Problem with aquaclear filter

GR00VY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The media basket keeps floating up a bit causing the filter to overflow into the intake side and overflow back into the tank. I read that this could be cause by a clogged sponge. However, I always rinse and squeeze mine out in tank water when I clean my tank. I don’t do it too much as I am afraid to lose the beneficial bacteria but I give it a good rinse. I am not sure what else to do to keep it down. It just started last week. I took the sponge out and have it good wringing out and put it back in. After 12 hours it was wanting to float up again. Any suggestions?

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The media basket keeps floating up a bit causing the filter to overflow into the intake side and overflow back into the tank. I read that this could be cause by a clogged sponge. However, I always rinse and squeeze mine out in tank water when I clean my tank. I don’t do it too much as I am afraid to lose the beneficial bacteria but I give it a good rinse. I am not sure what else to do to keep it down. It just started last week. I took the sponge out and have it good wringing out and put it back in. After 12 hours it was wanting to float up again. Any suggestions?
It's just a weight thing. Bag of carbon or bio media will keep it from floating.

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only time mine do that is when the sponge clogs. Sometimes it takes several good cleanings to get it to act right. Mines on tank with a suvatti puffer that eats like a wood chipper. I only have the sponge on the bottom then a mesh bag full of ceramic

OP
OP
G

GR00VY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added a pre filter sponge to help keep the bigger items from getting sucked up.

i just took the sponge out and gave a good rinse in a some tank water. Made sure the water remained clear after squeezing it out and swishing it around. Would this not get rid of all the beneficial bacteria if I am wringing the filter out so much that the bucket of water I am cleaning it in is clear?

OP
OP
G

GR00VY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am starting to get frustrated with this hob filter. Last night I squeezed out the sponge until really clean. The last bucket of water I had it in the sponge didn’t change the water color at all. Water was nice and clear. 12 hours later the basket is pushed up again on the side without the hooks. My sponge is clean I don’t understand why it keeps lifting on me. Any other suggestions?

34B1DE99-910B-4FBF-A002-FB1F8226FB21.jpeg
CEE12627-FA6E-40FD-AA13-2B5B3A1326C7.jpeg

edited to add: does rinsing sponge that much kill off beneficial bacteria?

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am starting to get frustrated with this hob filter. Last night I squeezed out the sponge until really clean. The last bucket of water I had it in the sponge didn’t change the water color at all. Water was nice and clear. 12 hours later the basket is pushed up again on the side without the hooks. My sponge is clean I don’t understand why it keeps lifting on me. Any other suggestions?

It's hard to see so what type of media are you running?

AdamNC

Lawnmower Blenny says nom nom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always cleaned my sponges under the sink with no ill effects. Used to run an SPS tank with only a AC70 and a Remora HOB skimmer. Ran like that for 4 years. Without any scientific proof, I don’t believe cleaning it under the sink caused any issues.

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The rock is your bio. The sponge is populated but it's not like your going to lose your cycle like a freshwater setup. You might need to pull the filter and clean the media area. Mines doing the same thing but I know it's because I have buildup.

OP
OP
G

GR00VY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mean clean the filter area, not just the sponges etc? I have everything a quick wipe. Maybe I will take it all down and clean everything thoroughly.

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try pulling the sponge and just running your other media to see if it stays down. You could also run pillow stuffing or poly fill which may be a good alternative if your just using it as a mechanical filter.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bag of carbon on top of the sponge as well as the biomax stuff

That's what I thought but was hoping you might have answered you were running Matrix.

I agree with @S2G. Pull the sponge and see what happens. Through process of elimination you should be able to figure out the problem.

OP
OP
G

GR00VY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rock is your bio. The sponge is populated but it's not like your going to lose your cycle like a freshwater setup. You might need to pull the filter and clean the media area. Mines doing the same thing but I know it's because I have buildup.

Good to know. I will replace sponge if problems persist. Tank was set up in September

OP
OP
G

GR00VY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I thought but was hoping you might have answered you were running Matrix.

I agree with @S2G. Pull the sponge and see what happens. Through process of elimination you should be able to figure out the problem.

I will try this.

OP
OP
G

GR00VY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently running the carbon and biomax only. If I stays down all day. I will thoroughly clean my sponge under the tap and then rinse in tank water and put back in. If it floats again I will buy a new sponge and replace since the rocks in my tank had the most BB. I was under the impression the sponge held a decent amount. Thanks for all the suggestions and help. I will update to let you all know if it works.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently running the carbon and biomax only. If I stays down all day. I will thoroughly clean my sponge under the tap and then rinse in tank water and put back in. If it floats again I will buy a new sponge and replace since the rocks in my tank had the most BB. I was under the impression the sponge held a decent amount. Thanks for all the suggestions and help. I will update to let you all know if it works.

Interested in seeing what happens. Good luck!

OP
OP
G

GR00VY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far the basket has not been pushed up. It had to be the sponge. I was out shopping this afternoon and bought a 3 pack of sponges for my filter. I think I am just going to replace my old one and put a new one in. I have had the rank running since end of august early September. It might be a good time anyway to replace it.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 46.5%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.0%
Back