problem controling a nicrew 50W lamp

  • Thread starter Thread starter Sral
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
The 400pF limit on I2C is generally fairly lenient. Its not a fast bus my any means, but thats why DDC over longer cables usually ends up with a more powerful driver to overcome the rise time issue. And VGA and HDMI cables where the link is used are shielded.

Longer runs? Just use RS485.
 
The 400pF limit on I2C is generally fairly lenient. Its not a fast bus my any means, but thats why DDC over longer cables usually ends up with a more powerful driver to overcome the rise time issue. And VGA and HDMI cables where the link is used are shielded.

Longer runs? Just use RS485.
Yeah but if drivers are being used then wouldn't that mean it's no longer what it was designed for? Those all came after. I can find a driver claiming 100 feet but that certainly wasn't the original intent. You're statement for 1 - 2 meters being ok I think is misleading if you meant with a driver. I know people and personally have experienced issues with just 1 meter of cable, it's not a good idea in my opinion.
 
Yeah but if drivers are being used then wouldn't that mean it's no longer what it was designed for? Those all came after. I can find a driver claiming 100 feet but that certainly wasn't the original intent. You're statement for 1 - 2 meters being ok I think is misleading if you meant with a driver. I know people and personally have experienced issues with just 1 meter of cable, it's not a good idea in my opinion.

Its kinda being pedantic, but its still electrically the same bus. Similar effect with increasing pull-up strength. Again, its a niche application, and all of the usages are shielded and at slow speed (100kHz). YMMV, and I agree its hard to recommend running it off board :)
 
Well, scaling down the frequency to 10kHz due to the pH circuit likely makes the I2C pretty forgiving, so I believe this shortening of tracks and avoidance of „Y“ shaped splits might be unnecessary.
Doesn’t hurt though, if you still have enough space for everything else ^^
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 22 19.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 35 31.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 8.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 8.1%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 16 14.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 8 7.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new