Problem with ATO

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

MrsBugmaster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Tunze Osmolator Universal 3155 Auto Top Off. The past 3 days now when I go look at my tank the water level is low and the top off controller "too low" is light up. I unplug it and plug it back and in it starts working and fills the sump back up to normal. So the pump is pumping again. Next day same thing. Is the problem with the pump or the controller?

BigHildy53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pump turns off after 15 minutes. Could it be that it's taking that long to fill the tank?

OP
OP
MrsBugmaster

MrsBugmaster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pump turns off after 15 minutes. Could it be that it's taking that long to fill the tank?

No cause I refilled it manually after because it was so low.
I soaked it in vinegar for a few hours today to clean it so I will see what happens tomorrow.

OP
OP
MrsBugmaster

MrsBugmaster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I unplugged it, then manually filled with RODI water to correct level(I have a piece of tape on the sump where the water level should be) and then plugged it back in. I ran for a few seconds and shut off and all lights on controller were good. Next day it was too low again.

Justfebreezeit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
does the pump run at all? have you observed its fillspeed?

you think its intermittent?

OP
OP
MrsBugmaster

MrsBugmaster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We did have the power flicker off and then on right a way the other day. Maybe that had something to do with why it happened in the first place, but not sure is that's the cause.

OP
OP
MrsBugmaster

MrsBugmaster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the pump runs when I unplug and then plug it back in, I watched it to make sure. This is the 3rd day in a row this has happened now so not sure what it is.

OP
OP
MrsBugmaster

MrsBugmaster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After I soaked in vinegar and cleaned it today I left it out of the sump and plugged it in and the pump started pumping water in the sump, so the pump is working, just not sure if it is working all the time or an intermittent problem. I will see what happens tomorrow since in cleaned the sensor today.

NaptownPzzWtr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump. I'm having this exact same problem, except the unit keeps beeping low water (because it gets low like yours), and driving me crazy. I know it's somewhat working because it's pulled at least 8 or 9 gallons out of my reservoir in 2 weeks. Pretty frustrating to still be manually topping off after spending around $100 on this thing...

OP
OP
MrsBugmaster

MrsBugmaster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump. I'm having this exact same problem, except the unit keeps beeping low water (because it gets low like yours), and driving me crazy. I know it's somewhat working because it's pulled at least 8 or 9 gallons out of my reservoir in 2 weeks. Pretty frustrating to still be manually topping off after spending around $100 on this thing...

How old is yours? Mine is 3 or 4 years old now. I have another one on my other tank that is 8 years old. I've had to replace the pump on that one a couple years ago, otherwise have had no problems with either one until now.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too low means generally the pump has timed out. It is a 10 minute time limit. The pump could be failing (they typically need to be replaced after 2-3 years), the pump could be airlocked and unable to pump (tip it upside down to purge trapped air) or the water level could actually be very low, 10 minutes is equal to about 2 gallons of water, you can vary the pump speed and depending on head pressure it is 1-3 gallons. If too low comes on quickly, within about a minute, the controller was erased by harsh on and off switching (usually when connected to another controller) or by a power surge, we can reprogram the settings if you send it in. If too low is on with too high, this is the water damage indicator.

NaptownPzzWtr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is yours? Mine is 3 or 4 years old now. I have another one on my other tank that is 8 years old. I've had to replace the pump on that one a couple years ago, otherwise have had no problems with either one until now.
I bought it this year, and the pump is a month old. I'm going to try the advice below, and get rid of any trapped air.

forgiven1973

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m having a similar problem in which my water level is low and when I plug the pump in it runs for maybe 10 seconds then shuts off with a “water too low alarm. I haven’t tried soaking and cleaning like the guy above yet. Any other ideas?

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m having a similar problem in which my water level is low and when I plug the pump in it runs for maybe 10 seconds then shuts off with a “water too low alarm. I haven’t tried soaking and cleaning like the guy above yet. Any other ideas?

Is yours new?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back