Process of Selling Fish/Coral

LordNecro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! Not sure if this is the right forum to post in but I'm looking for advice on letting my fish and coral go.

I've had my tank for almost a year and a half so far, however, I'm moving away for college soon and my family can't maintain the tank.
Currently my livestock consists of:
2 Clownfish (Black storm and a Mocha or Orange storm)
Pink streak wrasse
Cleaning crew (Hermit crabs, snails, cleaner shrimp, etc)

ASD HG Torch (2 head)
Aussie Gold Torch (4h)
UC Ironman Blasto (Multiple heads+baby need to count again)
Rdpd Blasto (Multiple heads)
GMK Zoa (6-7 heads)
Money Shot (6-7heads)
Mythical Corals Electus Mushroom (3 large 2 babies, lost some coloring)
Rainbow Scoly

The tank hasn't been too well maintained within the last few months as I was busy, but the coral and livestock have all been doing well and no pests, only some minor algae. I'm planning to do a big water change/cleaning before taking pictures and letting them go. I was thinking about creating a selling thread and seeing if anyone local is interested in coming over and helping me remove all the coral/fish and letting them have it for free for helping me as I have no experience in shipping or transporting livestock. Would it be better to charge at least something as most of the coral are pretty high-end when I picked them up. Another option would be to contact my LFS which I have bought from before but I'm not planning on starting another tank for the next few years.

My end goal is letting my livestock go to someone that can take care of them better than I can/have.

Last edited:

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gave my fish and coral away to people that wanted them and could take care of them But did not really have the funds to buy them at LFS prices. Not free. I charged a little as to make people have "skin in the game".

OP
OP
LordNecro

LordNecro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gave my fish and coral away to people that wanted them and could take care of them But did not really have the funds to buy them at LFS prices. Not free. I charged a little as to make people have "skin in the game".
Yeah I'm thinking this is the way I will do it as well, just wanted some input. Thank you! Just wondering, how'd you calculate how much to charge, I wanted to charge as little as possible as well but didn't want to just create random numbers. Mostly hoping people can take care of them

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where are you located?

I doubt there would be much interest in the fish but you could definitely sell and ship the coral. I would be happy to help somebody break down a tank and take those inhabitants off their hands.

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not let any of your live stock go for free. Tons of people will try to take advantage of you and then go and sell the coral as soon get it in their hands

OP
OP
LordNecro

LordNecro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where are you located?

I doubt there would be much interest in the fish but you could definitely sell and ship the coral. I would be happy to help somebody break down a tank and take those inhabitants off their hands.
Located in NYC so it shouldn't be too hard to find people who might be interested. I changed my post just to make it sort of clear that I'm not intending to make back what I spent or profit, more so of trying to find someone who can take care of the coral. I'm totally open to idea and have thought about having someone experienced helping me break down my tank.

OP
OP
LordNecro

LordNecro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not let any of your live stock go for free. Tons of people will try to take advantage of you and then go and sell the coral as soon get it in their hands
Got it! Just wondering, what might a fair way of pricing my live stock?

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it! Just wondering, what might a fair way of pricing my live stock?
I would go ahead and look at the live stock selling forums and price them similar to others. I know a one head ASD Holy grail goes for $800 a head, which why you shouldn’t give it away for free.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back