Problems with Ecotech Marine Vectra M1 pump

Monkeynaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is exactly what mine sounds like at 100 percent. I look forward to hearing about the third pump. Hopefully it quiets down.

OP
OP
N

nero0762

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's not sand under the pump in the video is it?
Its a new tank, and we just added the sand. That's the "silt" that made it through a 100micron filter sock. Its been removed since that photo, and the pump was cleaned out.

Tonight, I'm going to try the pumps (original and first replacement) in our mixing can with no plumbing just to rule out any environmental factors. More to come...

OP
OP
N

nero0762

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I finally got a chance to test both the pumps, standalone(original, and first replacement). I tested them with no plumbing/fittings in a half-full Rubbermaid 32 gal can.
And.... they were both pretty close to silent. When they were at 80-90%, I could tell they were running, but just barely.
So, that means I need to figure out what part of my system is causing the noise.
I've removed my manifold from the equation, and found a few things...

First, any back-pressure impacts the noise. Not a big surprise. But even switching from the now-standard Broadfield loc-line return splitter to the factory one makes a small-but-noticeable difference in the noise. When I built my manifold, I used 1" tubing and pipe up to the last mile, and just before it connects to the RSR return plumbing, it switched from 1" PVC to 3/4" pvc barb fitting (then about six inches 3/4" silicone tubing to the RSR barb). This has to be putting a bit of back pressure on the pump.
Second, the orientation of the pump relative to the nearest pane of glass plays a pretty big role in the noise. The testing I did without the manifold was all done in the skimmer chamber because the soft tubing I have on hand won't reach the return pump chamber. And, when normally oriented and within 2" of a sump wall, the pump is considerably louder than when tilted at a 45 degree angle (intake pointed up) its considerably quieter. You can see/hear the difference in this video.

So, my conclusion at this point is that the noise is being caused by a bunch of small things adding up. But primarily due to back-pressure and pump orientation relative to the glass.

Anyone have any other thoughts or suggested tests?
If there's anyone else running the M1 in a RedSea Reefer, can you post pics of how you have the pump set up in your sump (thank in advance)?

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
and pump orientation relative to the glass.

This is what I was wondering about. Kind of like a drum effect?
IDK.

Something I found out the other night that was kind of was startling to me.
I just went through a 2 day power outage and Friday night I tried something different.
I used a small Yamaha generator placed out in my shop and ran a power cord to my tank to run the M1 ( which I have maintained was silent ) and a heater and a MP40QD all night.
The house was totally silent. There was no noise in the neighborhood. Nothing. Everybody had shut off their generators and gone to bed. You know how quiet it gets when the power is out.

I first plugged in the M1. That's when I heard it. A very noticeable whine. Not really that loud, but it was there.
So I guess it depends on how much background noise you have in your house will determine if you consider these pumps silent.

This morning with the power restored I stuck my head inside my stand and couldn't really hear the pumps ( either the M1 or the L1 )

OP
OP
N

nero0762

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more data point to add...
To get some comparison, I swapped in my Sicce Syncra 3.5 that we use to feed water to the tank from the mixing/RODI station in the basement. It was _considerably_ louder than the M1 at its worst. This is the only Sicce I've owned, but I know they're considered quiet pumps. So, maybe I'm just being too picky? My girlfriend can definitely hear the M1, too, but doesn't think its as bad as I do.

Ecotech sent out a 3rd pump which will be here tomorrow. As this point, I expect the same performance as the first two.
Which means now I'm faced with the decision of living with the noise, or compromising the set up (remove the manifold and return splitter, and run the pump at 50% or less). I guess I could try another pump. But enough people have successfully used the M1's, that I'm starting to believe its not the pump. I guess once I test the 3rd one I can rule out the possibility that I just got a bad pump.

Monkeynaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like I said before, My M1 sounds EXACTLY like yours does. I was hoping you would find something different with the third but I figured it would be the same odds as winning the lottery. I had a reef octopus varios-6 before the M1 and it was louder than the M1 with my setup. I am only getting about 600 GPH with mine because of all the back pressure from the head height (6 ft) and 4 90 degree bends, and finally a T that puts water back in the tank with two 1/2 inch locline returns. Also I have a ball valve in the line that stays full open.

My point is that I have to run the M1 at full power and still only get 600 GPH because of the back pressure in the system. I hate the wine sound, but it is probably the best I will get with my current setup.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running two m1 and I can't hear a thing I'm hard plumbed and the sound of the water flowing is way louder then the pumps they are at 80%
IMG_1471.JPG
I hope u figure it out because it's truly awesome not hearing a pump anymore

Monkeynaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running two m1 and I can't hear a thing I'm hard plumbed and the sound of the water flowing is way louder then the pumps they are at 80%
IMG_1471.JPG
I hope u figure it out because it's truly awesome not hearing a pump anymore
Those things are right against the wall too. How many 90 turns do you have and how high is the return being pumped?

Maybe the answer is hard plumbing direct to the M1

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those things are right against the wall too. How many 90 turns do you have and how high is the return being pumped?

Maybe the answer is hard plumbing direct to the M1
Ah enough
They come up from the pumps one is straight up and feeds a manifold two 45's thru a wall to a sea swirl
The other straight up 90 straight across 90 straight up 90 thru a wall and out a sea swirl yea there is about and inch or two between the intake and the sump wall

Sea swirls I guess would be two 90s?? I don't know or really care
IMG_1472.JPG
IMG_1473.JPG
IMG_1474.JPG
IMG_1475.JPG

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May be a dumb question but in my other setup I had a problem when the intake was restricted the pump often cavitiezed the water and was louder then normal. U using anything besides the blue collar on the intake?

Monkeynaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing on the intake. This isn't cavitation. It's a mechanical motor wine. Amp draw

OP
OP
N

nero0762

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing on the intake. This isn't cavitation. It's a mechanical motor wine. Amp draw
Same for me. Not even using the blue collar. And there's 10+ inches between the inlet and the front sump wall.
Fingers crossed for the third pump.

ReeferDave01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought my new. Connected to plastic hose that splits into 2 returns. Cannot hear it at all even with cabinet doors open. Sounds like issue with that specific pump.

OP
OP
N

nero0762

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my plumbing set up on the Reefer with the M1.

Great setup. And I think I modeled mine after yours. Same number of 90s. But I used 1" pipe in case I needed extra flow for accessories, and I made the last connection with soft tubing. Maybe I should copy it exactly...

OP
OP
N

nero0762

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great setup. And I think I modeled mine after yours. Same number of 90s. But I used 1" pipe in case I needed extra flow for accessories, and I made the last connection with soft tubing. Maybe I should copy it exactly...
Here's a pic

ab6e923790dc92ef751ca91cf8cc4495.jpg

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 13.6%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 19 43.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 16 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.5%
Back