OP
N

nero0762

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I replied to my open support case with Ecotech this morning and asked for a new controller with the latest firmware and a new power supply... the only pieces I haven't swapped out yet. We'll see what they say.
Wow, well that sucks. Here's the response I got from EcoTech:
Caesar,
My name is Alex Young and I am the Customer Service Manger here at EcoTech Marine and I appreciate you getting back to us. Please keep in mind, each case is unique and we send the correct replacement parts for your specific situation. If you continue to have issues, we can get you replacement parts but assuming everything is working fine you will not need a new power supply or controller. If you have any other questions, you will need to call in today.
Thanks again,
Alex​

This was in response to my response to the open case. I said that the noise was still a problem, and that we should consider swapping out the other components (power supply and controller). Their response? "Call us if you have a problem."

Do I call them again or just work with BRS to see if they'll help me out with a straight up return?

OP
OP
N

nero0762

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Closing this out... I tested out the VarioS-6 tonight, and I'll be going with that. You can see my comparison here.
And a HUGE thanks to BRS. When I shared my frustration and disappointment with the M1, they offered to take it back in exchange for full store credit. Those guys are awesome!

kingdog22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's unfortunate! I couldn't imagine trading my L1 or M1 for anything other then an Ecotech!
And their customer service has been absolutely beyond amazing. And I've been dealing with then for tears now. Man are you missing out on a bad butt pump.

Damien Buckley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having the exact same problems with the M1. Had it 6 months and just replaced. Also silent with no back pressure but sounds horrible when connected. New one is no better - also had stuff on the impeller. If anything it sounds worse after cleaning. I also have a Red Sea Reefer but only the 250. This one is going back too.

3mm3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the reefer return plumbing the hose barb that screws into the hard pipe did you check to see if that's a restriction? I swapped that piece out with a less restrictive part.
Side by side comparison.
IMG_20170714_1038067.jpg
IMG_20170714_1038240.jpg

AcanthurusRex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine screamed for quit a while. I could here it across the house. Difficult to stay in the same room with the noise. I had it replaced by ecotech but the new one was really no better. I put a silicon pad under it and it helped quite a bit. I also installed a section if silicon tubing to the hard piping which helped a bit. Six months later and it no longer screams. I think the noise faded away gradually.

Damien Buckley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the reefer return plumbing the hose barb that screws into the hard pipe did you check to see if that's a restriction? I swapped that piece out with a less restrictive part.
Side by side comparison.
IMG_20170714_1038067.jpg
IMG_20170714_1038240.jpg

Thanks but no, I haven't looked at that. Ultimately if the Vectra is going to whine, it can go back - I don't really want to start messing with the Reefer plumbing. The weird thing is that the noise changes over time as the other poster above has mentioned.

Also, wouldn't dialling back the power solve that if it was just restrictive plumbing?

My Eheim 1262 is quieter…

Damien Buckley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine screamed for quit a while. I could here it across the house. Difficult to stay in the same room with the noise. I had it replaced by ecotech but the new one was really no better. I put a silicon pad under it and it helped quite a bit. I also installed a section if silicon tubing to the hard piping which helped a bit. Six months later and it no longer screams. I think the noise faded away gradually.

Yeah, I can hear mine at the other end of the house too. The odd thing is, the first one I had did get quieter, but then it came back after about 6 months use. I stripped & cleaned it and it was worse lol. That's why I returned it. For supposedly 'silent' pumps, I just think Vectra's are lemons frankly.

Damien Buckley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What pump are you comparing the noise level to?
I've heard the vectras and they are pretty darn quiet compared to a mag or other bulky return pumps. They are not silent but very quiet I would say.

I've used eheim 1262 before which is a great pump and fairly quiet.

Right now I'm using a tunze silent 1073.004 I think and it is very quiet.

These last two are not dc or controllable but are rock solid and fairly quiet.

