Robo-Tank 3.0 for reef-pi

What form factor do you prefer for a controller?

• All-in-one

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • Modular

Votes: 7 58.3%

• Total voters

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So some might wonder what the heck happened to the 2.0 I just released, I know hey... First sorry to anyone who feels wronged if they got 2.0, the hardest part doing this is updates even though I'm excited about them I know not everyone is but it needs to happen for the long term. v1 and v2 controller will continue to be compatible with any new extensions I come out with.

I did like the v2 boards however I hated assembling them and there was no way it was going to work long term so I started designing this one. On my bench tests it works just as good or slightly better than v2. I basically split everything into 3 pieces as I can get a lot more factory assembled. Personally I prefer an all-in-one board which is why I screwed up on 2.0 but overall it makes more sense to have module based system. The last few weeks as I've been migrating and selling these I've been telling customers and the large majority prefer the modules so that was a nice surprise and hopefully the general thought. Let me know what you think is better in the polls, all-in-one or modular controller?

This does keeps costs down vs one large controller board and this is and always will be the main goal. It also adds extra isolation on the DC ports which keeps noise spikes down on the main controller and sensor extension. With the modular design it's cheaper for users to get involved and the system is more tailored to their needs and going forward I have plans for other extensions so having these 3 extra port plugs will be useful.

Here is the main controller, it still has 41 ports however 20 ports have been moved to three RJ45 ethernet sockets which the extensions plug into or a person can branch out how they like. If a person uses the wrong RJ45 for an extension no damage will occur, it just won't work.
  • Fully isolated pH circuit on-board
  • Two independent DS18B20 1-wire sensor ports
  • Automatic fish feeder port
  • 5v I2C Port for expanders and other devices
  • 2 hardware-based backup float switch ports for AC Power Bar 1, Outlet 1 and 2.
  • 12-bit PWM signals
  • Real Time Clock with CR1220 battery backup
  • Internal 12v/24v speed controllable cooling fan port
  • Efficient 5v regulator system to power Pi protected with resettable fuse
  • 12v - 24v DC input with short circuit protection and efficient reverse polarity protection
main_controller_labelled.jpg

These are the ports through the accessory plugs.
  • AC Power Bar 1 DB9 Plug - 8 GPIO I/O's + Ground + optional 5v or 12v
  • AC Power Bar 2 DB9 Plug - 8 GPIO I/O's + Ground + optional 5v or 12v
  • Sensor Extension RJ45 Plug - 6 GPIO Inputs / Outputs + Ground + 5v
  • Equipment Extension RJ45 Plug - 7 Outputs - 0-5v PWM Signals + Ground
  • Equipment Extension RJ45 Plug - 7 Outputs - 0-5v PWM Signals + Ground

CAM02835-optimized.jpg
CAM02933-optimized2.jpg

The next piece is the deluxe sensor extension. It has 6 ports, each ports has 3 plugs that can be used. There's a jumper for each port that you set to the plug type you want, it's only possible to set one plug active at any given time. I did this to keep it as plug and play as possible, it works with optical sensors, non-contact sensors, DS18B20 temperature sensors and other Arduino style water sensors. Flow meters are also possible but it's advanced as it requires some coding related setup. When you connect a DS18B20 sensor you need to add the corresponding GPIO to the /boot/config.txt file as it'll run as a separate 1-wire bus. With this extension and main controller you can run eight 1-wire buses.

The green universal screw terminal sockets have a jumper above them to set it to use a pullup or pulldown resistor so its compatible with more sensor types.

You can use this as is without the main controller, simply connect it to 6 GPIO's on the Pi along with +5v and Ground and your set. You can run as many as these as GPIO pins you have available. The RJ45 input socket has LEDs built in which light up when power is connected.

v3-Sensor-Module.jpg

CAM03001-optimized2.jpg
CAM02997-optimized.jpg
CAM03068-optimized.jpg

The 3rd piece I'm calling the equipment extension. This has six speed controllable 12v-24v DC ports good for 4 amps each, 50w @ 12v or 100w @ 24v, or 5 amps overall. Each DC port has it's own hardware-based emergency backup port which works with float switches or any other type of on/off switch. The idea of these is a method to stop power to the port no matter what the Raspberry Pi or reef-pi says. They're also good for disabling equipment when water levels raise or drop or stopping equipment easily for maintenance.

It also has an 8 channel 0-5v PWM converter, this will convert 0-5v PWM to either a 0-10v PWM, 0-5v Analog or 0-10v Analog signal, you can select 1 of the 4 signal types using the dip switches. You can access the signal from the pluggable screw terminal connectors or use the 3.5mm sockets on the side. There's 4 sockets each with 2 signals, one on tip and Ring 1 when using TRRS plug. In the picture you'll see some labeling mistakes on faceplate, I now have the fixed version. The LED's in the RJ45's light up as well when powered up. As I had more space I also added two extra TVS diodes on the DC port mosfets across the gate and drain and source. It also has the flyback diode to protect from inductive loads.

You can use this without the main controller however you can't connect it directly to the Pi, at least not the 8 auxiliary ports, these require a 0-5v PWM input so you would need to have a PCA9685 to run it. You can connect the DC port inputs directly to GPIO pins on the Pi however you'll lose the speed control and they will just be on/off.

dc_led_ports.jpg

CAM02963-optimized2.jpg
CAM03073-optimized.jpg
CAM02969-optimized.jpg
CAM02916-optimized.jpg

Here's the post going over the mounting brackets and cooling for Raspberry Pi 3 or 4.

Last edited:

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks very nice, and love the modularity, even if you're spending more time printing cases :)

I can relate to needing to change course rapidly and repeatedly based on what parts can be sourced. Very much now risk buying parts to get _something_ out of the door.

