Problems Due to Bacterial Imbalances? AquaBiomics Test Results.

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received results from AquaBiomics showing bacteria populations in my reef tank. As it turned out, this test shows my tank has bacteria indicative of a mature reef - a total of 442 bacteria types were found with a diversity score of .92 (on a scale of 0 to 1.0.) Interestingly, nitrifying bacteria are practically non-existent. Coral and fish pathogens were not found as well.
I tend to think using Florida live rock is at least partially responsible for the diversity score. Has anyone had this test done where only dry rock was used?

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are results being posted on the main thread... a lot interesting and confusing

OP
OP
Dana Riddle

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are results being posted on the main thread... a lot interesting and confusing
Thanks! I'll take a look!

U

User1

View Badges
Is this similar to what Paul B had done in a similar thread in the Chem sub forum?

Edit: Oh - and Hi :) Forgot to say that and hope all is well with you and yours.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received results from AquaBiomics showing bacteria populations in my reef tank. As it turned out, this test shows my tank has bacteria indicative of a mature reef - a total of 442 bacteria types were found with a diversity score of .92 (on a scale of 0 to 1.0.) Interestingly, nitrifying bacteria are practically non-existent. Coral and fish pathogens were not found as well.
I tend to think using Florida live rock is at least partially responsible for the diversity score. Has anyone had this test done where only dry rock was used?
Interesting results is this in the same tank we’re you currently experimenting with phytoplankton?

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
id love to see someone with a year old+ tank with only dry rock. Im approaching the 10 month mark on a dry rock only tank.
My previous tank was over two years old with only dry rock. There is a pic of it on the first page in the link in my signature.

OP
OP
Dana Riddle

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting results is this in the same tank we’re you currently experimenting with phytoplankton?
Yes, phytoplankton additions are made at least once daily to feed the Goniopora specimens. Perhaps this is the reason for low nitrifying bacteria populations? The phyto acts as a nutrient mop and out-competes bacteria? Pure speculation on my part....

OP
OP
Dana Riddle

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This article will go a long way in answering many of my questions. Thanks Eli!

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, phytoplankton additions are made at least once daily to feed the Goniopora specimens. Perhaps this is the reason for low nitrifying bacteria populations? The phyto acts as a nutrient mop and out-competes bacteria? Pure speculation on my part....

what was the dominant microbe species in your tank? Could you share the full test with us? Have all your parameters stayed low since your last thread? Sorry for all the questions

Justfebreezeit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My previous tank was over two years old with only dry rock. There is a pic of it on the first page in the link in my signature.

I remember your old tank! I follow your thread pretty regularly actually and strive for similar results.

I'm not to worried about the dry rock cant grow acro's thing, i've had 5 acros in since my cycle and they have all grown since. (albiet some of them slow and lacking color (low nutrients perhaps)).

I was just curious how the two different rock choices might differ on this test.

OP
OP
Dana Riddle

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps if you have a good amount of coral and a refugium as well Randy. Its been thought that coral and algae prefer ammonia to nitrate as well.
Nutrient preferences (NH3 and NO3) vary among plant and algae species. I can't find that paper with a quick search. Interesting topic.

OP
OP
Dana Riddle

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing. Very interesting. I wonder where the "typical sample" typically comes from? I'm guessing only advanced reef keepers, probably.
Not sure about advanced aquarists responding. I tend to think the age of the aquarium, live rock or no, etc. are more important. More testing will reveal a more complete picture, IMHO.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing. Very interesting. I wonder where the "typical sample" typically comes from? I'm guessing only advanced reef keepers, probably.

I think the “Typical sample” comes from an average from tanks tested. There’s no saying if a certain test is better than other at the moment is just out of curiosity but some patterns start to emerge from tanks tested.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Test results attached. Aquarium NO3-N = 0.4 ppm; P = 0.02 ppm.
That’s impressive, thanks for sharing. Have you got any thoughts on how the decay of phytoplankton could affect the microbes in our reef tanks?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 68 32.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back