How does the Tunze compare to the Vectra (and 1262) in your opinion? Also, have you seen/heard the DC Tunze silence by any chance?

I 'upgraded' to an M1 from an Eheim 1262. With the 1262 I just get the low sort of grumble that you expect with a large AC pump but the Vectra whines, loudly. Reading this full thread it seems like perhaps the Reefer plumbing is restrictive and people who have success with. Vectra's have hard plumbed them which I'm really not keen on getting into.

Question is, do I send it back again, try different plumbing, go back to my 1262 or try something else entirely?

I think blaming the tank plumbing is a bit of a cop-out - Ecotech know how these pumps are used and claim 'silent' but it seems that Vectra's are really not fit for purpose with soft hose plumbing and any degree of back pressure.

racin2438

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ours is super quiet , no noise at all...

I would recommend that you install the cage that goes over the inlet....small stuff can get in there and possibly damage the impeller ...
also, my controller had the green light that fades in and out not steady like yours....

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

nero0762

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Side by side comparison.
IMG_20170714_1038067.jpg
IMG_20170714_1038240.jpg

I love my Reefer, but the return plumbing is a real disappointment. There's the piece you talk about here, and the final elbow in the overflow just before the return outlet is ridiculous. That bend is 1/2" a best, despite the plumbing before and after being ~3/4".
I'd love to figure out how to replace this. I have no doubt flow would go up and strain on the pump would go down.
2017-08-06 10.19.54.jpg

Damien Buckley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my Reefer, but the return plumbing is a real disappointment. There's the piece you talk about here, and the final elbow in the overflow just before the return outlet is ridiculous. That bend is 1/2" a best, despite the plumbing before and after being ~3/4".
I'd love to figure out how to replace this. I have no doubt flow would go up and strain on the pump would go down.
2017-08-06 10.19.54.jpg

Yeah, I think this is a big problem. In other news I think my replacement M1 is better than the last one. I'm trying to figure out how I can change my plumbing a bit to take the pressure off a bit.

Currently I pump into my chiller and this is connected to the return hose. People have suggested t-ing off to the chiller and back into the sump but I don't really see how this is more efficient as only a portion of the water will pass through it. Any thoughts?

Reefltx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I think this is a big problem. In other news I think my replacement M1 is better than the last one. I'm trying to figure out how I can change my plumbing a bit to take the pressure off a bit.

Currently I pump into my chiller and this is connected to the return hose. People have suggested t-ing off to the chiller and back into the sump but I don't really see how this is more efficient as only a portion of the water will pass through it. Any thoughts?

Because you don't need that much gph going to the chiller. I have mines Teed off and runs back to the drain chamber on my reefer.

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does the Tunze compare to the Vectra (and 1262) in your opinion? Also, have you seen/heard the DC Tunze silence by any chance?

I 'upgraded' to an M1 from an Eheim 1262. With the 1262 I just get the low sort of grumble that you expect with a large AC pump but the Vectra whines, loudly. Reading this full thread it seems like perhaps the Reefer plumbing is restrictive and people who have success with. Vectra's have hard plumbed them which I'm really not keen on getting into.

Question is, do I send it back again, try different plumbing, go back to my 1262 or try something else entirely?

I think blaming the tank plumbing is a bit of a cop-out - Ecotech know how these pumps are used and claim 'silent' but it seems that Vectra's are really not fit for purpose with soft hose plumbing and any degree of back pressure.

They definitely take back pressure into account. Vectras have one of the highest head heights available for DC pumps. Maybe you should be using the L1 if you want to go straight off the pump with 1" barb. You would need the L1 barb and cage kit though. That's the pump I'll be using on my 180 because the tank has 1" dual returns.

I thought about doing 1.25" from the pump, through both UV's and have the output of the UV's go back down to 1" to connect back to the tank. I thought it would help with head pressure but I didn't want to bottleneck the flow. Rather keep a 1" connection all the way through.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 11 19.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 32 56.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 8.8%
Back