ChaseMiddleton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ACBCF049-AE0F-4E5F-A6F9-2125576C740B.jpeg
Anyone know how to connect or use the Hydros Smart Plug? The instructions came with an app called “Smart Life.” I unfortunately couldn't get it connected. I also checked Hydros webpge and found instructions for setup. It wanted me to connect to Hydros app instead. Even Hydros app wasn’t working with it. Also waiting back for CoralVue support. Anyone have any ideas? C1F7D504-E84A-4A10-9DE9-1641E6030810.jpeg

mnpackerfan38

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is really weird, I'd imagine the Hydros app is what you should use. I do believe this and their wifi strip use generic made in China wifi strips for both, but also that they've tested them and should provide support for them. That's definitely confusing that the instructions list "Smart Life" as the app to use, Coralvue/Hydros should really change that.

I have the 4 outlet wifi strip, and have not had great results as it loses connectivity often. It's also in my basement where the wifi isn't the best, though it's good enough for me to work from home, right next to my tank. Hope you get a solid answer from Coralvue or someone here!

jrill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have to use the Hydros app. It only connects through a 2.4 network. Your phone must also be on that network to connect. Your network must have separate ssid names for 2.4 and 5

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a hydros control module? I believe the plug will not work without one.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So... I believe unless you have a Hydros controller, you can not use the app with the smart plug. In a round about way I bought the the same power strip that hydros uses on Amazon but not the Hydros version. Then later I saw that Hydros used the same one. I thought cool I can use the Hydros app with it... nope. I could if I had a controller. This was confirmed by a rep. It was a frustrating thing at first because the default setting on the strip was all off after a power outage. but then I used it as an advantage and set a protocol if a power outage happens wait 10 to 15 mins to turn plug 1-4 back on. I did this because sometimes it takes a bit for my wifi to come back on line. eg. I would want my return pump to start up asap but my skimmer a few mins later, etc. I was able to do this with the smartlife app. I think it uses Alexa to facilitate this. I believe I am going to go with a Hydros controller in the near future, because I have talked to ppl. that have used their system and the app is amazballs! Two, NOT so happy that most my favorite brands are under one umbrella now. That usually means profits over quality. So I really want to support a quality competing brand.
Oh, I'm sorry your ?... yeah just use the smartlife app in the meantime.

jpcaram

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was straightforward to find anyway:

$23

So, Coralvue, is just reprogramming it and repackaging it, and charging almost double. Then blaming people's wifi setup for the poor performance.

I will probably get one, open it, see what's inside and report back here. I don't want to break open my "genuine" Coralvue one :D

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The chipset or whatever that attaches to WiFi is older tech I think. I had a difficult time to connect to my 2.5/5g router. I have found that the newer tech doesn’t seem to have that issue. According to the Hydros rep. You can just use the Amazon one. When I bought mine the price difference was only a few dollars. The Amazon one has dropped $15 bucks. Focustronic also uses this same unit

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 38.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 29.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back