Prices

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is one of my biggest issues I have with the hobby as well. I get the retailer's that have business expenses such as overhead, utilities, etc. However, when I see people selling tiny nubs for the same price if not more than what they were purchased for makes me sick. It's going to kill the hobby because only some will be able to afford it.

I have locals around me that cut giant frags of popular corals like fox flame, WD, etc for $20 and I have some that sell 1/2" nubs for $200. It drives me crazy as a hobbyist. I am in it because I truly enjoy growing corals and I want to share that with people. For some it seems that this is a get rich scheme and it's not helping the hobby because newer hobbyist think this is how it should be.

Just to show what I mean. It's a bad picture but I am taking all of these corals up to my LFS and trading them in for store credit at $5 a piece. I know they are not the latested and greatest "rooty tootie fresh and fruity" piece but some of these could easily sell for $40 a piece.

20200706_222908.jpg

Again, this isnt a jab at the retailers. This is for the hobbyist. I have tons of $200+ pieces in my tank and I will sell them for $20 or less when it comes time to frag.

OP
OP
Weevo

Weevo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly what I'm saying. I know they pay the top price tag on a high end coral but just to frag it and try to sell it at the same price they bought it for. Your growing corals out of your basement or living room. Your dont need to charge full price. BS

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used this same example before. It is like someone who is into Golf. I used to be heavy into it and I know just how EXPENSIVE it can be. I had a full set of Cleveland clubs that cost $2000. I used that set for about 2 years. Then when I sold it I got about $500 for it. I was fine with that because I paid $2000 not for an investment but to enjoy my hobby more. I knew that I wasn't going to get $2000 for it when sold.

What people are doing now is like if I took that $2000 set and sold off each club(frag) for $300 and made more than what I paid for it. I would never be able to do that but if I could then it Just wouldn't feel right to do.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also dislike hobbyists selling at retail prices. It doesn't make too much sense. But I will say frags tend to be larger than the typical vendor frag these days which are getting to be about as small as you can get and still have a viable coral.

Wildreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well everyone is pretending to be a store and act like it’s a business all from their basement. No different than the guys on Craigslist or Facebook who import fish to their house and sell them as if they are a legit store, thus undercutting the brick and mortars .

Amado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The way I look at it if the market supports the price then get as much as you can. If your competition is a 16yr growing frags in a garage you need to re-think your business plan.
Jason fox who a lot of people get their frags from is a guy
Selling out of his basement. Lol
The golf club analogy doesn’t work because golf clubs don’t grow and replicate. So if you had a set of golf clubs for
2k and you took one club and sold it for $300
And I was able to grow that club into multiple
2k clubs then it would be the same as buying a frag
Growing it out and getting money for each frag.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
nice thread @sp1187 !..i'm outta here :cool:
giphy.gif

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One lfs has all types of prices. $10 on up.
They will go with whatever the higher end corals go for online.
Locals will give away regulars and higher priced ones are half or less of some sellers.
Some of my best frags have been free or <$20.
I try to pass on free frags now that my tank needs trimming.

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The way I look at it if the market supports the price then get as much as you can. If your competition is a 16yr growing frags in a garage you need to re-think your business plan.
Jason fox who a lot of people get their frags from is a guy
Selling out of his basement. Lol
The golf club analogy doesn’t work because golf clubs don’t grow and replicate. So if you had a set of golf clubs for
2k and you took one club and sold it for $300
And I was able to grow that club into multiple
2k clubs then it would be the same as buying a frag
Growing it out and getting money for each frag.

Some just don't get it. If I spend $200 on a frag then it is because I like it and want to grow it out and enjoy it. I dont buy that frag with the intention of making a profit. This mentality of get what you can get for it is doing HARM to this hobby.

If I buy that frag at $200 then in a year when it is ready to frag then I will frag 10 smaller frags and sell them for $20. Now that frag paid for itself and I got to enjoy it while letting others enjoy it as well.

Jason Fox is not a good example. Have you seen his basement? Lol. It is bigger than most of the brick and mortar grow outs. He has a ton of expense. Also, I don't agree with his prices as well lol. But I get it on his end. I also know of a couple people on this forum who are setup the same way as Jason Fox and sell pieces at outstanding prices. I have purchased tons from them.

Again, this is to the average person who has a little frag tank and buys these corals to grow them out and label all of them as "FIRE" and sells them for $300 a piece.

This hobby is going to crash with this mentality. Trust me. I have a feeling that a worldwide ban on coral import is coming and when that day comes it is not going to be good for this hobby.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back