Preventing disaster

rynosaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need some help everyone. I have a small 20 gallon reef with only two fish. Clown and watchman goby. I introduced a sick fish unknowingly and seem to have infected the tank. The new fish died and now my clown has passed :( ! I’m more angry than anything that I made the mistake, so I don’t want to make it again.

My question, how can I keep my goby in this tank until I get my larger 150gallon setup, and be able to transfer everything to the big tank without transferring the disease?

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the losses [emoji20]
Have any photos of the fish that passed? Or description of the symptoms of the illness that happened? Different diseases will have different protocols how to treat the fish and how to keep the tank rock etc free of it.

OP
OP
rynosaurus

rynosaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_4344.JPG

This is the purple tang I bought that started it all. He started whit whit spots all over and would just stay in the corner and do nothing.
My clown however I don’t have a pic of but when sick he just looked very cloudy his entire body covered in a haziness even his eyes. I did not take a pic of him after he passed.

Gareth elliott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like velvet. By the speed

OP
OP
rynosaurus

rynosaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve read through the majority of those posts and what I can gather it most likely was velvet! They both died within a day of the first signs. It also seems that copper is a good way to get rid of it. So hopefully my lfs has some and I’ll start treating the tank. But will the copper effect my coral?

Thank you all for the help.

OP
OP
rynosaurus

rynosaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve read through the majority of those posts and what I can gather it most likely was velvet! They both died within a day of the first signs. It also seems that copper is a good way to get rid of it. So hopefully my lfs has some and I’ll start treating the tank. But will the copper effect my coral?

Gareth elliott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Corals will not survive copper.

You will have to separate your inverts and rock from fish.

And setting up a quarantine tank for the fish this could be as simple as a 5-10 gallon aquarium for a single fish the size as yours.

https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/how-to-quarantine.232/

OP
OP
rynosaurus

rynosaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how can I treat the entire tank to ensure this stuff is ok to put in my big tank when it’s ready? Or is it just beaver gonna be safe?

Gareth elliott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By having no fish in the tank for 76 days any parasites that are the tank will starve to
Death.

OP
OP
rynosaurus

rynosaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok not to ask stupid questions but does no fish include crabs or snails or anything living?? Or literally just no fish?

Gareth elliott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok not to ask stupid questions but does no fish include crabs or snails or anything living?? Or literally just no fish?

Just no fish, velvet requires a fish host to complete its life cycle. They cant feed in any inverts :)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 127 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back