Prime 16HD flickering

Jackmot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey!
So, It's been a chaotic week for me and to top it off today I found the UV channel of my AI Prime 16HD to be flickering (A LOT) especially when at 8%. No other channel have this malfunction.

Has anyone experienced something similar to this? I'm very disappointed since the Prime 16HD is only 6 months old, has never been overheated and no channel has been setted to more than 55% ever

DeniableArc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
H
Hey!
So, It's been a chaotic week for me and to top it off today I found the UV channel of my AI Prime 16HD to be flickering (A LOT) especially when at 8%. No other channel have this malfunction.

Has anyone experienced something similar to this? I'm very disappointed since the Prime 16HD is only 6 months old, has never been overheated and no channel has been setted to more than 55% ever
Hi, if you look at the lens is there a pin hole burnt through on the uv or violet leds?

OP
OP
J

Jackmot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't really say since the new lens version is very small but everything looks brand new :(

OP
OP
J

Jackmot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the crappy pic, it's the best I can do for now, if you want I can send another one tomorrow morning with better lighting

Attachments

• IMG_20210805_010754.jpg
    IMG_20210805_010754.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 106

DeniableArc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the crappy pic, it's the best I can do for now, if you want I can send another one tomorrow morning with better lighting
Ok sorry I can’t help much further. The prime 16 has a tendency to overheat on the uv and violet channels causing the lens to melt, it has happened to two of my lights. I think your problem may be complicated is the light still under warranty?

OP
OP
J

Jackmot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's supposed to be haha. I'll call them first thing in the morning but even if they do make my warranty valid it's a long way from Mexico to their HQ and a long time for my corals without light. Hopefully they can help me. Thanks anyway!!
Have you ever opened a Prime 16HD? Out of curiosity

DeniableArc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's supposed to be haha. I'll call them first thing in the morning but even if they do make my warranty valid it's a long way from Mexico to their HQ and a long time for my corals without light. Hopefully they can help me. Thanks anyway!!
Have you ever opened a Prime 16HD? Out of curiosity
Yes I have,to replace a fan it’s not very difficult to open and there are tutorials on YouTube on how to replace lens and led cluster but once you open you break the seal and void all warranty. Good luck !

OP
OP
J

Jackmot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I have,to replace a fan it’s not very difficult to open and there are tutorials on YouTube on how to replace lens and led cluster but once you open you break the seal and void all warranty. Good luck !
That's the exact reason I haven't opened mine haha.
I did talked today to AI Support and though they weren't very understanding at first, we did came up with a solution where they would replace my light and then I would send them the faulty light. The main problem here was that THEY ARE NOT ABLE TO SEND THE REPLACEMENT LIGHT ANYWHERE OUTSIDE THE US (EVEN IF YOU OFFER TO PAY TAXES AND SHIPPING).
Idk if this any useful information for international AI en users

Do you happened to have any pics of it opened? I've been looking around the forums for inside pics of the Prime 16HD but haven't found any.

PS: To top of my horrible week I just found 1 of my 2 Turbos dead. Luckily I got him out before any ammonia spike

DeniableArc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's the exact reason I haven't opened mine haha.
I did talked today to AI Support and though they weren't very understanding at first, we did came up with a solution where they would replace my light and then I would send them the faulty light. The main problem here was that THEY ARE NOT ABLE TO SEND THE REPLACEMENT LIGHT ANYWHERE OUTSIDE THE US (EVEN IF YOU OFFER TO PAY TAXES AND SHIPPING).
Idk if this any useful information for international AI en users

Do you happened to have any pics of it opened? I've been looking around the forums for inside pics of the Prime 16HD but haven't found any.

PS: To top of my horrible week I just found 1 of my 2 Turbos dead. Luckily I got him out before any ammonia spike
I don’t have a prime 16 but here’s my prime HD it’s basically the same from what I remember. There will be 3 torx head screws to take lens out then two connectors. If you take led cluster out you will have to replace thermal paste
12B38E89-8637-4B30-8C54-FA5093901333.jpeg

OP
OP
J

Jackmot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, thanks!!
I'll try to find those drivers online. Hopefully both models share the same ones.
:)

DeniableArc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, thanks!!
I'll try to find those drivers online. Hopefully both models share the same ones.
:)
From what I remember the case heat sink and board are the same the fan and diffuser Are different if you just make sure the led cluster is for prime 16 correct. These is a chance the led,s could be fine and the drivers are faulty. I’m sure someone with more experience here can chime in.

OP
OP
J

Jackmot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I remember the case heat sink and board are the same the fan and diffuser Are different if you just make sure the led cluster is for prime 16 correct. These is a chance the led,s could be fine and the drivers are faulty. I’m sure someone with more experience here can chime in.
Yeah, im pretty sure the UV driver is the problem because if I crank up the power to the UV the problem dissapears. Im guessing it works with PWM so I would need to change that.

Rohirrimus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you solved the problem? I have the same issue
Yeah, im pretty sure the UV driver is the problem because if I crank up the power to the UV the problem dissapears. Im guessing it works with PWM so I would need to change that.

Back