Prior paint stripper in 55 gallon drums still be safe

Colten

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found a great deal on some 55 gallon drums but the guy said paint stripper was in them. He said he's sold them to fish guys before and they cleaned it out with bleach and all was good. Is this true? Isn't bleach just as bad?

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most paint strippers are based on chlorides and hydroxides, but some are petroleum based. Those large blue tanks are made of polyethylene. Most likely HDPE. Shouldn't have absorbed anything if the stripper was chloride/hydroxide based, but if petroleum based, I'd pass.

You must find out what was in it specifically, like msds wise before buying.

Best bet is to buy a water specific storage container, like a Ace Roto mold container new. Then you know your safe. IMHO.

OP
OP
Colten

Colten

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info, I'll ask the seller if he knows what was used, he's selling them for $10 a piece so it's hard to pass up, unless it kills all my fish

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info, I'll ask the seller if he knows what was used, he's selling them for $10 a piece so it's hard to pass up, unless it kills all my fish

I had opportunities in the past like yours for blue 55 containers, just couldn't take the risk, so I went with new polyethylene tanks. Just felt better knowing it was new and safe.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plus in most locales you can find people selling food-grade without too much problem. Olives, oil – all sorts of food and food-grade products – come in these things. You can even mail order them by the six-pack and re-sell them for a reasonable amount.

Use the questionable ones to make rain barrels to water your yard or something else. :)

Try googling "olive barrels" to see what I mean. I think pickle barrels are the same. I love these kind since they have large twist-on, sealable lids. Something like a Mason Jar lid. From my test google search, someone on eBay appears to be selling them for $35.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(Food grade will still take some cleaning. And it may just require time for the vinegar smell to go away. But you have little to worry about even if there is "contamination".)

Back