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely modular is the way to go.
I think you have done a brilliant job and more I think of it this design has some advantage over the one I had in mind doing the modules in a hut like extensions since it gives you more space for connecting equipment.

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice Rob. As you know I am electronically challenged and haven’t read your forum in awhile so forgive me if these are dumb/redundant questions…
  1. Does v3 work with your new app you have been working on?
  2. Do have have instructions and or videos coming out on this?
  3. I briefly looked at your website, did I correctly understand that v3 comes with ReefPi 0 now?

OP
OP
robsworld78

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks very nice, and love the modularity, even if you're spending more time printing cases :)

I can relate to needing to change course rapidly and repeatedly based on what parts can be sourced. Very much now risk buying parts to get _something_ out of the door.
Thanks, my printer isn't too happy about it. Thankfully overall it's not a lot of extra. Yeah some parts including the Pi are getting harder instead easier over time, I'm always scared to look now.

OP
OP
robsworld78

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely modular is the way to go.
I think you have done a brilliant job and more I think of it this design has some advantage over the one I had in mind doing the modules in a hut like extensions since it gives you more space for connecting equipment.
Thanks, I was fighting modular vs large all-in-one, I like all-in-one as it's cleaner I feel but modular could be nice if you have large setup and want ports on different sides of room or whatever.

OP
OP
robsworld78

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice Rob. As you know I am electronically challenged and haven’t read your forum in awhile so forgive me if these are dumb/redundant questions…
  1. Does v3 work with your new app you have been working on?
  2. Do have have instructions and or videos coming out on this?
  3. I briefly looked at your website, did I correctly understand that v3 comes with ReefPi 0 now?
Thanks, it doesn't but it will work down the road, still lots to go on that. I don't have any video's but I do have some manuals going over the ports etc, you can find them here. At some point I will have to make a series of videos, I just wish I enjoyed doing that.

I am offering the Pi Zero 2 as they're very hard to find. I was lucky to order a bunch through various suppliers in various forms, some I paid quite a bit more than $15 but it was worth it. I've got backorders placed as well so hopefully I can keep stock. I'm only offering them with full kits though as I don't have that many. I get quite a few people who want everything and don't like the idea of placing a bunch of orders from all over to get a controller so I started offering complete packages.

Cheesus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, this is awesome. First time seeing this. Just curious, is automatic water testing possible with this? Or planned in the future?

I wouldn't mind have something to check the Apex, or replace it..

OP
OP
robsworld78

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, this is awesome. First time seeing this. Just curious, is automatic water testing possible with this? Or planned in the future?

I wouldn't mind have something to check the Apex, or replace it..
Glad you like you it. Can't test water parameters but it's definitely bouncing in my head. I've seen that overpriced one and I think it's something I could make. Just need a good camera, some steppers and code. A couple months ago I got playing a little on the code side and was able to read colors quite accurately from a picture. I would think it would just need a map for colors and it would split out the results then it's just a matter of getting the hardware down.

Cheesus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad you like you it. Can't test water parameters but it's definitely bouncing in my head. I've seen that overpriced one and I think it's something I could make. Just need a good camera, some steppers and code. A couple months ago I got playing a little on the code side and was able to read colors quite accurately from a picture. I would think it would just need a map for colors and it would split out the results then it's just a matter of getting the hardware down.
That would be sweet! I'd order that. Lol

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Don't need a camera, a chip color sensor works well enough for titration with color agents. If you dig apart one of the leading commercial units, its just one peristaltic pump and a few pinch valves, a glass vial, and a color sensor.

Alk is straightforward. Mixed chemistries are a bit more annoying. You can even pre-mix the pH indicator into the acid reagent.

OP
OP
robsworld78

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't need a camera, a chip color sensor works well enough for titration with color agents. If you dig apart one of the leading commercial units, its just one peristaltic pump and a few pinch valves, a glass vial, and a color sensor.
I think I've seen those sensors and was wondering about them, I will explore them more. I haven't seen the internals of one but I can imagine how simple it is. I've seen some commercial and DIY videos of them, looks like something fun to make.

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I've seen those sensors and was wondering about them, I will explore them more. I haven't seen the internals of one but I can imagine how simple it is. I've seen some commercial and DIY videos of them, looks like something fun to make.
Yeah, this is very much on my list to make, but I keep getting dragged in all sorts of other directions of late so "hobby" time hasn't been at a premium. The color sensors are straight forward, cheap, usually even I2C. I've seen them paired with either white LEDs or RGB LEDs - the RGB usually aligns to the sensitivity of the sensor perfectly.

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stepper driver (based on drv8825) is coming to reef-pi next minor release. It will be available through doser module in the beginning . the color sensor should not be a hard integration , since it’s all i2c based, we already have code to reference against.
I have to address some locking issues with macros, and after that I think we should be in a good state to start experimenting with titration

OP
OP
robsworld78

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a love hate relationship with i2c, I love because it's easy to use but I hate because it can get unreliable when used off PCB. If there's too many external i2c devices in a DIY setup it'll likely bring grief. Are there any serial versions that could use USB on pi?

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a love hate relationship with i2c, I love because it's easy to use but I hate because it can get unreliable when used off PCB. If there's too many external i2c devices in a DIY setup it'll likely bring grief. Are there any serial versions that could use USB on pi?

Not directly, steppers are usually controlled by a few configuration pins (enable, microstep select, etc) and pulses on the STEP pin.

I'm happy to collaborate on a simple USB to stepper control firmware (or USB to X). Got a partial reel of SAMD11s which would be plenty of horsepower for this sort of glue.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 42.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 11 23.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 15 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.1%
Back