Primo Deco Live Rock Question

Dragon174

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone every had experience with liverockreef.com?

They have this live rock that looks really awesome and is cheaper and better looking than anything I have ever seen at the store.

My only worry is about hitchhikers.

dreamcatcherr9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems legit. Shipping not included. And a box fee.

SHIPPING IS NOT INCLUDED! we will contact you with the best overnight shipping method, usually air cargo to the closest major airport will be the cheapest and fastest, however we also ship Fedex overnight also, we only ship overnight because of the amount of live corals and plant life on this live rock.

MINIMUM 15 POUND ORDER

NOTE: Box and packing of $15 per 40 lbs is also factored into the price.

OP
OP
Dragon174

Dragon174

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With that much life on the rock, how or would you dip in something like coral rx to get anything like bristle worms and other nasty hitchhikers off the rock?

dreamcatcherr9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope someone with more experience can chime in, but IMO:

It’s been a decade since I bought live rock. Back then, standard procedure was to let sit in a bucket with saltwater, heater and pump for circulation for at least a month!

I guess you could dump a butt load of Coral RX in a bucket, but seems expensive and maybe not needed.

Now a days, most people (including myself) go dry rock, add Dr Tim’s or Something like that and wait for it to turn live eventually. With “live sand” and bottled bacteria it cycles quick (relatively) and rock is rock at that point.

When I started 20 year’s ago, it was 2-4 lbs per gallon of live rock “needed”. Now it’s whatever you want and “recommend”.

Question: is this for new tank or established tank? That makes a difference. What’s your game plan?

OP
OP
Dragon174

Dragon174

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just re-started my tank (120 gallon). I have dry rock in the tank and have uses bio sphere and live sand. Was going to add a couple of pieces of live rock from my LFS but thought that this might be a better way to go.

dreamcatcherr9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you adding more rock for aesthetics? Or to build up the bio load capability? Any live stock or empty tank?

Disclaimer; I know nothing! LOL.

Seriously I am no expert, take all opinions (that’s what they are, opinions) into consideration and make your own decision (that’s good advise for most things in life).

If it was me;

No fish = live rock ok (but maybe cycle in bucket for a week or two alone for die off, then add to tank).

Fish = no live rock. If I want more (for aesthetics), safer to go with dry.

If I was after increased bio load, I’d add more Dr Tims or equivalent when I added more fish.

I think what you have is sufficient. But at the end of the day, you will do what makes you happy. It’s a journey, enjoy it.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my live rock from gulfliverock its basically the same stuff, same divers etc.

This rock comes full of life. Clams, Filter feeders, mushrooms, rock flower nems. You name it it has it. Best rock out there in my opinion.
Expect some bad hitchhikers as well just comes with territory.
In this heat you are going to want to be waiting at airport for it to arrive. Do NOT let it sit out of water for any extended amount of time. As said it comes covered in coral and life.
Have a brute can ready with salt water, plenty of aeration for immediate placement in water.
I'd suggest a quick RODI dip and scrub to die off and any unwanted critters out.
Expect die off. This rock cannot go directly in your DT. But depending on how quick you can get the die off cycled it should be ready to go within a week or 2.
Just remove the die off. Let it cycle and you should be good to go.

OP
OP
Dragon174

Dragon174

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me it would be for extra bio diversity, increased filtration, and look of a live reef.
Hitch hikers are my biggest concern.
On both of these pictures from two different sites there are what looks like some kind of green algae (looks like clover). Is this stuff good or bad?
20F3A632-6525-4D1C-BD2C-8D9FF2279A15.png

E9CF4FCC-FA78-447D-8A7C-36895DD08631.png

Picking it up from the airport isn’t a problem. I have a two large brute trash cans that can be used as suggested to put the rocks in for a week or two before going into the DT.
I just don’t want to be dealing with bad crabs, bristle worms and the sorts.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me it would be for extra bio diversity, increased filtration, and look of a live reef.
Hitch hikers are my biggest concern.
On both of these pictures from two different sites there are what looks like some kind of green algae (looks like clover). Is this stuff good or bad?
20F3A632-6525-4D1C-BD2C-8D9FF2279A15.png

E9CF4FCC-FA78-447D-8A7C-36895DD08631.png

Picking it up from the airport isn’t a problem. I have a two large brute trash cans that can be used as suggested to put the rocks in for a week or two before going into the DT.
I just don’t want to be dealing with bad crabs, bristle worms and the sorts.
This is the same exact rock just different sites....
And yeah I forgot about all the sea plant and algae comes on it. All kinds but I haven't found any kind of invasive nuisance algae.

In fact it's the only thing in my system nuisance algae wont grow on.

Expect bad hitchhikers. Most die during shipping however some do make it.
I suggest 15 minute dip in RODI a few times thruought the cycle process.

If you can quarantine the rock and look for any others that would also be suggested before placing in your DT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about dipping the rocks in coral RX in between the process of sitting in saltwater for a week or two and a fresh RO/DI dip or two

Honestly with all the inverts and bivalves that came on my rock I wouldnt even have attempted that as the chance of losing everything else would have been to great.

Your main concern is going to be bristle worms (if your concerned with them), crabs, aiptasia etc. I've had aiptasia and crabs make it through scrubs and bayer dips from frag plugs and rock.
It's crazy what a freshwater dip can achieve.
I just pulled a few rocks out of my sump to break them up for rock scrape gave them a 15 minute RODI dip and found a nasty crab and bristle worm as well as a mature adult bergia nudibranch in the bottom of the bucket.

If you can set rock up in QT tank to observe to make sure you got everything before putting in your DT this would probably be your best option.

150 Gallon Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the Walt Smith liverock from liverocknreef and I love the stuff. I paid about 350 shipped for a 50 lb box. No pests, good color. They make the rock, then put it in the ocean for a year or two to develop bacteria growth.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the Walt Smith liverock from liverocknreef and I love the stuff. I paid about 350 shipped for a 50 lb box. No pests, good color. They make the rock, then put it in the ocean for a year or two to develop bacteria growth.
My Walt Smith ended up going straight to sump. Totally devoid of life- No fault there that's how it has to be shipped from Fiji.
Did have ok coraline color but super dense and highly over priced especially with shipping.
I'd go with the gulfliverock non primo before I ever ordered the Walt Smith again.
If you check out gulfliverock.com they had some pretty sweet deals on the primo rock if you bought in bulk when I bought it.

burgundy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about dipping the rocks in coral RX in between the process of sitting in saltwater for a week or two and a fresh RO/DI dip or two
I have not bought live rock yet, but personally I would quarantine it not dip. you're buying the live rock for its diverse life and microfauna which increase your biodiversity. my plan is to put my live rock into a separate tank and watch it for unwanted creatures, kinda thought about putting an arrow crab or wrasse with the rock to sort out the bristle worms. and yes true bristle worms aren't bad but receiving rock from the ocean doesn't come with a manual explaining every life form on said rocks.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back