sounds dumb, but they are hovering over him in a way that they don't normally do, and they only do it when he's laying in the sand like that.

My question is, can I fight parasites with diet, or will they remain as long as I don't medicate? I am attempting a "immunity tank," but I will medicate if I must. Also, can I treat in my display tank? I have dry rock and one Emerald crab. I'm not very fond of the crab so I have no problem returning him to the LFS if that will allow me to medicate in the display if the sand and rock won't be an issue. I bought some prazipro, and I thought I read that that is okay to use in the display tank . I'm just really trying to avoid a quarantine tank bc I have such a small tank. Im at capacity with livestock. All my fish were $30 or less and buying a QT for 4 cheap fish when I don't plan on getting more blows.

Last edited:

MetaKnight101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing that greatly concerns me is not behavior but stringy white poop. Clownfish have strange behavior even my clowns like to stay near the sand a lot. However, the stringy white poop could be a sign of internal parasites. This could be treated with "prazipro" (you can buy this cheaply at amazon or Petco or your LFS) which is safe for use in the display tank, just make sure you keep it oxygenated since this particular medication is good at reducing oxygen levels. (So make sure you have a flow head that can break the surface of the water).

Obviously, some pictures would also be nice to confirm his condition. Since he is eating and not scratching he appears to be fine but pictures would be nice.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know 1 of my clownfish most likely has it bc I saw white poop falling out his butt. I keep seeing stringy poop floating around and I'm not for certain it's all from him. I haven't seen much other proof that it's parasites. He is eating well, and I haven't seen scratching, but he has been lounging in the substrate. Not even sure if that's an indication though bc he's been doing it a while and he perks up when I walk past or feed the tank. What really makes me think he is sick tho is, and hear me out, the other fish seem concerned. I know that sounds dumb, but they are hovering over him in a way that they don't normally do, and they only do it when he's laying in the sand like that.

My question is, can I fight parasites with diet, or will they remain as long as I don't medicate? I am attempting a "immunity tank," but I will medicate if I must. Also, can I treat in my display tank? I have dry rock and one Emerald crab. I'm not very fond of the crab so I have no problem returning him to the LFS if that will allow me to medicate in the display if the sand and rock won't be an issue. I bought some prazipro, and I thought I read that that is okay to use in the display tank . I'm just really trying to avoid a quarantine tank bc I have such a small tank. Im at capacity with livestock. All my fish were $30 or less and buying a QT for 4 cheap fish when I don't plan on getting more blows.

White mucus feces is generally bacterial, protozoan or dietary issues, metazoans (worms) usually do not product white feces like that. If you can move the crab (or maybe not even need to move it?) you could consider dosing the tank with General Cure. It is praziquantel and metronidazole. The metronidazole will help with protozoans. Bacterial issues would need antibiotics, but try the metro first. I doubt it is a dietary issue as only one clown in the tank is showing symptoms, and I would present they are all getting the same diet.

Here is an article that has a bit about feces in it: https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/mucus-the-slime-that-binds.793/

Jay

OP
OP
greetl01

greetl01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing that greatly concerns me is not behavior but stringy white poop. Clownfish have strange behavior even my clowns like to stay near the sand a lot. However, the stringy white poop could be a sign of internal parasites. This could be treated with "prazipro" (you can buy this cheaply at amazon or Petco or your LFS) which is safe for use in the display tank, just make sure you keep it oxygenated since this particular medication is good at reducing oxygen levels. (So make sure you have a flow head that can break the surface of the water).

Obviously, some pictures would also be nice to confirm his condition. Since he is eating and not scratching he appears to be fine but pictures would be nice.

White mucus feces is generally bacterial, protozoan or dietary issues, metazoans (worms) usually do not product white feces like that. If you can move the crab (or maybe not even need to move it?) you could consider dosing the tank with General Cure. It is praziquantel and metronidazole. The metronidazole will help with protozoans. Bacterial issues would need antibiotics, but try the metro first. I doubt it is a dietary issue as only one clown in the tank is showing symptoms, and I would present they are all getting the same diet.

Here is an article that has a bit about feces in it: https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/mucus-the-slime-that-binds.793/

Jay
thanks guys! 1 thing tho. i actually had some prozipro i bought last week and dosed it. how long should I wait before trying the General Cure?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks guys! 1 thing tho. i actually had some prozipro i bought last week and dosed it. how long should I wait before trying the General Cure?
Prazi breaks down very fast in aquariums, you can dose GC after perhaps three days.
Jay

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 77 44.8%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 45.9%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.3%
Back